Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192693 times)

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #2220 on: February 06, 2012, 03:56:35 pm »
Final Fantasy XIII-2 is probably the closest thing to come to a combination of CT and CC...

I have been playing for about 25 hours now and have barely scratched the surface trying to do everything possible in each area. It is really good, better than most of the negative reviews are making it out to be. Has anyone played it yet? I really think every compendiumite should try it out. There's no harm in renting it, right?

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: February 06, 2012, 05:40:52 pm »
Final Fantasy XIII-2 is probably the closest thing to come to a combination of CT and CC...

I have been playing for about 25 hours now and have barely scratched the surface trying to do everything possible in each area. It is really good, better than most of the negative reviews are making it out to be. Has anyone played it yet? I really think every compendiumite should try it out. There's no harm in renting it, right?

I have been saying this exact thing for a while now, based off playing the demo. I don't own a copy of the game yet but I will when there are ample used copies available, absolutely.

Ema

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Truth Filter, Goodness Filter & Utility Filter...
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #2222 on: February 07, 2012, 04:46:43 pm »
I completely lost faith in Square after FFXIV...

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: February 07, 2012, 11:24:20 pm »

I've been doing everything in all the times, minus the things that require new game plus. Its gameplay is what I wanted with 13.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: February 08, 2012, 01:09:43 am »
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/02/square-enix-working-on-an-unannounced-title-details-to-be-revealed-later-this-year/

Looks like Tetsuya Nomura is up to something again. Secrets, secrets. There's also that one game by Ryutaro Ichimura that I've yet to hear more of. I think Square Enix should finish what they have on their plate (i.e., Versus) before starting anew. Of course, something not Final Fantasy would be wonderful.

Speaking of, I see the reviews of XIII-2 are starting. I'm interested, but I don't have the time at the moment, and I don't want to enter expecting "the next best thing" to CT/CC. I also never played XIII.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: February 13, 2012, 10:39:49 am »
I have been saying this exact thing for a while now, based off playing the demo. I don't own a copy of the game yet but I will when there are ample used copies available, absolutely.

I am very much enjoying my time with it. The story is very interesting and the gameplay fun. The music is also another highlight as there's just about every genre from techno, to heavy metal, pop, and strings... VERY diverse soundtrack with lyrics in many of them.

The demo was very immersive and got me hooked, but I was already excited back when this game was announced in January 2011 and when I beat the game of FFXIII back in the Spring of 2010 (somehow in the back of my mind I knew it couldn't end there...)

I've been doing everything in all the times, minus the things that require new game plus. Its gameplay is what I wanted with 13.

Same here mate! There is so much you can do. I have been playing slots and doing chocobo races. I also try to visit the mystic in case she teaches me new Fragment skills. But yea I am trying to find all of the hidden items and monsters by using Moogle throw. I am now past 50 hours in and am at Augusta Tower. I am so getting a Chronopolis and Tron feeling from that area. The music is also funky cool.

Speaking of, I see the reviews of XIII-2 are starting. I'm interested, but I don't have the time at the moment, and I don't want to enter expecting "the next best thing" to CT/CC. I also never played XIII.

Well, I would not delve into too many reviews because they are going to be extremely biased because of the things that don't make it a "true FF" game or they will bash the story or something... honestly, the game is quite good, maybe not the "next best thing" since CT/CC, but there are some definite hints at Chrono in this game. Time-space mechanics are very interesting in this story, and since we have all tasted Chrono, understanding the plot of XIII-2 will be easier. Regarding XIII, there is a "Beginner's Primer" in this game that tells you exactly what happened in the prequel by each chapter, and you can always YouTube the ending and such.

All in all guys, I definitely recommend XIII-2 for everyone here.

EDIT - 1000th post!! "awwwwww yeeeeeeea!!" -Karsh

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: February 22, 2012, 03:53:26 pm »
My brother and I got grabbed Asura's Wrath yesterday. In just the first episode, a giant planet-eating monster pops out of Earth. We were both like, "Hey, that's like Lavos!" Then it shoots thousands of red needles into the air. :lol:

Anyway, if you like Gurren Lagann, you'll probably enjoy Asura's Wrath.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: March 29, 2012, 11:47:41 pm »
http://www.slashgear.com/playstation-orbis-and-xbox-720-both-restrict-used-games-29220577/

Thought this would be more fitting to put here. So, what do you guys think of this?

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #2228 on: March 30, 2012, 02:17:58 am »
If the rumors are true, that's horrid. The only people that these systems would help are middlemen. Even if we accept that used game sales "ought" to be new game sales,* people are going to get screwed a number of completely innocent and beyond their power situations. And the people who actually make games aren't going to see an extra dime because of this, because most of us don't see residuals anyway. I sincerely hope that Microsoft and Sony do not implement any such systems in their upcoming consoles.

*Which I don't. As much as I'd love it, as a developer, if everyone only bought new games, it's not illegitimate to buy and sell used games.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: March 31, 2012, 01:12:34 am »
Can't say I'm surprised by this, but I should point out that people are needlessly panicking over the prospect of losing all of their purchased games if their system happens to die.  I really don't think Sony or MS will be that dumb.  More likely they will adopt a Steam-type model where every game purchased will be tied to a certain user account, not a particular system.

Still, I'm a bit unnerved about publishers being able to set their own prices for older titles, rather than having the market do it.

Also, this policy may do more harm than good when you consider that people who purchase a bad game are essentially stuck with that purchase.  They wouldn't get any of their money back.  This will make consumers much more cautious with their dollars, perhaps to the point that they just won't buy the system and risk getting burned.  Even if it doesn't go that far, you would almost certainly see pre-order sales fall, and that would be very bad for developers who depend on that.

tripehound

• Porrean (+50)
  • Autistic Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: March 31, 2012, 09:10:14 pm »
I'd like to know what his source is. That's the first time in my life I've even heard the term "Playstation Orbis," much less what the software may or may not be capable of.

It seems a tad early to be getting too up in arms about it.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: April 13, 2012, 04:44:29 am »
Gamespot is now taking notice of the increasing ire of gamers over rumors that the new X-Box and Playstation will require a continuous online connection to play games.  I daresay that if Gamespot is publishing this article, there may be some substance to the rumors.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/why-always-online-isnt-consumer-friendly-6370099/

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: April 15, 2012, 01:38:51 am »
Duuuuuude, Victor Ireland just gave a cool interview to RPGFan.

Holy crap, a $500,000 Kickstarter campaign, though!? That really makes me appreciate just how much all those Working Designs goodie bags and voice acting must have cost back in the day.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:42:54 am by FaustWolf »

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2233 on: April 15, 2012, 02:56:31 am »
RPGFan: Vic, you worked on Miami Law - do you think that visual novels can be successful in North America?

Victor Ireland: Miami Law was a weird title in that I originally was just helping the Japanese team as a coordinator, before it was even called Miami Law. After taking them to law enforcement meetings in Miami, doing gun training, and a bunch of other research in Miami I facilitated for them, they asked me to help localize the title, so I did. It would not have been the visual novel I would have chosen for Gaijinworks, but it turned out okay. I think there is a place for visual novels in the US market, but it will take time to give them a chance to grow. In fact, a number of titles on my "to do" list would be classified as visual novels. Whether or not they actually happen isn't sure, but I definitely have my eye on a handful of them I really would like to do.
Aww, man!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: April 15, 2012, 08:47:35 pm »
Oh, Victor Ireland... The first RPG I ever played was Chrono Trigger. The second was Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. You all have no idea how big of a soft spot for Working Designs I have! I am tempted to donate funds to this, which is something I have yet to do in the video game arena. I trust Ireland's video game interests (and intent) and can totally buy into his endeavors.

Here's hoping for more Lunar games from Game Arts and localizations from Ireland's friends! :)