Author Topic: A note on Miguel...  (Read 8267 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: A note on Miguel...
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 11:58:24 pm »
Which part? Slapping MAYBE 20 of the same pics together...or using the prog that slaps them together to make the pic collage? >_>

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 12:57:55 am »
A)Different hair color/style, B)he talks, C)he's wearing glasses, and D)he just doesn't look the same.  And is it me, or E)is it kind of weird to have a guy with a version of himself from like 20 years ago right next to him.  F)I get the feeling they would have said so if he was Crono.
A) Miguel and Crono both have red hair, Miguel just ties his back
B) Crono was not mute, only a silent protagonist. Serge also has speaking lines in this game when Lynx controls him, so it's been established that "silent" characters are able to talk.
C) "Clark Kent wears glasses, so surely he can't be Superman!"
D) That can be part of how he aged and how he's drawn in Cross. The ghost children don't look anything like Toriyama characters.
E) And nothing else in this game is "weird"?
F) Unfortunately, this is the part that really does make Miguel not canonically Crono. HOWEVER, while it certainly shouldn't be put forward as truth in the Encyclopedia, if someone were to say Miguel is Crono in some sort of fan work, I don't think it would really be reaching too far.

Ekul

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 06:34:38 pm »
F)I get the feeling they would have said so if he was Crono.
F) Unfortunately, this is the part that really does make Miguel not canonically Crono. HOWEVER, while it certainly shouldn't be put forward as truth in the Encyclopedia, if someone were to say Miguel is Crono in some sort of fan work, I don't think it would really be reaching too far.
Well, They may not have mentioned Crono by name, but Leena seems to be named for Queen Leene, who Marle was mistaken for, or perhaps for the Leene Bell, which is an important place for Marle and Crono.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 07:28:11 pm »
Question.  Crono was the king of Guardia.  Why would he all of a sudden pack up and move to El Nido leaving everything behind?

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 09:06:08 pm »
Well, They may not have mentioned Crono by name, but Leena seems to be named for Queen Leene, who Marle was mistaken for, or perhaps for the Leene Bell, which is an important place for Marle and Crono.
This is still only speculation. Unless Kato comes out and says "Miguel is Crono", it doesn't matter how many hints and connections we the fans perceive, since none of it is solid canon.

Question.  Crono was the king of Guardia.  Why would he all of a sudden pack up and move to El Nido leaving everything behind?
Fall of Guardia ring a bell? Apparently someone peeved at Crono and co. traveled back in time and started an uprising with the help of Porre's army and advanced technology. If Crono survived, he might have put more value in keeping himself and his daughter safe instead of fighting a losing battle.
It would be nice if they actually told us anything solid about this.

Arcane

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 08:59:31 pm »
Wait, what? He's not Crono because he doesn't say he is?

Why would he bother introducing himself? For one part, he hasn't seen anyone in quite a long time, which kind of atrophies the social skills, for another he could theoretically have taken an oath not to reveal himself as the previous King of Guardia even assuming Marle and he were in office long enough for him to be known...

And yet another thing that'd make him not introduce himself as Crono...

Let's pretend you're Crono in that situation as Miguel. These kids do not know you as Crono. The only one who theoretically COULD even recognize Crono would be Magus as Guile, and that was not meant to be.

So why would he introduce himself as Crono?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 09:47:37 pm »
So, then, why was it that he uses none of his Techs...?

Arcane

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2008, 10:48:50 pm »

Does Magic even work anymore?

Also... I'd say if he's spent fourteen years with nothing to fight his skills would definitely atrophy, and if elements work for him, why try?

All conjecture, but perhaps I can give some INTERESTING conjecture.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2008, 11:38:00 pm »
I just thought of something else.  If he's Crono, why is his name Miguel?  Think about it.  There's no reason for him to not be named Crono.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 11:54:43 pm »
I just thought of something else.  If he's Crono, why is his name Miguel?  Think about it.  There's no reason for him to not be named Crono.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 11:56:20 pm by Kebrel »

Arcane

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 01:19:03 am »

Let's pretend you're Crono. (har har then you cudnt talk)

You just left a burning kingdom. You are possibly highly wanted. You now have a child, who could be in danger.

WHY WOULD YOU GO BY CRONO AFTER THAT?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 02:31:56 am »

Did this become the end of FFVI or something...? Why wouldn't his Magic work? And regardless, Crono's got Techs that weren't Magic...

Quote from: Arcane
Also... I'd say if he's spent fourteen years with nothing to fight his skills would definitely atrophy, and if elements work for him, why try?

Just sounds like a cop-out...and even if Elements work, he'd still have access to Techs (just like people in Cross have access to their Techs AND Elements at the same time)...And there was enough there (in the Time Crash) for Serge & Co. to fight, right?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 02:33:42 am by V_Translanka »

Arcane

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 02:35:50 am »

Did this become the end of FFVI or something...? Why wouldn't his Magic work? And regardless, Crono's got Techs that weren't Magic...

Why WOULD it in a place out of time and space? Also, his other techs weren't exactly amazing and I don't think I ever used any of them after I got magic, except for Double Teching. And, hm. Not having anyone with him...

Also, what suggests that magic is still usable?

Quote from: Arcane

Just sounds like a cop-out...and even if Elements work, he'd still have access to Techs (just like people in Cross have access to their Techs AND Elements at the same time)...

Um, yeah. But why use his weaker techs when he can use Holy Dragon Sword and BlackHole and lay quite a beatdown with his bare hands? (And why recode his skills, mostly positional based, to work on the player's party?)

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 03:07:07 am »

Let's pretend you're Crono. (har har then you cudnt talk)

You just left a burning kingdom. You are possibly highly wanted. You now have a child, who could be in danger.

WHY WOULD YOU GO BY CRONO AFTER THAT?

It's a completely different continent.  For all we know he could have not even known that the Porre were there.  And even so, why wouldn't he tell them?  He knows Serge is Wazuki's son, he knows Wazuki isn't a Porre soldier, and unless Norris is in your party at the time there isn't anything suspicious.  He seems to trust you anough to give out all this info.

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 03:18:53 am »
Serge is really MUTE!! He could't say that was Serge when he was in Lynx body. He just couldn't say anything.

But Crono, he can speak.