Author Topic: CG Frog - Finished Piece  (Read 1657 times)

Straafe

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
CG Frog - Finished Piece
« on: August 11, 2008, 06:36:12 pm »
A lot of work went into this one. The only 2d element in the scene is the sky,  everything else is 3d. I am thoroughly surprised my computer did not blow up with that much geometry in my scene, although during the creation process of this image I did crash frequently.

The environment is loosely based on the environment frog is seen in during the masamune cutscene in the PS1 version of chrono trigger. (See cutscene here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ugnp7d6Whs)
I Re-did the pose based off of the quick one i had done before. I think this pose is an improvement and looks more dynamic (the feet placement, etc). He has new eyes that are actually frog eyes, and many material adjustments (IE sword).

I rendered out around 10 different passes from 3ds max and comped them together in photoshop (with other adjustments) to create this final image. In fact, I have stared at it so much my eyes are about to bleed, so if I missed something or something looks off to you please let me know so I can fix it. There are a few minor things i can spot, but nothing too bad. As with all the CT images I have been doing, I have learned a lot. I think in doing this one I learned the most compared to any of the others. 

ANYWAY, I hope you guys like it!
Note: This image is best viewed when listening to Frog's Theme :p
>>FULL RES<<

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 10:22:44 pm by Straafe »

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
Re: CG Frog - Finished Piece
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 07:19:57 pm »
 :lee:YES :lee:

Although the border of trees and sky looks a bit apparent is the word I think.

Straafe

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 07:24:37 pm »
(Image Updated)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 08:00:42 pm by Straafe »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 07:53:48 pm »
I think it looks perfect.  I mean, awesome.  Totally awesome.  You won't hear any critiquing from me.

(not that there's anything wrong with critiquing, I just have nothing to say beyond "AWESOME!")

Shiku

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 07:59:24 pm »
*KA-BOOOOOOM!!* did you hear that? That is the sound of my mind being blown! All over the wall, mind-bits are splattered everywhere.

Saelind

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 08:02:57 pm »
It is THE best representation of Kaeru that I've ever seen on my lifetime, awesome indeed. He's my favorite character btw  8)

P.S.: Are you going to do the same with the other 6 playable characters in CT?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 08:05:56 pm by Saelind »

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 08:30:32 pm »
It is THE best representation of Kaeru that I've ever seen on my lifetime, awesome indeed. He's my favorite character btw  8)

P.S.: Are you going to do the same with the other 6 playable characters in CT?
Robo and Magus. He is just getting better each time.

Yourgingerestfan

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 04:00:28 am »
wow its very good ! and detailed i really like it congratz for all your hard work ! :P :)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 04:14:11 am »
Very good stuff...I'm not too keen on his expression; facial (maybe it's hard to get any proper expression out of a 3D frog face?) or body (seems like an awkward stance)...and his placement in the scene seems off since he's basically floating above the grass, not actually standing within the grass...maybe it'd look better if he was standing on a stone- or dirt-based topography? Unless you can mat down some of the grass to look like he's standing there naturally, I guess (seems like it'd be easier to do it the other way, though)? And the sword still doesn't seem especially metallic...*shrugs*

Still, all-in-all, very awesome stuff. Keep at it, dude.

EDIT: The Magus seems pretty cool (did I miss the thread for that or is it just old enough for me to forget?)...but it's missing the metal band on his leg & the mid-section is off. I remember teh Robo thread though...I think I might have mentioned then that Robo looks weird with his crotch area all exposed like that...>_>
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 04:21:26 am by V_Translanka »

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 04:42:18 am »
Very good stuff...I'm not too keen on his expression; facial (maybe it's hard to get any proper expression out of a 3D frog face?) or body (seems like an awkward stance)...and his placement in the scene seems off since he's basically floating above the grass, not actually standing within the grass...maybe it'd look better if he was standing on a stone- or dirt-based topography? Unless you can mat down some of the grass to look like he's standing there naturally, I guess (seems like it'd be easier to do it the other way, though)? And the sword still doesn't seem especially metallic...*shrugs*

He's jumping...

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 05:26:07 am »
Looks great! You should be proud of that work! I hope you're keeping the model and textures around.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 11:37:00 am »
He's jumping...

Looks more like a skip than a jump...and even then, it seems like he'd still have more interaction than shown...

Straafe

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 03:00:53 pm »
He was supposed to be mid leap, but if you didnt catch that than it was my fault in not making the pose expressive enough. The sword is reflecting the environment and is physically accurate for that type of metal, although stylistically it may not be metallic enough for some. Thanks for the tips and comments guys.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 08:57:26 pm »
Easily some of the best 3D artwork of Frog I've seen.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 08:59:04 pm »
Just throwing it out there but I wouldn't mind seeing Alya next :D