Author Topic: Magic Article Begins  (Read 24218 times)

CatchRBFivy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~catchRBFivy
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2005, 11:33:21 pm »
I'm with dewey on this one.  I think its just to make the game more exciting.  I dont believe that spells of such magnitude like luminaire, antipode 3, forever zero, etc. etc...are able to be that acurate.

I'll use Lavos' eruption as an example.  He launches his spikes (the name of the attack is on the top of my toung right now, rain from the heavens or something like that i think) to destroy the world yet some of them hit lavos' shell.  An attack that strong would severly weaken him if you ask me.  This also happens in the battle when he uses the spike attack.

And lets look at FFVI.  Plenty of attack cannot be controled.  Even by Terra who was born in the world where magic was created and is half an esper (I'm referring to attacks liek Metron, W Wind, and Quake.)  It's just exaggeration for good battle systems.  I don't really understand how it isn't something like that.

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2005, 02:29:07 am »
I just think that something like Ultanova or Safer-Sephiroth's SuperNova, or Forever Zero are not really happaning, but are to represnt the amount of energy that hits you\the enemy.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2005, 07:14:30 am »
It could also be that the things that you see are simply part of the Magic spell, it's just an illusion that the world is destroyed or w/e, but the results unto the enemy are real.

Also, I don't think Lavos' eruption wouldn't matter. Even if his Destruction Rains From the Heavens were to touch down on his shell...For one, we know that Lavos survives his impact onto the planet in the first place, which would be expressed in tons and tons of energy right there. Secondly, based solely on Lavos' Spawn, we know that their Shells are nigh-indestructable, wouldn't it then be plausible to say that Lavos, being fully grown and fully powered, wouldn't bat an eye at his laser attacks that hit his shell? I mean, heck, Crono & Co. don't even bother trying to target the shell, yeah? I think there's your reason...

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2005, 01:19:03 pm »
I actually agree about the Rain of Destruction spell... I'm sure Lavos is getting hit by it, but his shell is able to withold the damage.. just my personal opinion.  But my overall statement about spells being exagerrated for fx purposes and giving flavor to the battle system remains the same.

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2005, 05:31:40 pm »
Thinking back to this topic, I realize why you can't take anything you see in the battle system that seriously:

It's "turn" based.  You're not going to have Crono cast a spell, then wait for an enemy to attack him before he casts again.

Zenning

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2005, 12:27:19 pm »
Quote from: CatchRBFivy
I'm with dewey on this one.  I think its just to make the game more exciting.  I dont believe that spells of such magnitude like luminaire, antipode 3, forever zero, etc. etc...are able to be that acurate.

I don't so much agree with Dewey as I already believe the same as Dewey.

I just tried explaining something to Sentenal regarding something that only happens in-game, but not particularly part of the plot, and thus doesn't make it canon; the instance probably only arose out of the fact that the programmers could only fit such a limited amount of code into the game.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Article Begins
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2007, 03:11:33 pm »
Anyone have any ideas as to how it even exists? My guess is the in the "chronoverse" free-energy is abundant, and magic is just the manipulation of it.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2007, 03:53:43 pm »
Such a phenomenon would probably prevent life as we know it from existing, yet it exists.

No...it's drawn from within. Perhaps occasionally they can tap sources of energy, but only sources that would be thusly drained. For example, Marle could draw energy from a blizzard and while doing so it would be reduced to a light snowfall.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2007, 04:16:03 pm »
I could see how that would work with Chrono's, Lucca's, and Magus' magic the would redirect the energy from one location to another. But Frog and Marle requires the transportation of objects in there case water, and the amounts used in their spells would require something to transport it. A slip gate would could explain as to why it just appears.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2007, 04:35:30 pm »
Well, it's possible they could be using energy from within to manipulate water vapor without?

This presumes of course that they need to manipulate their environment at all, which they might not. They could be transforming their energy into whatever they need. After all, matter and energy are the same thing, so if you had a process that could do it, it shouldn't be that hard.

But then it also requires a lot of energy...I think...

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2007, 07:34:57 pm »
If all of the universe is made up of the fundamentals of magic, like Spekkio states, couldn't they just draw said magic from anything anywhere at any time?

I don't think they draw anything from an external force though, especially since we're not told this nor do we see it occur. Their magic comes from their concentration of their own internal energies, which when calculated and given to the player, is translated in the form of MP, or Magic Points/Power.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 07:37:30 pm by V_Translanka »

alpha

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2007, 10:45:06 am »
The entire universe made up of the fundementals.. Standard magic drawn from teh body's stores((mp)) the bigger the spell the more the cost, except in the case of the studs which I believe take a small amount of mp and focus it more strongly than the body can naturally.

Now that is just standard spells. your big spells... summonings.. dead raising ((all sorts of magus mischeif)) would require a ceremony which indicates an outisde draw of power. with no circle((see small undead making ceremonies)) making undead is a perversion of the magic and the enviroment((the undead making not hte lack of circle)) ((theoretical real world effect inserted here)) making hte summoning location corrupted and infertile...
Most situations with a circle are meant to draw from the area and ley lines in balance so the right amount is drawn without causing undue harm to the surrounding area

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2007, 10:45:46 pm »
I think that might depend on your idea of Summoning. There are at least two types of Summoning in the Chrono world: Elemental Summoning and what could be thought of as Tech Summoning. Another might be debated depending on how you believe Dalton summoned the various Golems. We know that anyone who first fills the Elemental Field of their surrounding area with the same Element as the Elemental Summon they wish to use can then summon the same Elemental Summon of that Element. We also know that it's possible to summon spirits & the dead. Magus shows this in the first battle against him with his (Water elemental) Tech Geyser (these at least appear to be ghosts) and Steena is able to summon Direa, a Hydra, and even Garai in her various Techs. Also, the dead seemingly arise at Ozzie's command on Zenan Bridge.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 10:47:34 pm by V_Translanka »

alpha

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2007, 08:57:24 pm »
very true.. but I also think that the mystics variety of magic is innately different.. For instance in a game Ive been running(( lost an admin so everything has at the moment ground to a halt)) I disallowed mystics at first because they have no limiter keeping them from accesing innate magic from the start like most of the humans((outside of el nido)) do. however it would also seem that at least 75% of mystics((not to be confused with the el nido demihumans)) use shadow. and the elemental summons are dragon magic so also vewry differnt from the innate magic of chrono and crew.. although frog...... summoned that frog.... but that may very well have been a creation rather than a summon...

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2007, 09:58:40 pm »
I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying outside of you think the Mystic's abilities are different from Crono & Co's...and I still don't understand your reasoning...and dragon magic???