Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192709 times)

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1875 on: January 07, 2011, 10:54:03 pm »
The overwhelming majority of protagonists since FFVII imo have been brooding emo boys. There are a few exceptions but man I really hated Squall lol. I'm glad you are enjoying the game tho.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1876 on: January 08, 2011, 05:05:13 am »
Yeah, I kinda prefer badass characters over emo ones myself, although I don't really mind the latter.  :lol: Personally, I loved Cid's (FFVII) attitude.

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #1877 on: January 10, 2011, 02:17:23 pm »
See, I think the word "emo" is frequently misused. A character is "emo" if they 1) spend tons of time whining about 2) something stupid or easily remedied. Squall barely says ANYTHING, let alone talking about his feelings, so I don't really understand why he's classified as "emo" for any reason other than his typical Nomura character design. I like that - I'll take it anyday over a constantly-talkative "HEY GUYS LET'S SAVE THE WORLD!!" protagonist, at any rate. What I like about him is that he's kind of a downer. He's kind of a dick. The writers actually had the courage to create a character that wasn't an unambiguously wonderful hero and that, maybe, not everyone would instantly like (or possibly ever like). There's some nuance to him - he's harder to classify than "good guy", "bad guy" or "antihero". There's some personality to him - and like the people we meet in real life, it's not necessarily a personality we find appealing. We could use more characters like that in video games. It's too bad that the rest of the cast are (thus far) two-dimensional anime cliches, though. (Except for Seifer, who clearly has some depth to him.)

Don't get me wrong, so far the game is still one of my less-enjoyed Final Fantasy games, and I definitely can't see myself ever replaying it after I'm done (though FF games rarely offer much in terms of replay value anyway). The story moves forward at a molasses pace and with no driving goal or motivation for the player or the character. Far too much of the time is spent wading through entirely non-interactive dialogue, and far too little time is spent actually, y'know, PLAYING a GAME. (Triple Triad doesn't count.) The reason I'm still playing is in the hopes that the game will eventually "open up", allowing me actual room to explore, fight bad guys, optimize my party and do all the other stuff that one usually associates with PLAYING an RPG. I imagine I probably will enjoy Final Fantasy IX a lot more, though, when I get around to it.

Trebuchet

• Guardian (+100)
  • Mister Jean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: January 10, 2011, 04:10:25 pm »
ELITE BEAT AGENTS ARE GO

I like this game.
I don't even know why, as I hate a lot of the songs.
But I really, really, like this game.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: January 11, 2011, 01:09:52 am »
So, I recently decided to play Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, to give the game a try, and I must say, I'm not dissapointed. I really like that game. It's been fun, the story amazing so far, and the trials very interesting, even though finding them challenging at time, but I like that anyway.

I certainly wasn't really expecting what to find before playing, but I don't regret that now.  :lol:

Trebuchet

• Guardian (+100)
  • Mister Jean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: January 11, 2011, 02:40:14 am »
Yeah, Phoenix Wright is definitely a winner. The first four cases are great, and all lead into eachother quite well - the fifth is a bit of an exception, as it's more of an isolated incident added for the DS game (the original game was a GBA release). However, it makes up for it by containing flashy new DS operated 3D flashy stuff, and the characters show up in a latter Ace Attorney game.

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: January 11, 2011, 03:07:37 am »
ELITE BEAT AGENTS ARE GO

I like this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXZGzhsS-5I

I really enjoyed Elite Beat Agents too. Some of the songs made me rage tho.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:09:45 am by Jutty »

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: January 11, 2011, 04:21:19 am »
Do not mean to interrupt the current discussion, but has anyone ever played the two Legaia RPG games?

Legend of Legaia - PS1

Legaia 2 Duel Saga - PS2

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #1883 on: January 11, 2011, 06:41:39 pm »
Phoenix Wright is one of those games I always wanted to get, but then every time the opportunity presented itself I always got something else instead. One of these days I swear I'll play it... ONE OF THESE DAYS.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1884 on: January 11, 2011, 08:01:26 pm »
Squall is a sane man in a world where fucking everyone and everything is batshit and out to get him. It's pretty understandable he's such a dick. He's a surprisingly well-developed character, too.

Then again, there's that whole "Squall's been dead since the end of disc 1" theory... http://squallsdead.com/

Phoenix Wright is one of those games I always wanted to get, but then every time the opportunity presented itself I always got something else instead. One of these days I swear I'll play it... ONE OF THESE DAYS.

Play ittttttttttt

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: January 11, 2011, 08:04:07 pm »
Then again, there's that whole "Squall's been dead since the end of disc 1" theory... http://squallsdead.com/

Those theories are just dumb. But I'd still give them credit for having that many free time and effort to make all that stuff, as wrong as it may be...

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: January 11, 2011, 10:53:42 pm »

Those theories are just dumb. But I'd still give them credit for having that many free time and effort to make all that stuff, as wrong as it may be...

I dunno, they raise a good argument. And besides, some people speak the same way about us at the Compendium because of theories like TB and TTI

Trebuchet

• Guardian (+100)
  • Mister Jean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: January 11, 2011, 11:01:53 pm »
ELITE BEAT AGENTS ARE GO

I like this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXZGzhsS-5I

I really enjoyed Elite Beat Agents too. Some of the songs made me rage tho.

Haha, that Mega64 link is what I've been sending to people asking what I've been playing.

The song I just played hurt my hand more than a marathon writing session.

Trebuchet

• Guardian (+100)
  • Mister Jean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: January 12, 2011, 09:12:16 pm »
Ghost Trick: A game with Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann inspired visuals by the same people who brought us the Ace Attorney series, complete with surreal humor. The gameplay revolves around physics based puzzles and the main character is nonchalantly dead (and he has  :franky sunglasses on all the time). I'M SOLD.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: January 13, 2011, 01:30:34 am »