Author Topic: Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes - HELP WANTED!  (Read 9353 times)

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes - HELP WANTED!
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 03:03:24 pm »
You delete it one at a time or modify it to your own?  You can't just empty the whole entire rom out, the game would be broken.

Nerd42

• Earthbound (+15)
  • And the Trogdor comes in the NIIIIIGHT!
    • View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42 - Chrono Tied
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 03:15:55 pm »
You delete it one at a time or modify it to your own?
If I do that, I'd want to release it so other people don't have to waste their time reinventing the wheel

You can't just empty the whole entire rom out, the game would be broken.
That's the trouble. How much can I empty out without breaking the game?

It would be nice to have the same thing for Final Fantasy 1 so people can create whole new games with FFHackster.

Iron Pastry Man

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 08:44:07 am »
@nerd42
If you want a blank Chrono Trigger, you boot up Temporal Flux and just get delete happy through the event editor, right after you figure out what does what.  It really doesn't take long at all to wipe the game (maybe half an hourish if you know what you're doing).  Learning the game's coding to the point where you can make it do what you want it to do, when you want it to, with a cherry on top, is what takes the most time.

I'm still new around here so I don't know the local customs, but I think it'd be nice to keep this thread on the topic of helping the Crimson Echoes project instead of dreaming about your own.  We all have dreams, but we need discipline to make them reality ('scuse me if I sound Victorian).  Besides, if you're serious about your own work, how hard is it to make your own thread?

Anyways...

Thanks for the help last week JLukas, program works beautiful.  I've been fiddling around with it in some spare time I had; retouching the overworld map, trying to get Mystic Mountain debugged, rearranging NPC's here and there, and (yes, I'm guilty of it) getting strong equipment (Swallow, Haste Helm, Berserker) at game start to see how quickly I can get through.  I'm still a bit sloppy with the program, but I'm catching on.  It's only a matter of time..

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 10:00:06 pm »
This is rather embarrassing, but...

I would help, but I really don't know the program. For some reason my computer runs very slowly when I try to access the tutorials and guides hosted here on the site, and even WITH those guides...I'm still pretty clueless.

I've never used a program remotely like this before...but everyone has got to start somewhere, right? Is there a first-timer tutorial out there, or am I on my own?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 04:58:00 am »
Ah, the encyclopedia is just a little slow lately.

Mapping is "relatively" easy, in that once you load a location, you click a tile on the right with your mouse, and then if you click on the map, it will lay down that tile. Then, to save, you go to Locations > Write to Memory, and then File > Save.

But it gets complex after that. There are three layers out there; layer 2 is the background, layer 1 is the foreground, and layer 3 is lighting effects. Layer 1 is mostly objects, like chairs. Anyhow, it matters because whatever layer is checked under the Locations > file thingie, is what layer you will be editing when you lay down tiles.

Then, things get more complex because walls need to be solid, height needs to be handled, and stairs...ugh, stairs can be a nightmare.

But that's not the most important thing right now; we just need someone with an eye for aesthetically pleasing stuff. Solidity and z-plane can be polished later in the beta phase. If you want to map, just load something up and try it out. I added a little extension to Crono's room as my first act in Temporal Flux, with a table and some chairs. It's an easy learning curve for laying down tiles.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 01:22:13 pm »
Look up the how to thread for more trucks.

Jp

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 05:18:42 pm »
Ah, the encyclopedia is just a little slow lately.

Mapping is "relatively" easy, in that once you load a location, you click a tile on the right with your mouse, and then if you click on the map, it will lay down that tile. Then, to save, you go to Locations > Write to Memory, and then File > Save.

But it gets complex after that. There are three layers out there; layer 2 is the background, layer 1 is the foreground, and layer 3 is lighting effects. Layer 1 is mostly objects, like chairs. Anyhow, it matters because whatever layer is checked under the Locations > file thingie, is what layer you will be editing when you lay down tiles.

Then, things get more complex because walls need to be solid, height needs to be handled, and stairs...ugh, stairs can be a nightmare.

I want to be blunt and say that REMEMBER THAT IN BOLD!

There is nothing worse than trying to clean up a map and find it all in the same layer, especially a rather large map.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2008, 08:51:30 pm »
Oh! That helps a lot! Thank you! Let's see if I can get something going in TF now...

Nerd42

• Earthbound (+15)
  • And the Trogdor comes in the NIIIIIGHT!
    • View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42 - Chrono Tied
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 10:58:17 am »
@nerd42
If you want a blank Chrono Trigger, you boot up Temporal Flux and just get delete happy through the event editor, right after you figure out what does what.
How do I even figure that out if I don't know which event happens first?

I'm still new around here so I don't know the local customs, but I think it'd be nice to keep this thread on the topic of helping the Crimson Echoes project instead of dreaming about your own.  We all have dreams, but we need discipline to make them reality ('scuse me if I sound Victorian).  Besides, if you're serious about your own work, how hard is it to make your own thread?
Well that wasn't so much about starting my own project, which I'll probably never do anything impressive with, so much as it was about how do I start learning how to do this? How can I make changes and actually see them in my snes emulator? If I could get started learning that, I'd love to help out Crimson Echoes. :)

Shiku

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 10:00:53 pm »
I'd like to lend a hand if I could. I haven't done much spriting recently, but I know the basics, as I used to do some MegaMan spriting and such.  I'd also be interested in script editing. I can be really anal when it comes to spelling and grammar.

Kilfer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Myndflame.com (or) myspace.com/sterence
    • View Profile
    • My teams movie site. Myndflame movies are ours
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 05:15:31 pm »
Hey! I've been a longtime fan of Chrono Trigger (since I was about 6, or very young). I've been familiar with Crimson Echoes for a while now, but to be honest, this thread really came out of no where for me! I have been waiting for some fricken information on echoes to really surface.

Anyways, more to the point, I read through the thread, and from what I've found, does this mean that there are absolutely no open positions for any of us skilled in creative writing or dialogue? I've definitely had some experience with both and, I'm quite curious about contributing in such a fashion . . .

(this is the part where you tell me "newb! Did you NOT see the open positions list earlier?" and I walk away ashamed  :lol: )

(PS: I have experience in scripting. I have written and created ideas and small scripts/storyboards for a small films series called "Illegal Danish" (youtube it) for "World of Warcraft", as well as other smaller movie titles using the same game engine. Sadly, my experience with anything more complex than a pen and paper, is quite minor 8) )

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 05:24:00 pm »
Shiku - if you are still around sorry this reply totally got past me somehow.  We could really use your help.  Somewhere around here is a post about the test to become a CE Sprite editor.  In general just show me that you can replace any sprite with any new sprite.  The test is required because people say they have spriting experience but then it turns out they dont know how to export/import graphics.....so it doesn't help all that much.

Kilfer- Zeality is going through and doing a HUGE dialogue insertion right now.  Since he's already done about 1/3 of the game i want to wait till he finishes then i'll open it up for people to go through and critique the dialog. There's quite a few people who have contacted me wanting to review text.

--JP

Kilfer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Myndflame.com (or) myspace.com/sterence
    • View Profile
    • My teams movie site. Myndflame movies are ours
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 06:41:19 pm »
Sounds good. Like I said, I'm very passionate about Chrono Trigger, and definitely want to be able to apply my skills if possible, to Crimson Echoes.

I'll be checking in regularly.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm pretty damn familiar (pg? pg-13?) with repetitious labor for good quality. I don't mind doing quality assurance testing either . . . (although this job is saved for the members who have been here far longer than I :-p and for those that have put forth an effort, so I understand entirely if I'm not given the job). But if you want someone who will walk along every wall or re-enact the same scene an unhealthy amount of times, running on Mt. Dew and hope alone, I have nothing but time . . . most of the time ;-)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 06:46:26 pm by Kilfer »

Azure

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 07:31:17 pm »
I can help with mapping.  I've been getting experience working on CT+ as of a couple weeks ago.  Not exactly the greatest with Z-plane editing, but I have a logical head on me, so I can design areas pretty well.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2008, 03:18:51 pm »
It looks like this project is getting a lot of helpful support! Good luck, all!

By the way...I've been making good use of the TF tutorials, but I've hit a snag in the 'Creating a small scene between NPCs' section...it says this in the guide...

In Temporal Flux 1.7, go to Dialogue (0x384650) in Strings (if 2.0 is out by the time you read this, you can just paste these as you make textbox commands). Replace lines 00-07 with the following:

In whatever version of TF that I have...there is no 'Dialogue' option in strings. ( I'm pretty sure I have 1.7 )

There are two boxes. One says 'Group' and the other contains a drop-down menu with Ages, Battle Enemy msgs, battle party msgs...all the way to 'years,' but no 'Dialogue.' Help?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 05:07:11 pm by Katie Skyye »