Author Topic: ZSNES and Snes9X  (Read 989 times)

Shiku

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
ZSNES and Snes9X
« on: August 11, 2008, 12:52:20 am »
I was wondering, but does anyone else HATE ZSNES as much as I do? I find that Snes9X is much easier to use, but how come so many Hacked Roms don't work with it? I mean stuff like Prophet's Guile and so forth.

Kilfer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Myndflame.com (or) myspace.com/sterence
    • View Profile
    • My teams movie site. Myndflame movies are ours
Re: ZSNES and Snes9X
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 02:56:21 am »
Yeah I couldn't get Prophet's Guile to work . . .

though I haven't really tried all that hard . . . I had more methods up mah sleeve . . .

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 04:04:47 am »
I've only had problems with Snes9x in the past, so I switched to ZSNES and never had a problem...but really there shouldn't be much difference at all if you have them both updated. I don't see what's easier to use about one over the other...So, really, I'd probably just judge it on what works on what, which, based on your own description means ZSNES is still my emu of choice.

Shiku

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 02:42:39 pm »
Yeah I guess it's probably just cause Snes9x is what i've used for year so I'm just not used to Zsnes

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 03:18:54 pm »
I like ZSNES much more, except the only game I've played that doesn't work well, that works a bit better on SNES9x, is Star Ocean.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 01:13:28 am »
I was wondering, but does anyone else HATE ZSNES as much as I do? I find that Snes9X is much easier to use, but how come so many Hacked Roms don't work with it? I mean stuff like Prophet's Guile and so forth.
I personally have never had many real complaints about ZSNES and actually easier to use the SNES9x(suppose it's personal preference. As for why some hacked games do not work─ZSNES is much more forgiving and flexible when it comes to custom game code(i.e. fan hacks); though from what I've heard ZSNES 2.0 is going to have a more accurate emulation core and, therefore, is going to be less forgiving when it comes to rom hacks.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 03:43:43 am »
I never had problems with Star Ocean on ZSNES...all I had to do was get the mode7 patch (I think that's right or it might have had something to do with sound...?) for ZSNES (and this was back in the day, so I figure that's been sorted out w/newer versions)...

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 10:35:48 am »
I never had problems with Star Ocean on ZSNES...all I had to do was get the mode7 patch (I think that's right or it might have had something to do with sound...?) for ZSNES (and this was back in the day, so I figure that's been sorted out w/newer versions)...
Ah, I think you're talking about the graphics pack for SO; it's obsolete as they implemented the graphics decompression algorithm for the special chip in the SO cartridge(I forget what the chip was called, though...) a few years back.

syntax error

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 11:55:02 am »
If you have the (CPU) power and you aren't using a laptop, then try BSNES.
This emulator is very accurate but is lacking some special chip support.
I got Snes9x working in NT 4.0 with the DX5 update,but I used ZSnes more,
and I like the cheat system of ZSNES.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 12:24:02 pm »
If you have the (CPU) power and you aren't using a laptop, then try BSNES.
This emulator is very accurate but is lacking some special chip support.
I got Snes9x working in NT 4.0 with the DX5 update,but I used ZSnes more,
and I like the cheat system of ZSNES.
As soon as ZSNES 2.0 comes out; it will have the accuracy of BSNES + all the features of ZSNES(savestates, speedup/slowdown, graphics filters, et al.) + less requisite of CPU. Also... BSNES does not play well with 'special' games(though it does play Der Langrisser well) or some romhacks─so I guess it's your call.