Author Topic: English DS trailer launches; 1UP editorial mentions Compendium with epic fail  (Read 7403 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Firstly, the English DS trailer is out, but it's basically nothing you haven't seen before; find it here. Secondly, as reported by Shinrin, this editorial by 1UP mentions and links to us. Unfortunately, like so many shortsighted people before, they saw the Retranslation and didn't bother reading the ENTIRE PARAGRAPH THAT PRAISES TED WOOLSEY FOR A JOB WELL DONE. Honestly, is RPGOne's reputation for hating the FF6 translation so bad that the stigma extends to all retranslations? Do I need to enlarge the font of that paragraph or repeat it 4 more times on the Retranslation page?

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Thanks 1UP for insulting us.

I haven't liked the direction EGM was going in anyway.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Seriously, what a bunch of douchebags... They have the impudence to call the Compendium a "certain flavor of fanboy" for actually taking the time to do a retranslation and enjoying it for what it is; and one that was never really supposed to replace the original, at any rate.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 02:19:47 am by BROJ »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Clearly it's just poor reporting; they didn't bother to do their research.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
I am proud to be among those fanboys with "a certain flavor."

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
    • View Profile
I am proud to be among those fanboys with "a certain flavor."
Yeah, I suppose you're right... :lol:

GuruOfGaming

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
I know it's probably a little bitchy to do to so, but you could always complain. You could probably do so on the ground of mis-repersentation. Though they could just say the author was "stating opinon not fact" and BS their way out, but i say its at least worth a try I say.

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Ooo, you should listen to what this guy says around 2:20

http://youtube.com/watch?v=S-8isX9VKWo

What an asshole...

ogh

• Earthbound (+15)
  • CT on DS OMG!
    • View Profile
I prefer not even comment that shit what 1UP told about us... They make laught! How can they be so... Ops, I told I don't will say anything XD

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
I registered and left a comment on the 1UP CT page.

"Despite what a certain flavor of fanboy may claim, Trigger was one of the most effectively translated Japanese games of the 16-bit era."

You misinterpreted this. The Compendium does not have any sort of 'fanboy' grudge against Ted Woolsey's translation, and the Retranslation project was not done in spite of him. The project was done out of interest and to allow players to experience the original version of the script which contains some differences. The staff have praised Woolsey for his work, and has never shunned it.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Eh, a little immature, but I posted a somewhat worded beating on his video.  That really pisses me off when morons like that just post crap that they don't know anything about ~_~.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE6Yg8lBXYA - Talk about broken English...They have troubles even speaking the right words.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 12:11:46 pm by justin3009 »

Darkshadw

• Porrean (+50)
  • RAWR!
    • View Profile
Why can't we all just get along? :'(

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
It's fine.  It's being settled in peaceful matters now.  But apparently everyone on the Compendium is a "troll" O_o..

Vehek

• View Profile
Response on 1up.com to Pyt Fumv
They actually want to change Frog's name to "Kaeru".  Why?  Kaeru means "frog".  It's like their going backwards.
Another misconception. So many people fail to notice that "Frog" was used in the retranslation.

Though, since he says "the new translation 'fans' are making", he could be referring to a different translation. But he might be confused on that too.

Edit-I don't know if it was actually a response to Pyt or not, but the misconception that fantranslations want "Kaeru" bugged me.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 02:13:02 pm by Vehek »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Quote from: Some Misinformed D-Bag on 1UP
Also, for the new translation that "fans" are making for Chrono Trigger.  This is a horrible mistake.  These so called "fans" want to change CT into some kind of anime fansub, adding crap like "chan", "san", and "kun" after every friggin name.  This is an english translation, not Japanglish.

They actually want to change Frog's name to "Kaeru".  Why?  Kaeru means "frog".  It's like their going backwards.

Yeah, I read that and thought to myself, "wtf is this d-bag talking about? there are ALREADY TWO fan-made retranslations out and neither calls Frog Kaeru...>_>

And besides, Kaeru means "Frog" AND "Change"...what English word does this guy suggest using that covers both translations for the word?

I also thought that link they put up in that 1UP article didn't make any sense...I mean, it just linked to the "About the Retranslation" page...? That doesn't even really help to imply anything.