Author Topic: CHRONO TRIGGER DS - CONFIRMED NA RELEASE, NEW DUNGEON, WIRELESS, TOUCH SCREEN  (Read 21898 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Oh ye of little faith...With most things, I'd agree with you, 4th Triforce piece...Having lowered expectations can make things great when they surprise you by being good or even just average...but Chrono Hype is uncontrollable for me...Plus, personally I don't see it as hype...IF they do upgrade the graphics as well, great, but if not, I still think it'll be a great coup for the series...plus, 9 times outta 10 (completely made up!)...

hype=sales

DarioEMeloD

• Guardian (+100)
  • Ñ
    • View Profile
I'm crying!!!
:D
I can't wait... I'll buy myself a DS only for this game!!!

hey and what about the soundtrack? will they use the same from the snes?
(well i don't think so, but...)

Jacques Strappe

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Honestly, I'm not that excited.

At first I was really excited when Captain B sent me a message on facebook (after adding me again, because he DROPPED me!  :x), but then after reading that it's not that there won't be any major graphical changes (I was hoping for a 3D makeover like FF), but it looks like they're just going to add a dungeon and a touchscreen.

Mitchr90

• Guardian (+100)
  • I am here to protest beauty pageant sexism
    • View Profile
my opinion for the graphics (im not saying this is what i think is going to happen, this is what i say should happen) is that they should be redone but not in 3D. if theres one thing i cant stand its that the nintendo DS is in the stage that N64 and PSX were in: awkward 3D graphics imo.
have you guys seen what theyre doing to the kirby superstar remake for the ds? (http://www.nintendic.com/news/1291) theyre basically making it the same game but improved graphics, added cutscenes and a few new games inside (i think)
something like that in terms of graphics would be great

Yourgingerestfan

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
my opinion for the graphics... is that they should be redone but not in 3D. if theres one thing i cant stand its that the nintendo DS is in the stage that N64 and PSX were in: awkward 3D graphics imo.
For some reason this made me think of Chrono Trigger with SD3 or Disgaea sprites, and I'm not sure if that's good or not.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
http://www.gamekyo.com/Webmasters/Images/72551020080703_170508_0_big.jpg

From what I can see, it's getting touched up a little bit. I don't think full blown 3D graphics are something we're gonna get, but we could possibly get a few FMVs.

I'm hoping some new weapons will be added, more sidequests, etc.

Mixmasta_K

• Porrean (+50)
  • T H I N K
    • View Profile
Let's all hope that Chrono Trigger DS is not half-a**** excuse for Squeenix to milk the cash cow. We have begged, petitioned, and waited patiently for years. I sincerely hope this will turn out to be the ultimate love letter to us fans. <3
To me, it sounds like they could be using this to test the waters of CT's popularity after 13 years. I bet if this game sells extremely well, we might see an effort to get the Dream Team back together for a full-fledged sequel. :o

I'm going to value this release the same way I valued FFVI Advance. I have a feeling the extra dungeon will either be along the same lines as FFVIA's Dragon Den, since nobody would want to mess with the Singing Mountain/Zeal Dungeon without the dream team.

I am pretty confident that they'll put in the Battle 2 music in there somewhere, however. :lol:

steampowered

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Let's all hope that Chrono Trigger DS is not half-a**** excuse for Squeenix to milk the cash cow. We have begged, petitioned, and waited patiently for years. I sincerely hope this will turn out to be the ultimate love letter to us fans. <3
To me, it sounds like they could be using this to test the waters of CT's popularity after 13 years. I bet if this game sells extremely well, we might see an effort to get the Dream Team back together for a full-fledged sequel. :o

I'm going to value this release the same way I valued FFVI Advance. I have a feeling the extra dungeon will either be along the same lines as FFVIA's Dragon Den, since nobody would want to mess with the Singing Mountain/Zeal Dungeon without the dream team.

I am pretty confident that they'll put in the Battle 2 music in there somewhere, however. :lol:

This seems like a very wise comment. Though Cross was released 7 years ago, it wasn't as popular as they may have liked. With this release, they can obviously take advantage of the cheap opportunity to just take all the content they released and that which they produced but never released and not only test the waters but also make some guaranteed money. The new dungeon and the other new content will attract many, but not all, of the fans of the original to snap it up again, but more importantly, it may create a brand new audience for the game, seeing as so many of those ignorant young'n's have never heard of CT but so conveniently, for Square Enix, possess a DS. This opens up the opportunity for Square Enix to pick the series back up, if they find the response and conditions acceptable, though I'm betting that since they probably didn't have to reassemble any of the Dream Team that the logistics of another game may be a bit harder than for any other games they could devote their resources to instead. However, some of those former developers and artists still have a decent relationship with Square Enix, so it is not out of the question.

In any event, this is all speculation. I'd love to get my hopes up, but I should probably wait until the remake is released to see if they gave it the fine, royal banging it deserves.

4th Triforce piece

I wonder if the music will be the same?  I assume NDS has the same capabilities as the N64 in music and sound.

It would be nice to have upgraded instruments.   I would LOVE to hear Gato's voice like this.

http://chronofan.com/Black/Music%20(Chrono%20Trigger)/CTRP/bLiNd%20-%20Chrono%20Trigger%20-%20Gato's%20Song.mp3  Imagine hearing that while you are about to fight him on the DS.     I wonder how the battle will work?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 05:37:37 pm by 4th Triforce piece »

Compyfox

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • Studio Compyfox
Nothing can beat the "One Up Mushroom" version of "Team Gato". Seriously...

To the screenshot. Looks to me exactly like the SNES Version, but with more sharp graphics thanks to the DS screen. EVEN BETTER! Leave it as is, no FMV crap (like with the PSP Version, made the game only worse IMO - no phantasy - unless they throw in a friggin impressive 2D animated BLACK OMEN in there, sh*t that'd be tight!).

And I'm still up for a 13part TV show.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
I thought it would be cool to make a screensaver out of that clock flash, so I did. :)
To prevent myself from leaving the page open, and to save that flash, as it may change later.

I would have uploaded it as an attatchment, but it's a bit bigger than the size allowed.

It looks nice, and is full-screen.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HRTACKYL

Thank you.  It is now my new screensaver!  :)

Personally, I am very excited about this news.  Whether they remake it, touch it up, or if it's just a port, it's something, and I do believe it will give SquareEnix the opportunity to evaluate the Chrono Series popularity.  If it sells a lot of copies, we may get to see Chrono Break after all!  :)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Quote from: steampowered
This seems like a very wise comment. Though Cross was released 7 years ago, it wasn't as popular as they may have liked.

Try 9 years...Also, I think it was popular enough. Great reviews. Sold enough for at least one Greatest Hits (might've been two, I forget). And they DID initially trademark "Chrono Brake/Break"...Series popularity wasn't really the reason that we didn't see anything of it since then...It was really a question of getting the team together...after Xenogears, they sort of split from Square (freelance mostly, but they also just focused on other projects outside of Square), but recently they've all (although I'm not sure about Mitsuda) been working on Square projects here & there...

I think that, unlike their other remakes, an extra dungeon for Chrono Trigger will be a good because of CT's New Game+ feature. Another good reason to work through it...! I hope they add some more endings too...! ^_^

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
I was hoping they would have updated certain graphics, like the Portals, the Portal animation when you're going through it, and techs...just seems like an exact port with a little thing that can be done in TF.  I guess we'll see once it's out.