Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192817 times)

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1095 on: July 17, 2009, 08:50:54 pm »
What about the Dragon's Den that you can go to after you kill Kefka?

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: July 17, 2009, 08:52:42 pm »
I leveled everyone to like level 60 except Strago and Umaro, because they're big dummyheads. Blew through Kefka's Tower pretty easily. Also, God Kefka only has 60K HP, it's like he really wanted to die.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: July 17, 2009, 08:53:08 pm »
What about the Dragon's Den that you can go to after you kill Kefka?

That's only in FFVI Advance, I played the original.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1098 on: July 17, 2009, 11:07:04 pm »
It can sorta depend on how well you use stat bonuses, what Magics you learn, what equip you get, what sidequests you did, etc. I had numerous people with Ultima though, so, yeah...Kefcakewalk.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: July 18, 2009, 02:41:45 am »
I didn't bother to get Ultima. I got the Ragnarok Sword for the sole purpose of getting the Illumina, which I gave to Locke, who with Genji Gloves had a Wing edge (changed to Excalibur before Kefka) and The Offering equipped.

Easily 3 times the damage of Ultima.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: July 18, 2009, 03:15:07 am »
I just sat down and powered threw Sonic Adventurer (Dreamcast) in a little under 5 hours.

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1101 on: July 18, 2009, 03:33:44 am »
I actually have an honest question about Sonic the Hedgehog.

When did Robotnik lose all pretense of cool and change his name to Eggman?

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: July 18, 2009, 04:11:50 am »
I actually have an honest question about Sonic the Hedgehog.

When did Robotnik lose all pretense of cool and change his name to Eggman?

Dreamcast is the first I recall. All I remember from the old cartoon was that Sonic usually only needed one ring, and it was a special occurance to find one, and he loved chili dogs. Total blank on the baddie name.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: July 18, 2009, 04:22:35 am »
In Japan, the character has always been known as Doctor Eggman. However, in early American and European games and media, he is known as Doctor Robotnik. Yuji Naka has explained that "Robotnik" is the character's real name while "Eggman" is a "common name taken after his shape."... Beginning with Sonic Adventure, Sega began referring to him as Eggman in both languages, with the use of the name Robotnik becoming rare.

In Adventure they do the transition quite well, as everyone calls him Eggman except himself as an insult.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1104 on: July 18, 2009, 01:17:06 pm »
I was wondering about this, here we go:

Eggman has been known by different names in various Sonic media depending on region. In Japan, the character has always been known as Doctor Eggman. However, in early American and European games and media, he is known as Doctor Robotnik. Yuji Naka has explained that "Robotnik" is the character's real name while "Eggman" is a "common name taken after his shape."[5] It should also be noted that the original English instruction manual for Sonic the Hedgehog briefly gave the full name Doctor Ivo Robotnik by Sega of America localizers.[6] Despite this, Japanese profiles still list his full name as unknown.[7] Beginning with Sonic Adventure, Sega began referring to him as Eggman in both languages, with the use of the name Robotnik becoming rare.

Today I'm going to be playyyyiiiinnnngggg... let's see... probably Mario Kart Wii (if anyone has it and Wi-Fi gimme your friend code!) and Dissidia. I finally realized how chain HP attacks work in Dissidia, it's really satisfying being able to throw in a cheap hit in mid-air with Zidane. I also love how just managing to hit a CPU character far higher in level than you awards you a fuckton of EXP on the spot. Levelling up Terra 11 levels in the space of about two minutes was really cool.

OH and speaking of Dissidia, here's some cool news:
http://www.qj.net/Dissidia-demo-coming-this-month/pg/49/aid/133136
On 23rd of July (only 5 days away!) a demo of the US version goes up on the PlayStation Store. Also the release date is 25th August.

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1105 on: July 18, 2009, 01:44:39 pm »
When I first heard of Dissidia, I was speechless. A crossover with all of the heroes and main villains of all 12 Final Fantasies? What nerd hasn't had day dreamed in class about that?

Then I read its Wikipedia page and realized that it was a fighting game. That burst my bubble really quickly. If I'd wanted another fighting game that resembled Final Fantasy, I would've gotten Soul Caliber 4.

But then, I saw some Youtube footage of it, and now I'm considering buying a PSP simply to get Dissidia. IT LOOKED SOO AWESOME!

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: July 18, 2009, 02:52:52 pm »
Robotnik already had an insult nickname, Robuttnik.

Saying Eggman makes me feel like one of those eleven year-old "ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL" Sonic fans.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: July 18, 2009, 09:05:12 pm »
Robotnik already had an insult nickname, Robuttnik.

Saying Eggman makes me feel like one of those eleven year-old "ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL" Sonic fans.

Or the breakfast version of a megaman enemy.

anonymouse

• Porrean (+50)
  • Blown along by the wind...
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #1108 on: July 19, 2009, 11:45:04 am »
Dissidia demo? Oh YEAH. Me and my PSP have been waiting for Dissidia ever since news of it broke =D It made me partially forgive Square for letting me down with Crisis Core. So, yanno, it had better not suck.

I'm playing SMT: Nocturne now. Amazing game. A big difference from some button-mashers I wouldn't care to name.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1109 on: July 20, 2009, 12:40:05 am »
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, have I mentioned the new lappy in here yet? Anyways, because of it and my inability to transfer files from the crappy lappy, I've been re-d/ling a few games (now I'm back to no$gba though, which means bye-bye to those ZSNES playthroughs...*sigh*) and getting some new ones...

Sadly, Knights In the Nightmare is kind of fuct emulating (flashing screens @_@), though what I can make out looks really cool (though the learning curve I had heard about does indeed appear quite steep)...

I also tried out Moon for the hell of it, but then got a crash error at some point. It seemed kinda neat, but I just don't see FPSs working well at all on the system.

I AM playing Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (DS! DEVIL SURVIVOR! GET IT? OH THEY ARE CUTE, AREN'T THEY??), which is a fairly enjoyable SRPG. The whole merging demons thing is kind of a hassle, but nothing noteworthy to detract from a cool story (IT'S ABOUT SURVIVING DEMONS, HOW QUAINT)...

Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen - I loved the original 8-Bit version and this version is great as well...It's just too bad that this lappy can barely handle the overworld map (it seriously slows down to like 10%)...

Etrian Odyssey - Slogging through this quasi-dungeon crawler RPG. Really quite enjoyable though rather level-heavy. Not for the faint-of-heart RPG n00b...

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - I'll get through one of these damn FE games one of these days, so it might as well be this quite good remake of the original.

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars - Pretty good entry to the series...But I'm a sucker for the more oldschool style GTA gameplay. I enjoy the touchscreen interface mini-game things so far too, which is surprising. Not as great as its series big brothers, but an entry worthy of playing.

Pokemon: Platinum Version - Probably my 3rd or so try at this particular iteration of the series. I'm back into hating GD Honey trees and such...For some reason I'm using Zubat (never have before much).

Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume - Only just started, but a rather fancy SRPG battle system so far with big, flashy combos.