Author Topic: An Elemental Model for Character Abilities  (Read 21463 times)

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
An Elemental Model for Character Abilities
« on: January 24, 2005, 01:03:41 am »

The members of the Chrono Compendium have developed a rigorous model describing the function of magic and elemental energy in the Chrono Series.  The universe is controlled by the four elements, which act on a deeper level than the observable laws of nature.  The power of the elements may be harnessed using magic or technology to produce indistinguishable elemental effects.  The Elemental system of Chrono Cross is based off the four elements and produces non-elemental effects classified based on their physical properties.

However, some phenomena in the Chrono Series cannot be explained using this model.
  • Lavos' apparent power is not consistent with the travelers' abilities.  Lavos can withstand an impact with the surface of the earth with the same energy as 100 teratons of TNT, yet Crono's Luminaire damages it.
  • Characters have physical abilities which appear to violate natural laws.  “Normal” humans achieve supernatural strength and speed.
  • Characters without magical abilities can produce elemental effects and have inherent defense against elemental attack.  Ayla's Tail Spin attack produces non-elemental magical damage.
  • [/list:u]
    I hypothesize that all supernatural abilities are based on elemental energy.  Crono can become strong enough to fight Lavos as an equal in power because the makeup of the elemental energy in his body allows him to do so.  In response to the stresses of his journeys, Crono's elemental energy adjusted to give him physical traits beyond the capabilities of his biological systems.

Physical energy (heat and light) is not the same as elemental energy.  Physical effects only occur as a result of the interaction of the elements.  Since the physical traits of powerful entities are predominantly determined by their elemental makeup, physical energy will not have a great effect.  The impact of Lavos, though tremendous, did not necessarily have significant elemental energy.  The type of energy which is released is more important than the quantity.  A hydrogen bomb wouldn't hurt Lavos because negligible elemental energy is released, but Lucca's mega-bombs are based on elemental energy and have the potency to harm Lavos.

All supernatural physical or magical techniques are based on elemental energy.  When Crono attacks Lavos with his sword, the force of the blow is defined by Crono's own elemental energy and elemental energy of his sword (forged by Melchior using magical means).  Crono's attack is directed at Lavos' elemental energy in such a way as to cause damage.  Any physical reaction is only a side effect.

The nature of a technique is determined by the form of the released elemental energy.  The elemental effects of magic are based on a single element.  Physical and non-elemental effects are based on a combination of all elements and are differentiated by how the elemental energy is directed.

Crono's Luminaire can damage Lavos because his attack is comprised of elemental energy and is directed at Lavos' elemental energy. The physical results (heat and light) are only insignificant byproducts. The other travelers can stand in the blast radius unharmed.  Ayla can perform her Tail Spin attack because the elemental energy composing her body produces a non-elemental effect.  Physical and Magical defense are two aspects of the same property, which is an innate resistance of all entities with significant elemental energy to elemental effects.

Physical death is meaningless. If Crono's physical body is damaged to the point that his biological systems fail, Marle can restore him while his elemental energy remains.  Healing is simply the reinforcement of an entity's elemental energy.

Supernatural phenomena may also be elemental in nature. Magus can transcend death (with his necromancy) by magical means.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 08:23:03 pm »
Interesting stuff...I'll add my two cents I suppose...

For one, I agree with Ayla's Tail Spin being non-elemental Magic. In another thread there are some people bumping around the idea that it's Wind-based and that that somehow makes it Lightning Elemental because they think Crono's Slash is a wind-based attack. I don't think any of that's true because Spekkio would have said, like he said with Robo, that her attack could be considered Lightning Elemental, which it's not, which you can tell by using it against certain Lighting absorbing monsters.

Also, I think that Lavos's impact with the earth doesn't have to be that way. It could be, like with many newly born species, that Lavos simply has some kind of protective shell or barrier that protects it from the impact at that stage of it's development. Or, possibly, the "head" of the Lavos Shell is simply not there. It seems like, during the battle, the only thing that's really damages is the "head", and not the shell itself, perhaps this is because the shell is imperveous to attack.

I think that Magic and Innate Magical ability could effect someone's strength and speed in different ways. For instance, Lightning is obviously an energy-based Magic, the same is true with Fire, so you would think those inclined to those Magics would thusly be able to tap into that energy to become faster. This speed could also effect strength and muscle mass production.

Another way to look at it is, perhaps everyone on Chrono world has such strength and speed potential. The characters in Chrono Cross equally gain strength and speed. Cyrus seems both strong and quick (Nirvana Strike as an example of speed).

I don't see the difference between any regular bomb and a bomb that Lucca uses in her Techs. Unless you're theorizing that she creates them Magically rather than physically...I had always believed the latter myself, but I suppose anything's possible.

I also am not quite sure about the part where you say "Physical and non-elemental effects are based on a combination of all elements and are...etc", because, if they were a combination of all the elements, wouldn't that create a Shadow-type effect? I believed that since these effects were not created by either Fire, Water, or Lightning, that they were simply automatically non-elemental. They were just like the others, a wind attack, while still magical in nature, is just not Elemental.

Perhaps non-elemental attacks are more created by the force of the individual. Maybe that's how the people in that thread meant by comparing Tail Spin to Slash. Both Techs use the character's inner magic to create the magical effect. Although Slash becomes Lightning Elemental (or wait, is it Lightning Elemental?) because of Crono's Magical Innateness and Tail Spin does not, both are still inner, chi-like magical attacks.

Now what's up with Crono's Confuse attack not giving the Confuse status ailment? That one always...confused...me...:lol:

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 09:15:41 pm »
Quote from: GrayLensman
The Elemental system of Chrono Cross is based off the four elements and produces non-elemental effects classified based on their physical properties.

So, wait, the elements are non-elemental?

GrayLensman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 10:28:47 pm »
Thank you for the reply, V Trans.  I took me a week to write out this theory after discussing it with Zeality and I expect it will require further refinement.

Quote from: V_Translanka
For one, I agree with Ayla's Tail Spin being non-elemental Magic. In another thread there are some people bumping around the idea that it's Wind-based and that that somehow makes it Lightning Elemental because they think Crono's Slash is a wind-based attack. I don't think any of that's true because Spekkio would have said, like he said with Robo, that her attack could be considered Lightning Elemental, which it's not, which you can tell by using it against certain Lighting absorbing monsters.

Tail Spin and Poyozo Dance cause non-elemental magical damage.  Slash does cause lightning elemental damage.

Also, I think that Lavos' impact with the earth doesn't have to be that way. It could be, like with many newly born species, that Lavos simply has some kind of protective shell or barrier that protects it from the impact at that stage of it's development. Or, possibly, the "head" of the Lavos Shell is simply not there. It seems like, during the battle, the only thing that's really damages is the "head", and not the shell itself, perhaps this is because the shell is impervious to attack.

My estimate for the energy of Lavos' impact is based on the Chicxulub impact which exterminated the dinosaurs.  Any impact which would cause this type of global climate change which lasts for millions of years would have to have a similar magnitude.  No physical substance could withstand a 100 teraton explosion.  “Over 200 thousand cubic kilometers of the Earth's crust was instantly vaporized, melted or ejected from the crater.”  (http://www.agu.org/sci_soc/sharpton.html).  This is what I mean by supernatural--if Lavos' shell protected it from the impact, its properties cannot be explained by natural laws.

I think that Magic and Innate Magical ability could effect someone's strength and speed in different ways. For instance, Lightning is obviously an energy-based Magic, the same is true with Fire, so you would think those inclined to those Magics would thusly be able to tap into that energy to become faster. This speed could also effect strength and muscle mass production.

Another way to look at it is, perhaps everyone on Chrono world has such strength and speed potential. The characters in Chrono Cross equally gain strength and speed. Cyrus seems both strong and quick (Nirvana Strike as an example of speed).

For this reason I was very careful about the language I used:  supernatural and not superhuman.  Crono is capable of moves that not only exceed normal human capability, but arguably violate the laws of physics.  I am indeed theorizing that all beings can achieve these abilities, but also that the mechanism is based on elemental interactions which “break” the laws of physics.

I don't see the difference between any regular bomb and a bomb that Lucca uses in her Techs. Unless you're theorizing that she creates them Magically rather than physically...I had always believed the latter myself, but I suppose anything's possible.

What makes the Rainbow more powerful than a regular steel sword?  It may be harder and sharper, but even then its physical properties are supernatural.  It appears that Crono can run one enemy through with a steel sword and then run another enemy through with the Rainbow and do more damage.  If penetration is not an issue, the mechanical properties of the sword will not significantly affect the damage.  The Rainbow's power lies in its elemental properties, and how it reacts with the elemental energy of the target.

Lucca's Mega Bomb does more damage to Lavos than a 100 teraton blast.  The power of Lucca's bombs cannot be explained through its physical properties alone.  That is why I stated it is based on elemental energy.  Lucca is not necessarily constructing the bombs using magic, but they have distinct elemental properties.

I also am not quite sure about the part where you say "Physical and non-elemental effects are based on a combination of all elements and are...etc", because, if they were a combination of all the elements, wouldn't that create a Shadow-type effect? I believed that since these effects were not created by either Fire, Water, or Lightning, that they were simply automatically non-elemental. They were just like the others, a wind attack, while still magical in nature, is just not Elemental.

Everything in the universe of the Chrono Series is based on the four elemental powers.  A sword is fundamentally a combination of the four elements.  Magic utilizes pure elemental energy.  The combination of pure Lightning, Fire, or Water will produce Shadow elemental effects.  Non-elemental or everyday physical phenomena are composed of a inseparable mixture of elemental power.  I am essentially stating that magic produces pure elemental effects and non-elemental techniques include magical (indirect) and physical (direct) effects.

Perhaps non-elemental attacks are more created by the force of the individual. Maybe that's how the people in that thread meant by comparing Tail Spin to Slash. Both Techs use the character's inner magic to create the magical effect. Although Slash becomes Lightning Elemental (or wait, is it Lightning Elemental?) because of Crono's Magical Innateness and Tail Spin does not, both are still inner, chi-like magical attacks.

Ayla can produce a non-elemental effect because her body has increased elemental properties.  A wind generated through ordinary means would not have any elemental effect.  The tech causes a non-elemental magical affect because of the way the energy is directed at the target.

Crono's Slash attack causes a lightning elemental effect because his body has increased elemental properties and he has an innate element, which Ayla lacks.

Now what's up with Crono's Confuse attack not giving the Confuse status ailment? That one always...confused...me...:lol:

Ha ha, it does cause the confuse status.

Quote from: Leebot
Quote from: GrayLensman
The Elemental system of Chrono Cross is based off the four elements and produces non-elemental effects classified based on their physical properties.

So, wait, the elements are non-elemental?

Dragonian Elements do not produce effects directly related to the four primary elements.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 11:08:05 pm »
Yeah, yeah. The CC system doesn't quite work along the same lines (what with two more elements and all). Your theory should probably come up with some way to describe their functioning and connection to the CT elements (The Red and Blue innates would correspond to Fire and Water, but beyond that it's pretty hazy). Even if the elements themselves aren't tied to the... er CT elements, each character has an affinity to a certain color.

Faulce

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 11:26:29 pm »
Hm, I always thought that the physical techs the characters used were backed up by their element. Example: (assuming Wind is apart of the Lightning element) Crono uses the wind to accelerate himself into the air to perform Spincut. He may also use the wind to circle around the enemy continuously like a weak tornado to perform Confuse. But i guess that way of thinking falls apart when you look at Frog's Leapslash, which makes little sense with Water unless you imagine a wave crashing or something : )  Oh well.

GrayLensman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 12:04:24 am »
Yeah, yeah. The CC system doesn't quite work along the same lines (what with two more elements and all). Your theory should probably come up with some way to describe their functioning and connection to the CT elements (The Red and Blue innates would correspond to Fire and Water, but beyond that it's pretty hazy). Even if the elements themselves aren't tied to the... er CT elements, each character has an affinity to a certain color.

This has already been discussed here.

Andrelvis

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 05:07:29 am »

The Black and White correspond to Shadow and Lightning respectively... You can figure it by looking at the mail colors in CT. The lightning absorbing armor is White Mail while the Shadow absorbing one is Black Mail.

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 05:14:42 am »
And Yellow and Green are more like simple forces of nature. Wind, lightning, earthquakes, plants.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 08:52:55 am »
Quote from: Andrelvis

The Black and White correspond to Shadow and Lightning respectively... You can figure it by looking at the mail colors in CT. The lightning absorbing armor is White Mail while the Shadow absorbing one is Black Mail.

...but electric attacks are seen in yellow, and black isn't a combination of the other colors.

Anyway, I read through the analysis, and it does make some measure of sense. However, I don't think that all Elements are completely non-elemental, but rather some are more closely tied to certain elements than others. For instance, any red Element is likely fire-elemental and would have similar effects to fire-resistant/-absorbant creatures. Same with Thundastorm being lightning. Others, like green Elements, are less tied to a certain element.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 02:21:05 pm »
Should we begin work on the Magic/Elements article? The only things lacking now are the in-depth analysis of Chrono Cross's techs, and perhaps analysis of monster spells.

GrayLensman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2005, 02:51:27 pm »
Anyway, I read through the analysis, and it does make some measure of sense. However, I don't think that all Elements are completely non-elemental, but rather some are more closely tied to certain elements than others. For instance, any red Element is likely fire-elemental and would have similar effects to fire-resistant/-absorbant creatures. Same with Thundastorm being lightning. Others, like green Elements, are less tied to a certain element.

I'm not so sure that a conventional fire, for example, would cause Fire damage.  A Laser or Plasma Gun causes physical damage.  Ayla's taill spin is composed of wind, but is non-elemental.  The color system may be a compination of physical, non-elemental and elemental effects, but I don't think even Red and Blue are directly related to the primary elements.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2005, 03:31:34 pm »
They may not be related, but it seems to me that natural phenomena should be composed of the elements as well. If everything in the world is elemental in nature, then there's no reason to say a natural fire doesn't use the fire element.

Non-elemental magic is a tricky subject. Maybe there's a fifth, "Null" element that's responsible for all the non-elemental magic effects we see (such as Ayla's Tail Spin).

Faulce

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2005, 12:04:39 am »
I dont think that the dragonian elements should be seen as so important to element discussion rather than the four primary elements displayed in CT. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they arent "natural". Sure every character is innately one or another but then again, chess isnt a natural game, and yet somehow people are born with talent for it. The characters are good at harnessing one type of element, while poor at harnessing its opposite, like how people who are very used to hot climates in the south and can deal with them easily are easily damaged by colder climates found in areas of the north. The universe isnt dependent upon the balance of the dragonian elements, so I dont see why they would be extremely important to the discussion.  But thats just me : )

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2005, 12:11:15 am »
Or, they might be more natural as they come from the culture that evolved without Lavos' corruption. It's possible the Draconian elements are the way they were meant to be (at least on this planet), while the CT elements are unnatural, and due to Lavos' corruption.

This reminds me of another interesting point: the six elemental dragons. They seem to be the ultimate representation of CC's paradigm. To use the chess metaphor, if we were to find out that a "Chess God" existed, we may start to question whether chess is really so artificial.