Poll

What Squareseries, besides the Chrono Series, should get a remake/sequel?

Square's Tom Sawyer
Bahamut Lagoon
Live A Live
Super Mario RPG
Treasure of the Rudras
Vagrant Story
The Bouncer
Other

Author Topic: What Square series, besides the Chrono Series, should get a remake/sequel?  (Read 8345 times)

Zergplex

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • Zergplex ~ Not all those who wander are lost
Re: What Square series, besides the Chrono Series, should get a remake/sequel?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2009, 11:17:30 pm »
Though Vagrant Story never got a sequel, I was always amused that it took place in the same world as FFXII and parts of it (both locations and story) were referenced in the game if you look closely enough.

Another note I got while reading the thread: While Xenosaga is the spiritual successor to Xenogears it is not an actual sequal. Square still owns the rights to Xenogears and could make an actual sequal to it if they so chose (of course it would be a slap in the face of the creator who left Square).

I voted for Super Mario RPG because I found it refreshingly original when it was released and brought me a lot of enjoyment. Culex was a nice touch.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2009, 11:20:28 pm »
I've only played SM:RPG and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Not as enthralled with the Paper Mario series, although I don't mind them.
I did briefly play Vagrant Story but couldn't get into it.

So my vote goes to Super Mario.

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2009, 11:29:12 pm »
 Rad Racer. That game was awesome.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2009, 01:23:08 am »

There ya go...From what I remember the first one was better, though...

Zergplex

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • Zergplex ~ Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2009, 10:23:11 am »
I remember racing backwards through the first game with my friend... good times ^_^

Sintu

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2009, 08:38:58 pm »
Vagrant Story probably needs it the most out of all.  The story was almost setup for a sequel, and then it never happened.

Super Mario RPG would be cool, but I don't know.  That's mostly me being nostalgic I think.

Other than that, I kinda liked Treasure of the Rudra's magic system.  It would be interesting to see something similar to that today.

I'd love to see a Final Fantasy Tactics sequel too.  Not the "advanced" series.  Unfortunately, Yasumi Matsuno left SquareEnix, so we probably won't be seeing a FFT or Vagrant Story sequel anytime soon.

dream of the shore

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2009, 04:33:14 pm »
I would love to see another sequel to the Musashi Series. Actually, nevermind, I'd just like to see a remake of the original Brave Fencer Musashi. I loved that game so very much, but it's too scratched to play on my PS2.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2009, 11:36:17 am »
I would love to see another sequel to the Musashi Series. Actually, nevermind, I'd just like to see a remake of the original Brave Fencer Musashi. I loved that game so very much, but it's too scratched to play on my PS2.

What, Samurai Legends wasn't good enough for you?

"IYUM GUNNA BE DA GRATIST SAMOORAI EVAR. HOLD ON, LET M'GIT MAH BELTS & ZIPPARS ADJISTED."

/sarcasm

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2009, 11:23:47 pm »
No one picked Bouncer... shocking!  :lol:

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
I just remembered one often overlooked Square game that would definitely be nice to have a sequel for.

Dewprism (Threads of Fate).

Setheus

• Porrean (+50)
  • One who knows nothing can understand nothing
    • View Profile
Vagrant Story!!! I really loved that game xD

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
Of the games listed, I would have to say Mario RPG. That was really impressive at the time, coming out so late in the SNES' lifespan and being so engaging. Sure, it was a bit on the easy side, but I'd love to see the same cast of playable characters reunite for another adventure - with a different graphic style than Paper Mario. Which is a lot of fun, but just not the same vibe.

That said, I voted for 'Other'. I doubt anyone would agree, as it was a bit of a flop - but I'd really like to see them take a stab at remaking or re-imagining Secret of Evermore, from 1995. It lacked the quirkiness of Japanese titles, but I thought it was a real creative spin on the genre to move the setting to the 20th century United States, arm the character with a bazooka and a dog, throw in some mad scientist elements. With some improvements, I think it could make for a really neat game.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Of the games listed, I would have to say Mario RPG. That was really impressive at the time, coming out so late in the SNES' lifespan and being so engaging. Sure, it was a bit on the easy side, but I'd love to see the same cast of playable characters reunite for another adventure - with a different graphic style than Paper Mario. Which is a lot of fun, but just not the same vibe.

Well, while they don't involve the entire cast from the first one, there have been a couple other Mario RPGs: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time...along with another one that's already out in Japan I think?

That said, I voted for 'Other'. I doubt anyone would agree, as it was a bit of a flop - but I'd really like to see them take a stab at remaking or re-imagining Secret of Evermore, from 1995. It lacked the quirkiness of Japanese titles, but I thought it was a real creative spin on the genre to move the setting to the 20th century United States, arm the character with a bazooka and a dog, throw in some mad scientist elements. With some improvements, I think it could make for a really neat game.

Yeah, it was Square USA, though...reskinning the Seiken Densetsu series...The Magic system was ok I guess...The badass robot/toaster dog was the real draw for me...JUST made up for the poodle part..>_>

Stanger5150

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Square never made a sequel of any kind to Super Mario RPG.  Paper Mario and the Mario & Luigi series was made by Nintendo using only SOME of SMRPG's elements.  None were nearly as good as Square's masterpiece.  I love the darker story that SMRPG adds to the otherwise whimsical Mario world... but in my opinion the other "Mario RPGs" don't deserve to be called sequels.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Well, I never actually said they were sequels (I'm not even sure how much the word 'sequel' ever really ties into any Mario, really), but I think they're all about on the same level (maybe I didn't dig on LotSS as much?), myself (not including Paper Mario because I never played 'em)...I think that if you enjoyed LotSS, the M&L games are good enough sequel alternatives.

Since SE acquired Taito, I can now say that I'd like to see a new LUFIA sequel~!! Throw in remakes of the original 2 just so the kids can know what an awesome series this was (the GBA one was ok, but the GBC one was a stinker).