Author Topic: Is it possible to beat Lavos the 1st time you encounter it in the Ocean Palace?  (Read 11513 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Yeah, Japan does not like Christianity. Any reference to Christianity in anything like FF = doom and evilness.

Um, that's not a problem with Japan...It was more an old problem with Nintendo USA & censorship values at the time, really.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
Censorship, it belongs in certain places. Video games they need to make up their minds about ratings. Like Smash bros 1 to Melee, they had the same themes, nothing more was added to the elements otherthan gameplay and it somehow went from E to T. For awhile i thought because of that me and my friends made jokes how the third would be M.

Chocobo_Fan

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Is there no salvation in all the world?
    • View Profile
@ V: ...Really? I don't think it's a coincidence that the name of an angel, and one that means "Path to God" at that, is the main villain in FF7, and that the main villain (sorta) has a carriage with a halo over it in FF8, plus the whole thing with Yevon in FF10... All of which came after SE split off from Nintendo, I might add. (I do know that for the earlier FFs, there were censorship issues at the time -- Holy to Fade and whatnot) Or I might just be wrong. But I do think it's something to note. Doesn't really matter to me, since I'm not Christan, but... *shrugs*

Eh, yeah, since more often than not you've been right and I've been wrong, even in the short time I've been here, let's just say that you're right. I don't want to get into an argument.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
I just don't understand how what you're referencing equates to Japan not liking Christianity...>_>

Kefka's final form also highly resembled a seraph, having 3 sets of wings...I'm sure there are more religious implications as well. The series (& a lot of non-fiction, really) draws a lot from multiple religions.

Chocobo_Fan

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Is there no salvation in all the world?
    • View Profile
See? I said, you're right. Besides, it isn't really my place to talk about something like this. It was just something I noticed.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
It's moreso the American versions that have more censorship than Japanese versions. A lot of Crono's moves weren't Lightning themed but rather Heaven themed before he decided to adventure to America.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
It's because America is so obsessed with being politically correct and polite.  By removing any potentially "offensive" religious connotations in their games, Square removes any chance of offending anyone.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
I don't see how Crono, the good guy could be translated to heaven = satan.
But from what I've seen, it can be done.