Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192755 times)

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #300 on: December 17, 2008, 04:18:27 pm »
Trying to play through Chrono Cross again, but I keep getting distracted and want to play Xenogears because I've never beat it. So I end up playing for a while and switching and not getting very much progress on either. I keep hearing good things about Xenogears so I guess I'm just wondering if it's really as good as everyone makes it out to be? It just can't seem to hold my attention.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 17, 2008, 07:06:09 pm »
Thanks V_Translanka. I've heard conflicting things about SaGa Frontier. I guess compared to Chrono Trigger (and Xenogears, see below Jutty) many RPG's just pale in comparison. I have many RPG games that I played and beat once but have no intention of playing again. Like Rogue Galaxy. I mean, it was a pretty decent game (despite having a sub-par story) and it was pretty and enormously fun to play - but I play RPG's for the story and it just didn't deliver for me. Now I'm left trying to find an RPG I haven't played but with a great story since I'm bored with all my old ones.

Trying to play through Chrono Cross again, but I keep getting distracted and want to play Xenogears because I've never beat it. So I end up playing for a while and switching and not getting very much progress on either. I keep hearing good things about Xenogears so I guess I'm just wondering if it's really as good as everyone makes it out to be? It just can't seem to hold my attention.

It is my favorite RPG along with Chrono Trigger. Xenogears takes off slowly, but it's well worth it. That is, only if you like story driven RPGs! It is largely regarded as unfinished and the majority of the second disk relegates forward plot movement to narration by the main characters.  The game starts off very slowly but quickly picks up by the time you get to Bledavik. I found the Deathblow battle system and Gear customization to be very fun as well, especially near the end of the game where due to several likely overlooked programming errors you can get uber-awesome customization that far surpass the "ultimate" Gear parts for sale late in the game.

But the story is really where the game shines, as I'm sure you've heard before. Give it a chance. Xenogears has the deepest and most complicated story of any RPG I've ever played.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 07:07:58 pm by chrono eric »

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 17, 2008, 07:08:12 pm »
...OA...Original Appearance?

No. O.A. generally means "Official Art"

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 18, 2008, 01:45:35 pm »
I just started Strong bad's cool game for attractive people chapter five.  It's by far the best one.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 18, 2008, 07:18:06 pm »
I've given up on trying to find a new and simultaneously worthy rpg to spend my time playing. I'll just play Lunar 2 again.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 18, 2008, 09:45:57 pm »
I've given up on trying to find a new and simultaneously worthy rpg to spend my time playing. I'll just play Lunar 2 again.

I just started Luna 1 for the first time. I was also trying to find a good rpg, and I remembered this series... Good stuff.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #306 on: December 18, 2008, 09:50:06 pm »
I was playing Dissidia until my PSP's LCD decided to mess up even more...

Matt72

• Porrean (+50)
  • Pink Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 18, 2008, 09:51:35 pm »

I just started Luna 1 for the first time. I was also trying to find a good rpg, and I remembered this series... Good stuff.

Oh sweet. I love Lunar. The characters are so awesome, especially Royce. <3 I've never played the sequel though.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 18, 2008, 10:06:40 pm »
Lunar was an awesome series... Well, Lunar: Silver Star Story (Complete) and Lunar: Eternal Blue (Complete) were.  The rest were pretty awful.

Gosh, how I miss Game Arts...  It was such an awesome company.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 18, 2008, 11:00:39 pm »
Friend of mine has CT SNES on her emulator.

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #310 on: December 19, 2008, 07:45:07 pm »
Anyone here play WoW?

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 19, 2008, 07:49:32 pm »

Yeah Lunar 1 is one of my favorite games ever. Right up there with CT and Xenogears. Many people like Lunar 2 better, but I didn't for some reason. I'm thinking about playing it again though because I've only played Lunar 2 once and Lunar 1 I don't know how many times.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 19, 2008, 08:17:07 pm »
Did this thread just have a name change?

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 19, 2008, 09:04:31 pm »
I think so... *goes off to read page 1*

EDIT: Seems Jutty felt like renaming it. Can't say I blame him.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 19, 2008, 10:35:46 pm »
Damn I just figured out that I own a copy of Vagrant Story and that I have never even completed that game! I always somehow get distracted and end up playing another game...