Author Topic: Chrono Cross Music and Sound Investigation  (Read 10065 times)

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Cross Music and Sound Investigation (needs to be moved)
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 08:30:59 pm »
Yeah, I think there are some duplicates. Or maybe, a lot.

EDIT: Yep, the instruments are separate. A separate file for different instruments and tones. Plus some more sound effects.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 05:13:39 pm by dan_death »

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 03:34:46 am »
Ok, there are a lot media files in the MISC folder, but it gives me an "End Now" error when I'm trying to scan it with PSound. I didn't find any instrument clips in the Rooms folder, there is the majority of the sound effects there, but I'm pretty sure they're in the MISC folder...

Well, I think I found where Time's Scar is at, in the V folder, but there's a lot of sounds that I can't make out.

Sounds and such are in these folders

Rooms-The majority of the sound effects
BF-More sound effects
V-A lot of stuff I can't make out
Misc-There are some media files, but can't listen to, do to the "End Now" error.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 03:36:52 am by dan_death »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 01:42:49 pm »
Fascinating, thanks for exploring! The battlefield sound effects must be stored within the battle scripts then. V is for "Video," so that makes sense why you found Time's Scar in there. I'll have to take a look at this PSound error and see what's up. JCE3000GT was able to collect an entire instrument sample pack for Chrono Cross, so maybe it's something about the way the MISC folder is set up. I know I had problems running PSicture on the entire MISC folder as well, but it worked okay when I isolated the files I suspected were battle models and weapons.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 02:01:31 pm by FaustWolf »

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Cross Music and Sound Investigation
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2008, 05:13:21 pm »
Haha, yes I was right. I scanned only a few files in MISC folder, and I came up with some instruments. Then I copied most of the bigger files, and put them in a separate folder, and scanned it, and the MISC folder does in fact, have instruments in it.

But I wounder why I haven't found Radical Dreamers yet in the V file...or maybe it's because I didn't go through it all the way.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 05:28:37 pm by dan_death »

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 09:12:23 pm »
There are a lot of instrument files...

Isolate the bigger files in the MISC folder, then you'll see.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2008, 09:40:31 pm »
Awesome, thanks for zeroing in on where the music files are! This is a significant coup for Chrono Cross exploration. If you get a chance, could you list some of the files (in terms of OUT #) in the MISC folder that contain the instrument samples?

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2008, 10:44:33 pm »
Awesome, thanks for zeroing in on where the music files are! This is a significant coup for Chrono Cross exploration. If you get a chance, could you list some of the files (in terms of OUT #) in the MISC folder that contain the instrument samples?

Eh...there's a lot, so I'm just going to take screen shots, if that's ok with you. And how about I list most of the files instead of some?  :D

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2008, 10:54:52 pm »
BEAUTIFUL

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2008, 10:57:07 pm »
Killed two birds with one stone, did we, eh?

Thanks, dan_death!

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 11:01:45 pm »
Heh, where's the second bird?  :lol:

Eh, it was nothing, FaustWolf is the one that suggest to me, to do it. So if I wouldn't, eventually he would have.

Anyways, yeah, I'm sure there are still some more files that contain the instrument samples, but those ones contain a lot, takes a while to listen through them all...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008, 11:04:15 pm »
Killed two birds with one stone because you discovered some information that you were looking for, likewise those working on CC:DBT gained some insight, too!

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2008, 11:15:52 pm »
Oh, well then, you are welcome. But I would have never have found anything if it weren't for PSound...and FaustWolf suggesting me to do it.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 02:34:05 am »
You saved me a fair bit of work right there dan. Are you able to tell if there's some logical order to the way the instruments are stored? It's probably difficult to determine what song any particular instrument sample pertains to, and many songs probably share instruments.

I guess we could take this as far as an in-depth investigation of a typical instrument sample's hexadecimal code, but I'm not sure that in and of itself would further your goals as a composer dan. For now, would you mind looking up info on the .VAG and .VAB sound formats? I'm not sure these were actually used in Cross, but I've seen the terms referenced in relation to Playstation music before.

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008, 03:24:53 am »
Sure, I'll look those up. I don't know, there might be a particular way they're stored, don't know yet. What I do know is for most of the instruments, there are different notes played file after file.

EDIT: Not too much on .vab http://www.fmjsoft.com/fmt/vab.htm and I came up with some....interesting things when I typed just .vag into google...here's some info on that http://www.fmjsoft.com/fmt/vag.htm

I'll add more once I find out more.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 04:05:41 am by dan_death »

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 05:37:23 am »
Well, somehow I fixed the problem of PSound getting an "End Now" error. And I found 2000+ more instrument samples! I know there could be a lot of duplicates...and some of them are sounds but the majority are instruments.

I will come up with a list of the .out files that contain the instrument samples, in the next few days.

Well, that was faster then I expected, since it's lengthy, I put an attached txt file. And as the description says in it, I will be updating it until I've listed most of all the instrument/sound files, and what folder they're in. Later on I might even list if it's an instrument or sound effect.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 06:48:30 am by dan_death »