Author Topic: CHRONO TRIGGER DS - CONFIRMED NA RELEASE, NEW DUNGEON, WIRELESS, TOUCH SCREEN  (Read 22269 times)

jade

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6193283.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;1
Unlike the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest remakes, Chrono Trigger will not receive a graphical overhaul

i'm actually really upset.  i didn't want another damn direct port :(.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Gamespot is basing that on the only official news, the SE press release, and I still say that was vague enough to possibly be a graphical upgrade (maybe just cleaner sprites or something, but SOMETHING is still possible!)...

TimeJammer81

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
I don't understand why all the scans from w/e Famitsu that is are so shitty...V_V
From my knowledge, it seems that all people who actually buy Japanese gaming magazines and BREAK such news stories don't actually OWN scanners. Odd enough, they DO own digital cameras. That's just my experience on the matter. I've been to GameFaqs and whatever board I'm roaming around, everytime news breaks and someone comes forth with pics from a magazine(hell, it could even be Nintendo Power), none EVER seem to have scanners. Those who do always say, "Gimme a few days and I'll scan them in better quality!". Really, it takes that long to scan. I scan pictures all the time, and it's so fast to scan a magazine page, resize it, then host it on Photobucket or such. And I mean, REALLY fast. These people go, "Oh, I don't have time!". It shouldn't take any longer than taking the old photo snapshots, uploading THEM onto photobucket and giving out the direct link to it. Seriously.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
It almost makes me think that SE themselves released those shitty images as an added terrible tease...I guess time will tell (July 7th anyways?)...

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
It almost makes me think that SE themselves released those shitty images as an added terrible tease...I guess time will tell (July 7th anyways?)...

Me mum's 51st birthday

Eternal Myst

• Level ** (100)
  • Confirmed working on PAL.
    • View Profile
Yeah, but how do you KNOW that...?? Remastered graphics works just as well as anything else...
The original announcement came in an issue of Famitsu (supposedly) and in a scan of that supposed page (here) we can see what is clearly a 2D sprite-based image of Chrono Trigger. However, this may be A) A fake scan. B) An image of the original used by Famitsu for their article. Or C) an actual gameplay image.

Personally I believe it to be C, the real deal for three reasons: 1) The press release S-E released after this leaked mentioned nothing about a visual change outside of making use of both screens. In fact the only new functions they mention are a new dungeon and a wireless mode. They would have made a larger detail about a new visual style and about it being a remake if it were indeed that. To further confirms matters, when they announced their GBA Final Fantasy remakes they made the same sort of claims; (paraphrasing) "New dungeons!" but nothing else.

2) It's Famitsu, they have the inside scoop generally. They'd have mentioned and/or showed something if it were a remake.

3) There's no reason to change the visuals. Chrono Trigger has some of the best 2D sprites of all time, it has aged extremely well. To date they've only visually remade games that were in dire need of it. Final Fantasy III had to be remade because the only had NES sprites available to them, and IV was visually dated as well, looking more like a late NES game than what it truly was, an early SNES title.

Also it has been confirmed.
Now, a similar fate has met Square Enix's next Nintendo DS redux of one of its classic properties. Following the game's official Web site being spotted overnight, Square Enix has confirmed that Chrono Trigger will release for the DS this holiday. Unlike the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest remakes, Chrono Trigger will not receive a graphical overhaul, though it will be reformatted to utilize the DS' dual-screen presentation and touch-screen functionality. The remake will also include a Wireless Play mode and an all-new dungeon.

Edit:Im late you already know this by now. :jiraiya:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 09:38:33 pm by Eternal Myst »

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD

CHRONO FUCKING TRIGGER ON THE FUCKING DS!

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
Whoa. Wasn't there some kind of Zeal Dungeon that wasn't used in the original as well, or am I making that up?

There was a place that you couldn't get to... maybe that is singing mountain.

Chains Of Fate

• Fan Project Leader
  • Porrean (+50)
  • Chronologically Correct
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Crisis Forums
I'm extremely excited about this, but I think it's better to not have any expectations. No matter what it is, be it a port or a remake, I'll buy it. If anything, to add it to my collection and show my support. Hell, I'll buy the Japanese version the day it comes out, or preorder it somehow. (I did it for Xenosaga I&2 for DS so I'll sure as hell do it for this.)

I have a feeling that the new dungeon will be completely original. They must know that their Prerelease has been leaked out and that people are aware of it, so I see them making something completely new in order for the new dungeon to actually be new.

I'm still confused as to what "wireless play" is supposed to be?

Mitchr90

• Guardian (+100)
  • I am here to protest beauty pageant sexism
    • View Profile
man, what to say, what to say...
right before i heard of this unearthly news i watched this: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35772.html
its what SE is doing to FFIV and from what i saw they do alot of great work to their remakes nowadays
so when i heard chrono trigger was heading to the ds, i was just bolted with happiness
as for what changes they have many so far, they sound pretty good. remake, remastered, their both generally the same and we cant base whether they're going to add anything else to it by if its being remade or remastered.
of course i would love so much more for the game, but from what ive heard, a new dungeon, wireless play and the fact that i dont have to buy a new console is good enough for me :)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
A friend of mine mentioned PAX is going to be here in Seattle and since I live here now I'll try to go there.  RD are you going?

Undecided at present. If it looks like S-E will have a presence, and that presence will have Chrono Trigger though, that will radically alter the equation, and I think you know how that'll end up.

Shinrin

• Chrono Trigger Threads of Time
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Chrono Trigger Fan # 100
    • View Profile
    • Shinrin Cole
Yeah, but how do you KNOW that...?? Remastered graphics works just as well as anything else...
The original announcement came in an issue of Famitsu (supposedly) and in a scan of that supposed page (here) we can see what is clearly a 2D sprite-based image of Chrono Trigger. However, this may be A) A fake scan. B) An image of the original used by Famitsu for their article. Or C) an actual gameplay image.

Personally I believe it to be C, the real deal for three reasons: 1) The press release S-E released after this leaked mentioned nothing about a visual change outside of making use of both screens. In fact the only new functions they mention are a new dungeon and a wireless mode. They would have made a larger detail about a new visual style and about it being a remake if it were indeed that. To further confirms matters, when they announced their GBA Final Fantasy remakes they made the same sort of claims; (paraphrasing) "New dungeons!" but nothing else.

2) It's Famitsu, they have the inside scoop generally. They'd have mentioned and/or showed something if it were a remake.

3) There's no reason to change the visuals. Chrono Trigger has some of the best 2D sprites of all time, it has aged extremely well. To date they've only visually remade games that were in dire need of it. Final Fantasy III had to be remade because the only had NES sprites available to them, and IV was visually dated as well, looking more like a late NES game than what it truly was, an early SNES title.

Also it has been confirmed.
Now, a similar fate has met Square Enix's next Nintendo DS redux of one of its classic properties. Following the game's official Web site being spotted overnight, Square Enix has confirmed that Chrono Trigger will release for the DS this holiday. Unlike the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest remakes, Chrono Trigger will not receive a graphical overhaul, though it will be reformatted to utilize the DS' dual-screen presentation and touch-screen functionality. The remake will also include a Wireless Play mode and an all-new dungeon.

Edit:Im late you already know this by now. :jiraiya:

Actually that scan is from Jump Magazine or V-Jump also, Gamespot is the only one who's mention that it'll not have a graphical overhal. The Press release didn't say anything about a graphical over hal, and it didn't say that there wasn't one either. so, who knows?

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
I still can't stop giggling like a demented retard.

CHRONO TRIGGER ON THE DS! JOY! JOY TO THE WORLD! LALALALALALALALALA

Schala Zeal

• 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
I still can't stop giggling like a demented retard.

CHRONO TRIGGER ON THE DS! JOY! JOY TO THE WORLD! LALALALALALALALALA

You, giggling like a retard? I should get my digital camera and stream it to Youtube.

Mitchr90

• Guardian (+100)
  • I am here to protest beauty pageant sexism
    • View Profile
what makes this all so worthwhile is that we finally get to hear mitsudas piece in all of its glory. The songs were beautiful but they were limited to what the super nintendo had to offer.
Im hoping for a fully orchestrated rendition of all the songs :)