Author Topic: Editorial 1  (Read 13989 times)

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Editorial 1
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2005, 01:11:05 am »
Sorry, I've been out all week on vacation, and didn't even come here for the whole time.  So here goes with describing my reasons!

Magus-well, it's pretty obvious here.  I haven't played any game in my life that had a character as deep as Magus/Janus.  The whole idea of him "surviving through the darkness" to get revenge Lavos...OMG.  I'm sure everyone agrees with me here.

Frog-I chose Frog as my second choice, because I love his dedication to his friend Cyrus.  I'm amazed at how well Square was able to develop this perfect and eternal friendship between Glenn and Cyrus.  I mean, Frog was willing to risk his life to restore honor to Cyrus and exact his revenge, when he and Crono went to Magus' castle.  You just have to love this guy.  

Robo-discussed in earlier quote

Crono-I know, I know.  I put the main character near the middle of the list.  I want you to know that it was NOT because he doesn't talk.  I'm not that shallow.  I just don't find many places in the game where Crono really stands out.  Sure, he has his moments.  When he agrees to fight Lavos at Arris Dome.  When he tells Melchior that he'll stand up against Zeal.  When he tries to destroy the Mammon Machine, etc. ect. etc.  But the fact is, he's the protagonist of the game!  At least that much is expected of him, if not more!  I know I'm being a little too critical of him, but I find so many of the other characters attractive, that they just blot Crono out.

Lucca- She isn't that different from Crono.  She has even fewer important scenes in the story.  In fact, you don't even need to have her in your party for most of the whole game.  She's just sort of there, kicking ass with Flare.  Yeah, she's good on the battlefield, but not much of the storyline revolves around her.

Marle-discussed in earlier post

Ayla- ditto

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
Editorial 1
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2005, 04:41:59 pm »
Even though the deadline for this has come and gone I still would like to throw my two cents in, because they are so radically different from everyone elses.

Crono
Robo
Ayla
Magus
Glenn
Lucca
Marle

Crono: What draws me to Crono, what makes me like him most above all the others, is his sheer lack of sense when it comes to his own well being. He just meets Marle and yet goes to save her like he has known her for ages. He sees the world being destroyed by a gigantic monster and decides that they will destroy it. He parades through time battling anything that stands in the way of thier goal to destroy Lavos. He sacrifies himself to allow the rest of the team to escape death, completely unaware if he will succeed by doing so. I mean c'mon, how great an example of charater is this guy? Sure he doesnt have the best quotes in the game, and he isn't the most powerful in Magic or fighting. But when it comes down to it, if you asked me which person I would want to be out of all the characters in the game. It's a no brainer, Crono all the way. If I could be half the person he is, I could die a happy man.

Robo: A robot with a heart, sounds like some man of tin is jealous :) . But seriously, Robo brings some of the most perplexing questions to the table. How advanced is this guuy in terms of technology? It seems like he learns how to have feelings throughout the game. Robo has an extremely great understanding of the human emotion for being a robot. I find it very hard to believe that he learned it from studying humans, because he has it down very well. He realizes how Lucca feels when she returns from the gate (Kinda odd that he knew what she did, but thats another story).  He becomes angry when they throw down against Lavos realizing what Lavos did to the human race. It's just so odd that a machine can be able to have these sorts of feelings, and thats why I like him soo much.  Again his quotes are lackluster, but he has such a sentimental feeling for something that he can't even begin to relate to. It's just inspiring.

Ayla: A woman for all intensive purposes ran the world back in 65,000,00 B.C.? Now there's girl power at its finest, take that Destiny's Child! Ayla is the epitomy of doing the right things, even if she doesn't understand what is going on she still does it right. Just blind determination to make sure things are the way they should be. For someone with that low of an intellegnce to be able to grasp the situation without going bonkers and start babbling mindless drivel in the corner speaks wonders for her charater alone. She can grasp some extremely deep things also, like Lavos, or everything that happend in Zeal. What I love the most about her is how she judges a person. She does it completely based on how strong they are, not just physically, but mentally and emotionally too. That is a very powerful message there in itself.

Magus: Oh Mr. Popular, why aren't you so high? Well yes I find it noble of him to be dedicating his life to destroying the thing that took everything away from him (well at least what he thought took everything away from him). But the way he does it just bothers me, I dunno maybe its the whole mystery behind what went down before he killed Cyrus. Were they already at war? Was he protecting himself or not? Its all a little shrewded in mystery. But I do like him, he is an awesome character. In the end he does help the group save Crono, which is probably the only thing he ever did to help someone else almost completely without personal gain. And he puts aside his differences with Glenn to join the team. I don't know, maybe i'm just not cool enough to have Magus as my favorite character.

Glenn: The only thing that really bothers me about Glenn is what he does after the incident at the catherdral. It really rubs me the wrong wy that he gives up at that point, at such an unimportant uneventful part of his life. To have that be the final straw? C'mon Glenn you can do better than that. I do like how he pulls himself together and does fight Magus, if he took any convincing by the group I would have left him behind.  I mean these three tennagers and a god damn robot want to take Magus down because they think he did something he didn't, and Glenn has a real reason to kill him and he took a night to think about it. I don't know, it just shows a weakness of character in my opinion. Sure he is the hero, and he does slay his demons, but without the help of Crono and the rest of them he would have lived his life in regret and remorse.  He could have at least went down in a blaze of glory trying to kill Magus.  Oh well.

Lucca: A cute science whiz? Well I never! The thing with her is that she isn't very original. I mean maybe back in 95' it wasn't as rampant as it is today but it still happened. But I do like her motives behind it, she dedicates her life to trying to right the wrong she couldn't fix when she was younger. Good motives are ones that can not be broken by time. And unless Lucca herself fixed her mothers legs that motive stays there. Her character isn't a bad one, it's just not something that stands out and screams awesomeness. And plus her theme is my least favorite.

Marle: You'd think for someone who's favorite character is Crono, he have Marle not last. Think again buster. Throughout the entire game she has like five minutes of development. And we barely learn anything about her throughout the game. The only person with a more mysterious past is Crono. But she does have her moments, I love her line when they first see the Lavos tape and she says "There is only one thing we can do. We have to change history!" I always get all pumped up when she says that. That is the turining point in the game for me, thats where it goes from great to best. But besides that she really doesnt do much of anything for me, although I do find myself playing with her during and after Crono's death, because her reactions are always the best there. But thats a given.