Poll

What do you hope "Arena Mode" turns out to be?

The Jet Bike Race ought to be fun with another human. I call Johnny.
4 (11.8%)
Player versus player battles. Suddenly, going NG+ for Magic Tabs is worth it.
6 (17.6%)
A monster-fighting Colosseum. Why should SE have to come up with something original when they can borrow JP's work?
8 (23.5%)
Creative mini-games based on Chrono stuff, like a temporal scavenger hunt, or Warioware Microgames type stuff featuring Chrono characters.
10 (29.4%)
I want to see...(post it!)
6 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: What do you hope "Arena Mode" turns out to be?  (Read 3677 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: What do you hope "Arena Mode" turns out to be?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 03:31:45 pm »
I bet all my Silver Points that PvP will just be mini game stuff, not battles. Unless it's some kind of competitive Coliseum.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 04:09:50 pm »
A competitive coliseum would be a good idea. The Robot village http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Robot_village.html looks almost like some sort of coliseum that they would battle in. It'd be like the Roman Coliseum and your team would come out of one cage and monsters out the other and see how long you can last.

Or perhaps(just a thought) something like the monster fighter aboard the Zelbess in CC? Get different monsters to do battle for you.

Mixmasta_K

• Porrean (+50)
  • T H I N K
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 10:16:05 pm »
I'm down for some 2 player co-op survival mode. It can progress kinda like how lavos's shell changed attack mode over and over again.  :o

Zipp Dementia

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 03:29:39 am »
I'm a little late to the party, as we now know that there is (at least) a monster arena, but I thought I'd chime in.

For me, one of the most classic and enduring additions to a game was the conglomeration that was FF7's Gold Saucer.  I must've played the motorcycle and snowboarding games for hours!  I know my original save clocked out at 99.99 hours... God knows how long I ACTUALLY played.  And the Colliseum attached to that was pretty genius.  Fun, challenging, with a spin on normal combat... in contrast, I don't find the monster arena of Dragon Quest VIII to be much fun at all.

Now, the Chrono Cross one wasn't too bad.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 04:05:44 pm »
That's funny...I hated Gold Saucer & all of those stupid mini-games but thought the arena in DQVIII was fun. C'mon! You get to fight Torneko & Ragnar! I thought that was pretty neat.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 10:59:22 pm »
I loved the Mog "mini-game" at Gold Saucer.  The game was serene and story-bookish, and I absolutely loved it.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2008, 12:04:16 am »
The Gold Saucer I felt was pretty neat, but I kinda have a personal loathing of it...along with Barret for the fact i was enjoying it until I got stuck because Barret gets me thrown in the stupid prison I can't break from, and it's because barret was trying to reveal some conspiracy with the Saucer so I kinda have a loathing of them both for that.

As for DQVIII, I just didn't get into that game all that much. I dunno, never been a major fan of the series. To me it seems like Final Fantasy gone cartoonish. And I know CT is slightly cartoonish, but only SLIGHTLY. DQ seems like a cross over of FF and Spongebob to me. Although I do like the blobs, and my old computer had some pretty impressive blob sprites before a storm wiped them out(not in a game sense, I mean an electric storm hit a line while I was working on paint and all my work was deleted). I'm thinking Crono was mad for not playing CT yet that day.

Whatever... if this arena mode is anything like the one in CC, I guess it could be decent although I found once you actually get the ForgetMeNotPot and grab a few robots, the robots make that arena waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy. So I figure they just shouldn't do that sort of thing. Up the difficulty some, and include some more rounds.