Author Topic: CHRONO TRIGGER DS - CONFIRMED NA RELEASE, NEW DUNGEON, WIRELESS, TOUCH SCREEN  (Read 21903 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile

(Artwork by the Compendium)

A press release came out today (a few days before July 7, the cryptic date Square is promoting on its JP website) confirming that Chrono Trigger DS WILL be released in North America THIS Holiday season!! THAT'S A FRIGGIN' CHRISTMAS PRESENT! The article touts "all-new dual screen presentation and Touch-Screen functionality", a "Wireless play mode", and a new dungeon! Ah, do you hear that? People are already speculating it's going to be Singing Mountain!

READ THE PRESS RELEASE
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 01:16:09 am by Ramsus »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Whoa. Wasn't there some kind of Zeal Dungeon that wasn't used in the original as well, or am I making that up?

Oatmeal1209

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Porrean (+50)
  • ROCK THE F**K OUT
    • View Profile
Wireless play mode?  What?  Can't wait to see what all this is about...  Sounds awesome one way or another!

Darkshadw

• Porrean (+50)
  • RAWR!
    • View Profile
Let's all hope that Chrono Trigger DS is not half-a**** excuse for Squeenix to milk the cash cow. We have begged, petitioned, and waited patiently for years. I sincerely hope this will turn out to be the ultimate love letter to us fans. <3

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Amazing! Never expected something like this!

ikcilapmada

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
If this wireless play thing is what I think it is, I'm totally buying a DS just for the game.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: CHRONO TRIGGER DS - CONFIRMED NA RELEASE
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 12:29:04 pm »
Whoa. Wasn't there some kind of Zeal Dungeon that wasn't used in the original as well, or am I making that up?

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if it was included to expand Zeal's palace, and that Sealed Pyramid of 1000 AD may finally be open in-game.

I really doubt the 'new dungeon' is Singing Mountain, but I think that's gonna be in the game (just not treated as 'new') anyway. The extra dungeon is likely a post-game area with many floors and 'super bosses' (like the extra dungeons in the FF ports/remakes).

Explorable 1999 AD and the original script with some legendary Woolseyisms kept (like FFVIA got) would be great.

Compyfox

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • Studio Compyfox
Oh crap... now things are definitely on a timer

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
What could the wireless play mode possibly be all about? Only thing I can think of is jet bike races across the Internet.

It'd be hilarious to see Square Enix add a Colliseum and a Magus-only chapter. They're going to have to get really creative to outdo the fanbase as far as extra content is concerned.

Daniela

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
It would be cool if they added another playable character (Schala? Human Glenn? =P)

Anyways, I'm so excited that the all-time King of RPGs will be released on the Nintendo DS...

Compyfox

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • Studio Compyfox
Maybe Wireless is like in Seiken Densetsu 2 (Secret of Mana), which'd be really awesome. Else it's just a useless gimmick.

I still want to see pictures of that game though. I don't trust Square that much that they only port the game. If it's 3D, I'm not interested, since the "Dreamteam" is not working for Square anymore.

Oatmeal1209

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Porrean (+50)
  • ROCK THE F**K OUT
    • View Profile
They're going to have to get really creative to outdo the fanbase as far as extra content is concerned.
Outdo the fanbase?  BLASPHEMY!!
Two-player jetbike races would be beyond awesome.  I doubt they'd program full online play just for a minigame though, so I'm expecting something a bit more... ambitious, I guess.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Wireless? I smell item trading (generally the easiest thing to implement, I think). A jet bike race should be fairly easy too (didn't they already release just the bike race in Japan several years ago?). A SoM style combat system would be fun, but it would really need to overhaul the combat system then.

Touch screen? Probably just the menus (in and out of battle), but I could see certain attacks (like Flame Toss) going only in the line that the stylus draws. Maybe characters can actually move around the battle field too; that would be nice.

As for the new dungeon, it probably is a "secret" dungeon that will have no effect on anything else in the game (thus probably no Singing Mountain, northern palace, etc). It would be incredibly if one of the missing areas was restored, but that seems like a lot of work for a re-release. I don't know if Square has it in them. Still, one can hope.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: CHRONO TRIGGER DS - CONFIRMED NA RELEASE
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 12:45:01 pm »
I'm not too keen on the idea of extra characters (Schala would mess up the storyline and the emotion of Janus's part of the story). Human Glenn I can't really complain with. A 1999 AD character and/or the mysterious 'lost party member' in the beta would be nice.

Jetbike races? Multiplayer? Fuck yes.

I wouldn't mind a difficulty setting.

Voice-overs? In my opinion, I find that likely, at least for battles and/or cutscenes.

...HOLY SHIT I BET THE ENDING SONG WILL BE VOCALISED!

So guys, if it really does turn out to be the original 2D style with say, improved animations and cutscenes, what do you think?

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
Gentlefolks, please lower your expectations a bit.

Remember Cross. Remember Chronicles. Remember fan rage.