Author Topic: Magic Article Begins  (Read 24159 times)

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2005, 11:32:17 am »
At this point, one would invoke the Aeris rule.  However, I posit and always have that no such rule exists.  In fact, it doesn't even apply to Aeris herself; at the time she was killed, none of the AVALANCHE crew was anywhere near Sephiroth's power level.  He would have done the same thing to any one of them, except maybe Cloud.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2005, 11:53:35 am »
Cloud was always stronger than Sephiroth.

Luminaire

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2005, 12:10:46 pm »
dont forget all the levels you learn them at.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2005, 09:27:33 pm »
I think Items mostly only apply in battle...Or...at least Pheonix Downs? If you get killed out of battle, perhaps you're just outta luck.

kazmaka

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2005, 05:25:24 am »
Quote from: Luminaire
dont forget all the levels you learn them at.

?? you learn the spells depending on how many skill points you have, or are you talking about CC and innate elements decided by your star levels.

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2005, 04:55:18 pm »
Quote from: Legend of the Past
Quote from: DeweyisOverrated
The answer is, the battle system is separate from the actual events of the story.  Understand?

Ah, so the battles against Lavos are seperate from the story?

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, or just don't understand.  

Thank you Hadriel for saying the Aeris rule, I couldn't think of what it was called.

No, the battles actually happen, but what happens INSIDE of them doesn't neccessarily.  Basically, the battle system is the only thing that really makes RPG's a "game" rather than "an interactive story".  Now, any of us know Cloud's sword would EASILY cut through, say, an enemy flower.  But, this obviously wouldn't make a great battle system.  So, the game creators essentially exagerrate the played out battles in order to put gameplay experience into it.

Another example.  Let's look at Antipode 3, a personal favorite of mine.  Now, could Marle and Lucca use Ice and Fire magic, respectivly?  Yes.  Could they time it so they hit an enemy with it at the same time?  With practice, yes.  Could they summon up a huge amount of fire and ice?   Yes.  Could they use their powers so effectively that the entire 1 mile radius around them blows up, enshrouding their enemies with fire and ice, and hurt only their enemies, and not themselves or anyone else?  Seems a little farfetched to me...  seems like just something used for gameplay and visual fx more than anything.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2005, 12:54:32 am »
w/Magic, nothing is farfetched :wink:

kazmaka

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2005, 06:15:11 am »
and dewey if your going to quote how some spells are absolutely crazy you should look more at CC, blackhole, forever zero, and if youve ever played golden sun for GBA, their are numerous summons that involve obliterating the world, but what you forget is the real power of the magic and the people who wield it, they clearly have the ability to control the magics how they wish, which is how they only harm the enemys, the wielders are immensely skilled. as for how blackhole and forever zero manage to just do damage to enemies, i would say all life has a resistance to magic, so being turned into nothing by magic would actaully just ... hurt... because of their defense against it. :roll: hehe yeah right.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2005, 06:24:08 am »
1. Elements are not magic.
2. Those are only visual effects to show where they might come from.

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2005, 10:55:56 am »
Quote from: kazmaka
and dewey if your going to quote how some spells are absolutely crazy you should look more at CC, blackhole, forever zero, and if youve ever played golden sun for GBA, their are numerous summons that involve obliterating the world, but what you forget is the real power of the magic and the people who wield it, they clearly have the ability to control the magics how they wish, which is how they only harm the enemys, the wielders are immensely skilled. as for how blackhole and forever zero manage to just do damage to enemies, i would say all life has a resistance to magic, so being turned into nothing by magic would actaully just ... hurt... because of their defense against it. :roll: hehe yeah right.

I did, in fact I talked about the Grim Repear summon as my first example.  You're absolutely right, no one can survive a black hole, and that's basically my whole point.

and secondly,

2. Those are only visual effects to show where they might come from.

Pretty much exactly what I'm talking about.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2005, 11:10:49 am »
That just seems like so much oversimplification..."Oh, it's just part of the game system, it has no real meaning"...It seems, I dunno, somewhat against what the Compendium is about...But w/e...

kazmaka

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2005, 11:51:44 am »
Quote from: V_Translanka
That just seems like so much oversimplification..."Oh, it's just part of the game system, it has no real meaning"...It seems, I dunno, somewhat against what the Compendium is about...But w/e...

ill agree with you there. you guys are just looking at this and seeing the only logical explanation, look outside the box  :wink: .

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2005, 01:00:17 pm »
I agree that's what the Compendium is about, but after a point, it can get ridiculous.

Let's think sports here.  I am a HUGE baseball fan.  But sports show can get WAY too overanalytical from time to time.  Take Dontrell Willis.  The big thing about him is that, while he has had a spectacular first half, everyone was weary on saying he would win the Cy Young because stastistically, he always seems to have a bad second-half of the season.   Ok, that's understandable.  But then people start getting way too into stats so much, that it takes away from it and starts making no sense.  For example, an actual stat I heard the other night:

"David Wright has the highest batting average in the National league, this year, with bases loaded, 2 outs, so long as he is playing at home, and batting in either the 5th or 6th slot."  (And they also might have added "among 3rd basemen, nto sure though)

Wow, see, too in-depth, and that's looking at too much stuff, and in the end, doesn't really mean ANYTHING.  I mean, its only a matter of time before someone brings up the fact that "x enemy is a better fire-user than Lucca because her fire spell only shoots out 6 balls fo fire as opposed to some enemy who has 7 balls of fire, but Lucca's does more damage so the fire is more powerful, but that's only because she has a higher level and you shouldn't be at that level at that point in the game, but yeah but she also has weaker armor on so it makes up for it, but you also used shield...."   etc, etc.

kazmaka

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2005, 04:48:12 pm »
thats all a fair point, but i forget, wasnt the point of the article their suposed to be writing to be about the magic of the chrono series, theres not much more magical than the magic they use is there? corect me if im wrong.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2005, 05:09:23 am »
Whereas you're talking about something a little closer to being unreasonable (sorry if i missed anything, but after you said "baseball" i just sorta zonked out...baseball=most boring sport ot watch...including golf), the only thing that was being discussed previously was that the magic users could control the targets with which their magic attacks effected, even though their surroundings changed in impossible (MAGICAL!!!) ways, which isn't unreasonable at all. Especially since we KNOW they can and do have to target which enemy or teammate must be targeted before they use a spell.