Author Topic: Magic Article Begins  (Read 26893 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Magic Article Begins
« on: January 25, 2005, 10:41:29 pm »
I've stickied all topics relating to magic and able to be included in an article about the elements and such. Before we actually construct the article, we need to finish Empiric's work on Magic and Characters, in which an in-depth analysis of every spell was proposed. We shall do this, as well as an analysis of monster spells. Actually I just moved them all to a separate forum for easier editing.

These threads lead somewhat to disorganization, however. Would anyone like to post a plausible outline for the article?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 05:36:36 pm »
Perhaps there should be a seperation of Characters by Magic and/or Element types, rather than "simple" Character seperation which would be absolute chaos to regulate. And maybe even seperate those by which Tech, in CC it would be by 3, 5, or 7 and in CT it would be 1-however many there were...8? 9?

This one sounds like it's going to be big no matter what though...jeezum...

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 07:37:38 pm »
Great idea giving this its own forum. Maybe now, I'll actually read all the threads. Then again, maybe not, but it's still a good idea.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 03:13:49 pm »
A. Definition of Magic
B. History of Magic (Who taught in Zeal)
C. Spekkio Discourse
D. Definition/History of Elements
E. Character Abilities
F. The Magic Study (Magic and Characters in CT/CC)

How does that sound?

Faulce

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 05:08:38 pm »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
A. Definition of Magic
B. History of Magic (Who taught in Zeal)
C. Spekkio Discourse
D. Definition/History of Elements
E. Character Abilities
F. The Magic Study (Magic and Characters in CT/CC)

How does that sound?

Pretty good, I would just like to make a few additions to see what we are specifically looking for. this isnt how i "think it should be done" Think of it as a question. For example: Spekkio Discourse, well i dont think trying to define exactly who he is is really important to the magic article, so i wouldnt think that would be in there. hopefully somebody understands what i mean:

A. Definition of Magic
   1. What it is. (ex: 4 element manipulation etc)
   2. How it is acquired/used (ex: Lavos, teachers: gurus, spekkio etc])
B. History of Magic
   1. Zeal
   2. Mystics
   3. Time Travelers
C. Spekkio Discourse (speaks for itself)
D. Defintion of Elements
   1. What they are. (ex: crystals, represent 'sounds' etc)
   2. How they are acquired/used (ex: Hotspots on earth, easily traded)
E. History of Elements (fuzzy on this one...)
   1. Dragonians
   2. Chronopolis
   3. El Nido

The last two (character abilities and magic study) seem sort of similiar. So i dont know what to do with those exactly.

I dont know if this was really beneficial to the article, im just trying to help by trying to find a better understanding.
:)

EDIT: just and additional thought: my whole angle here is to help us define exactly what we are looking for so we can ask those specific questions immediately and debate/discuss the answers. You said it yourself, ZeaLitY: These threads lead to disorganization.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 05:38:00 pm »
That's fine; Character Abilities = GrayLensman's Elemental Model, while the Magic Study would be a kind of appendix like the Name Origins section of RWI: a large listing of spells and analysis.

Criosphinx

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 12:40:29 am »
I WANNA HELP TOO...I GOT ALL EXCITED NOW.... I KNOW LOTS OF MAGIC STUFF...I HOPE BEING USEFULL !!!
A.1.2.B.1.D.1...all seem to have a conection .... and you can't forgot bout dinopolis.... even tough it is a hard thing to discuss.... it got something to do with the dragonians ...i will take a look in my compendium later....
i'm talking too much.... i think that is all for now  :lol:

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 01:10:44 pm »
Crap, I completely forgot about the monster tech list. I knew there was something here I was supposed to be doing.

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 08:38:54 pm »
I think you should be careful with something before you divulge into this article; that is, be careful.  I have a feeling many people are going to be confused or incorrectly assume certain things in the differences between the battles in the game (battle system), and the actual events.  

Which might be a reason to not go into detail "in which an in-depth analysis of every spell was proposed".  IMO, that's screwing with something in the battle system, and not neccessarily in the story.

EDIT: if there isnt an articale already up, basically ignore this post.  I didn't realize the original post was made almost two years ago.  Wow

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 02:48:06 am »
Uh, could you give an example of wtf you're talking about DeweyisOverrated? Because you, like, totally just confused me. :?

kazmaka

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 04:09:13 am »
is he saying, this idea is stupid? or youre taking it way too far?
either way... what are ya talking about? its necessary to look at every single tech (well mainly the magical ones i guess) to give an idea of the magics going into them, if u get me?

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 10:13:17 am »
Quote from: V_Translanka
Uh, could you give an example of wtf you're talking about DeweyisOverrated? Because you, like, totally just confused me. :?

Surely.

Basically its the theory that things that happen in the battle system, don't neccessarily happen in the game, and that they are two separate entities.

For example, the question everyone seems to asks is "How come Crono can get to lvl 99 and do Luminaire for 9999 damage and have all of his dmg reduced to 1 or even 0, and then be knocked out by a puny guard before the throw him in jail?"  The answer is, the battle system is separate from the actual events of the story.  Understand?

So basically what I'm saying is, they would ahve to be careful.  The fact that in CC people can USE magic is actually part of the story, and therefore useful to the article.  The fact that Grobyc can summon a huge freaking Grim Reaper that tears up the the entire ground is NOT part fo the story.  It's part fo the battle system, and obviously ridiculous to include in the article.

kazmaka

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 10:22:29 am »
but the article is ABOUT the magic is it not? so its highly important to include the magic techs in the article that is about them is it not?  :roll:

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 11:02:50 am »
Quote from: DeweyisOverrated
The answer is, the battle system is separate from the actual events of the story.  Understand?

Ah, so the battles against Lavos are seperate from the story?

kazmaka

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Magic Article Begins
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 11:17:36 am »
why yes, in the story the crew go to lavos, and it mystically dies, then we carry on and the world is saved, the whole idea the crew use magical spells to destroy lavos is propostrurus and could never of worked for it is impossible for these spells to ever of existed, the crew didnt use awesome inteligence and skill to only affect the area they intended with their magicness, o no.