Author Topic: What Chrono Trigger Fanboys Really Wanted in a Sequel  (Read 7790 times)

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: What Chrono Trigger Fanboys Really Wanted in a Sequel
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2008, 11:24:56 pm »
Perhaps "Classic Sequel" might be a better term then?
I'd say, in hindsight, that "gaiden" would probably be the best term.

Quote from: Wikipedia; gaiden
The Japanese word Gaiden (外伝, often translated as "side-story" or "tale") is used to refer to an anecdote or supplementary biography of a person. The term Gaiden is commonly used in popular Japanese fiction to refer to a spinoff (canonical or otherwise) of a previously published work that is not officially considered a sequel nor a prequel. However, some "Gaiden" story are retold stories in the perspective a different character, similar to that of a flashback.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2008, 12:09:09 am »
It continues the story of Chrono Trigger. Featuring the same protagonist is not anywhere NEAR a rigid standard for something to qualify as a sequel in written fiction. It only is in video gaming because that's what people expect.

MeshGearFox

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2008, 01:31:35 am »
It only is in video gaming because that's what people expect.

Unless it's Final Fantasy, where not having story connections at all is the norm.

(If it's something like the case with Star control 3, however, where none of the original developers from the first two games worked on it, and the original developers say that the game isn't a real sequel, THEN at that point it's not a real sequel).

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2008, 01:36:50 am »
It continues the story of Chrono Trigger. Featuring the same protagonist is not anywhere NEAR a rigid standard for something to qualify as a sequel in written fiction. It only is in video gaming because that's what people expect.
I think that's being a little over-simplistic about the application of "gaiden". Do you not agree that Chrono Cross spins-off/expands(canonically) on only a single/few facet(s) of Chrono Trigger from a different persective─that of Serge's.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2008, 01:38:13 am »
Yes, but it certainly brings it home with Lavos, the original villain.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2008, 01:40:50 am »
Yes, but it certainly brings it home with Lavos, the original villain.
True enough, but that is a sort of 'what-if' form of Lavos.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2008, 02:31:51 am »
It only is in video gaming because that's what people expect.

Unless it's Final Fantasy, where not having story connections at all is the norm.

Or Breath of Fire where the only real connection is the hero's name & connections to the Dragon clan...or Dragon Quest, which sorta kept the same world for a while...Phantasy Star kept the same world as well...I think Seiken Densetsu also kept the same world...the Mother/Earthbound series doesn't seem to keep anything really besides the villain's name & some similar themes, I think...idk wtf the SaGa series connects with one another...

It almost seems as though this whole "game sequels need the same protagonist in 'em" thing is a mostly new concept...>_>
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 02:33:52 am by V_Translanka »

MeshGearFox

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2008, 04:16:04 pm »
Or Breath of Fire where the only real connection is the hero's name & connections to the Dragon clan...or Dragon Quest, which sorta kept the same world for a while...Phantasy Star kept the same world as well...I think Seiken Densetsu also kept the same world...the Mother/Earthbound series doesn't seem to keep anything really besides the villain's name & some similar themes, I think...idk wtf the SaGa series connects with one another...

Okay, breath of fire is weird. As far as I know, BoF1-3 take place in the same world, and Ryu is various incarnations of the same guy. 4 and 5 may or may not take place in the same world.

Dragon Quest can be divided into two main arcs -- the Loto and Zenithian arcs. DQ1-3 have very direct story connections. I don't know much about 4-6. We'll see as they get remade. 7 and 8 are definitely in their own little worlds. The DQM games are generally side stories to other DQ games.

Mother 3 and Earthbound are very directly connected from everything I've heard. Mother 1 is connected, too, but in a much vaguer way that nobody really understands, and it's possible Earthbound is a remake of Mother 1's story.

Seiken's also weird. SD1 and 2 share the same world, with SD2 being a prequel, vaguely, to SD1. SD3 may or may not be in the same world. Heroes of Mana is a direct sequel to SD3, apparently. Legend of mana is its own world. I have no clue where Children and Dawn fit in.

SaGa, like final fantasy, doesn't share connections.

And then all of the Zelda games do fit into some timeline in the same world except Miyamoto is being a jerk and not telling anyone.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2008, 04:31:52 pm »
Just like Chrono Cross.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2008, 04:39:34 pm »
Heroes of Mana is a direct sequel to SD3, apparently.

Actually, it's a prequel. ;)

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2008, 11:15:57 pm »
 While we're at it, let's bring back Cyrus for the sequel. It isn't like he died or anything, no!   You see his body catch fire and dissapear like that? Dracula obviously teleported him to his moon base...   

http://drmcninja.com/issue11/11p16.gif   >_>

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2008, 12:48:35 am »
...the Mother/Earthbound series doesn't seem to keep anything really besides the villain's name & some similar themes, I think...

If I recall right, Mother 3 is connected with Earthbound (sharing a villain, again, and the main characters from Earthbound are mentioned).

But on the topic of sequels, I've recently become aware of a foreign horror movie called The Eye. It also has two sequels, The Eye 2 and The Eye 10. Though sequels, the only thing those three movies have in common is a basic theme (seeing the spirits of the dead).

Part of being a sequel, it would seem, is the creator's intent. If Kato says it isn't a sequel, then no matter the arguments to the contrary, it isn't. But if he says it is, then it is. So really, it is a fairly simple way to determine things.

x_XTacTX_x

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2008, 05:10:39 pm »
Sort of reminds me of that "Playstation 9" commercial.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2008, 04:37:59 pm »
http://www.destructoid.com/rumortoid-chrono-trigger-s-new-dungeon-possible-game-sequel-101218.phtml

Look at the comments.

Thank God the Compendium isn't run by a Chrono Trigger fanboy.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2008, 04:51:14 pm »
I got about half way through then had to stop reading, its so disappointing.