Author Topic: Palette Hacking  (Read 5217 times)

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Palette Hacking
« on: January 16, 2005, 12:59:02 pm »
Yousei made this before he dissapeared from the earth a few years ago, and I thought some of you aspiring Chrono Trigger editors might find it useful, or may not have known about it.

This program is awesome, and I constantly use it. You type in the offset where the palette you want to hack starts, and the colors are displayed. You edit them, and then you save them. Easy!
You can also search for colors (directions in it's readme file), so if the offset isn't known, you can find them yourself, even if you've never done anything like this before.

The picture below has the offset already typed in for Chrono's palette (which is the start of ALL the character, npc and enemy palettes consecutively).
And the colors displayed (which can be scrolled to the left) are the start of Crono's actual colors, ready for me to completely recolor him.

And a download..
http://www.romhacking.com/utils/general/palette/snspal03.zip

DivineDragoonKain

Palette Hacking
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 06:08:23 pm »
Awesome. Things like this make hacking better.

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Palette Hacking
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 09:00:14 pm »
This was one of the first rom hacking utilities that I ever downloaded and I still use it for everything every chance I get. It's almost too easy to get colors from an in-game screenshot and search for the values in ROMS and find palette data.
The first palette I ever found with it was for Chrono Trigger, and I tweaked Crono's clothes to a darker, neat look. In fact, it was one of my first ROM edits ever.

*chickenlump looks for old ROM*
Cool, I still have that one... >_>

You don't need to hack and transform the graphics completely to give the game a fresh, new look.

DivineDragoonKain

Palette Hacking
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 09:34:02 pm »
I made his tunic dark blue, myself. My attempt to change his hair pink(effectivley making him Trunks) ended in failure. That's the nature of the palette, I guess.