Poll

What Squareseries, besides the Chrono Series, should get a remake/sequel?

Square's Tom Sawyer
Bahamut Lagoon
Live A Live
Super Mario RPG
Treasure of the Rudras
Vagrant Story
The Bouncer
Other

Author Topic: What Square series, besides the Chrono Series, should get a remake/sequel?  (Read 8341 times)

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
Now that I think about it, a Tom Sawyer RPG sounds really entertaining.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Tom Sawyer as an RPG would be lame cause the censors would never let the n-bomb pass their filters...>_<

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
Tom Sawyer as an RPG would be lame cause the censors would never let the n-bomb pass their filters...>_<

"Could you pass the oar, N-word Joe?"

yujinishuge

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: What Square series, besides the Chrono Series, should get a remake/sequel?
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 10:34:09 am »
Rad Racer FTW

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 01:13:48 pm »
Super Mario RPG all the way

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 06:43:29 pm »
Wierd that I hear about this, I'm not saying where but I'm in a discussion of Huck Finn, and we're discussing the racism of it. And then I find this, Tom Sawyer video game? Wierd, but of course it doesn't look that good anyways, both gameplay and certainly makes for a book but not a game story, and definetly the racist part of it can't happen.

It's very ironic that the stories are mocking racism making it look foolish, and yet when they made this game they make Jim in the most racial fashion possible. So, they had the writer is someone making fun of african stereotypes and the visual designer is someone who is clearly racist if they are making him in a blackface fashion. I have to put out there, after looking at that blackface photo, that is something that really scares me. Seriously, I can barely stand to look at that picture. It's inaccuracy, clearly they were going for nothing short of a monstrous look because that looks more like a monster than a human, bastards.

Anyways, on topic I'd have to say believe it or not Radiata Stories. I haven't played Vagrant Story yet(for the longest time I was convinced the main character was a very manly looking woman and I didn't even know it was an RPG!), and Super Mario RPG is a close one, but considering how well done the Paper Mario series is, I'm pretty sure tey wouldn't be able to pull off the same magic touch with it. Thousand Year Door was different in gameplay but had the same enjoyability but I don't see them doing it again.

Radiata Stories I just really enjoyed and felt like there wasn't as much to it once you finished. Certainly it was neat how in the hidden world they had so many legendary opponents, gods, and a ridiculous number of cameos in it, but it still was short in the end. Especially the way someone(not saying who)died suddenly. There wasn't anything afterward to make it just. It could've been necessary to beat the bad guy, maybe bring them back anyway, or maybe(for the first time ever)have the bad guy outright win(and I don't mean Star Wars way with them winning but later on good guys come back)since that would at least show why they were killed cause the guy was so freaking strong?
I really enjoyed the gameplay, the story was good and I enjoyed how it in a good way combined the elements of Majora's Mask(time thing) and Suikoden(practically everyone you see is recruitable)and the funnest(and funniest)thing totally original, kick absolutely anyone time and time again and eventually they get mad to the point where you get to fight them so really if you don't feel like leveling up through story, monster encounters(which are done in the same way Chrono Cross + Kingdom Hearts as well!), or missions or such things then you can just kick people!

I know it sounds like it has a combination of other game's qualities but it manages to combine them in a unique and very well done way! I personally would love to see another game of it(or at least my old copy which my brother lent to his girlfriend and although I got Kingdom hearts back which he also lent i never did get Radiata back...)!

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 10:33:47 pm »
I think racism in Japan isn't as big a thing as the States (or wherever white & black people are) or something...Maybe it's an out-of-sight, out-of-mind sort of thing? Wasn't there an incredibly black stereotype boss in the new Megaman 9? Tarbaby Man or something? Then again, with sprites it's difficult to accurately display the nuances of any individual race...

Rad Racer FTW

Rad Racer had a sequel too! The original was better as I recall...I forget...>_< Has Square touched that genre since? Besides as a mini-game?

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 09:31:54 pm »
I don't think that this is Square, but back in the day they made an Akira text-based (like Radical Dreamers) game for the NES.

With the rumor of a live-action Akira movie (squeals) could we possibly see a game in the near future...?

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 09:37:11 pm »
I'll say Vagrant Story, I love what I've played of it so far. Still gotta try out a few on the list.

Paradox244

• Iokan (+1)
  • Better Living Through Insanity
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 06:46:14 pm »
Fun Fact:  Paper Mario was originally Super Mario RPG 2.  I've seen videos.

Paradox244

• Iokan (+1)
  • Better Living Through Insanity
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008, 06:48:22 pm »
I think racism in Japan isn't as big a thing as the States (or wherever white & black people are) or something...Maybe it's an out-of-sight, out-of-mind sort of thing? Wasn't there an incredibly black stereotype boss in the new Megaman 9? Tarbaby Man or something? Then again, with sprites it's difficult to accurately display the nuances of any individual race...
The Black population of Japan is less than one tenth of one percent.  That's probably why you don't see them in many Japanese games.  However, the Japanese have always had something of a xenophobic streak, and there's even a minority group that they pointlessly oppress to this very day.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 03:00:03 am »
I voted for Mario because it was the only one of those games I'd heard of...don't hate, don't hate.

But a Tom Sawyer game does sound fun, I think Huck Finn would have been better.  I still remember we spent an entire 50 minute class period on the first sentence of Huck Finn.  "You don't know about me without you have read a book by the name of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer; but that ain't no matter."  A fictional character (Huck), making a reference to himself in another fictional character's book (Tom Saweyer), written by a man with a fictional name (Twain/Clemens).

But yea I voted for Mario...

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2009, 04:15:58 am »
Seiken Densetsu series.  I'm sick of handheld remakes and ports for this series.  Something like Legend of Mana only greater needs to be done.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2009, 04:44:25 am »
I voted for Mario because it was the only one of those games I'd heard of...don't hate, don't hate.

You should at least check out the other 3 that have been voted for: Live-a-Live, Vagrant Story & Bahamut Lagoon...You'll need to get a emu for Live-a-Live & Bahamut Lagoon (I think most ROMs should be prepatched by now), but VS is a great PSX game. One of the better action/adventure-based RPG battle systems...You get to target specific points on the enemy's body, sweet...!

Seiken Densetsu series.  I'm sick of handheld remakes and ports for this series.  Something like Legend of Mana only greater needs to be done.

And again, I'm fairly sure this is mostly for games that didn't get sequels...but I still say that they need to remake SD3 for us. Nerf the drop rates for the final job class & equip (and/or make them limit what you get to who you have in your party at least!)...

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2009, 12:20:23 pm »
Fun Fact:  Paper Mario was originally Super Mario RPG 2.  I've seen videos.

Common knowledge for one who's been to sites like Super Mario RPG Legacy, which, if I recall, (Got the link from a Google. The site is blocked :cry:) has coverage not only on Super Mario RPG, but Paper Mario an Mario & Luigi.