Author Topic: Can't start the game  (Read 4262 times)

Kuma-san

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Can't start the game
« on: June 27, 2008, 10:04:06 am »
Hello

I can't get the game to start. The game freezes just after the title screen (the one with the frozen flame) when I hard-patch the rom, and it just don't start when i try to use soft-patching.

I'm using ZSNES 1.51.

If you have any idea, i'll try anything ^^

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Can't start the game
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 12:58:50 am »
Kuma, did you use the headered patch or the unheadered patch? You can remove a CT ROM's header by opening it in Temporal Flux, at which point you should be prompted to remove the header.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 01:01:18 am »
I had the same problem, but then I figured out that you have to create the IPS patch.

Kuma-san

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 05:59:47 pm »
I used the headered patch. Can you explain me how to remove the ROM's header with Temporal flux??? I tried to open the ROM with TF but couldn't figure how to remove the header. I don't remember being prompted to remove the header (maybe I don't use the right ROM).

I'm not very used with ROM manipulations

@x_XTacTX_x : What do you mean by creating the patch???

PS: I'm french so excuse me if my english is lame ^^

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 06:27:21 pm »
When I downloaded the .zip for the Retranslation, the patch itself was in a different format than IPS, I don't remember which. You need a program called Lunar IPS, I think it comes in the .zip, and and untouched Chrono Trigger ROM. Open up Lunar IPS, and select "Create IPS patch". Click on the file and after a little time it should tell you the patch was successfully created. After that, click on "Apply IPS patch". You should get a window that asks you to select the untouched ROM. Click on it, and then it will ask you to select the patch you want to apply. Click on the Retranslation patch, and you have yourself the CT Retranslation ROM.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 06:32:20 pm »
I made a Youtube video tutorial of how to make an unheadered ROM in Temporal Flux and apply the Prophet's Guile unheadered patch. It's extremely blurry though, but it might just be of some assistance. The Retranslation patch would be applied in the same way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zJ4_9I-QKw

If it's too blurry for you to tell what's going on, I'll provide descriptions of what's happening at specific times in the video and what you need to select. This will show you the basic flow of the process anyway.

EDIT: Is Lunar IPS something you need to have installed on your PC then, Tact? I totally forget.

Kuma-san

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 07:44:10 am »
I remove the header of the rom and applied the unheadered patch and IT WORKS!!!!!!

Thank you so much, now I can fully enjoy this wonderful game.

I hope a french translation will be made one day ^^.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 12:16:11 pm »
Ah, good to know. Seeing the Compendium's work translated into foreign languages would be extremely sweet.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 10:52:54 am »
Is it technically illegal to host up roms for a retranslation?  It'd make it so much easier just to post a IPS patched rom for people.

Ramsus

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 08:49:13 pm »
Is it technically illegal to host up roms for a retranslation?  It'd make it so much easier just to post a IPS patched rom for people.

Yes, it's technically illegal, otherwise we'd have done it a long time ago.

It's not a gray-area issue either, but a clear-cut case of illegal, otherwise we'd have still said screw it and done it.

And then, it's not one of those clear-cut issues where nobody cares (like hosting all of the artwork and scripts), otherwise, we'd have maybe done it anyway.

Basically, the translated ROM would be a derived work distributed without permission from Square-Enix, and any time you illegally host games, music, or videos on US-based hosting services, chances are anyone reporting it will cause your site to be immediately taken down without notice.

So it's not a cease-and-desist letter we're avoiding (which I could care less about), but the more practical problem of actually being able to reach our audience.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 11:41:30 pm »
But Ramsus, isn't linking to downloads of ROMs just about as illegal as Littering or Jaywalking? I figured it was just one of those things people would care less ab out.

It's not illegal to the point of being brought to court, is it? If that's the case, I might be in some trouble...

Ramsus

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 12:07:34 am »
But Ramsus, isn't linking to downloads of ROMs just about as illegal as Littering or Jaywalking? I figured it was just one of those things people would care less ab out.

It's not illegal to the point of being brought to court, is it? If that's the case, I might be in some trouble...

We're talking about hosting ROMs, not linking to them. And both of those are completely different from the acts of downloading and playing ROMs, which wouldn't make you much of a target for anything.

The problem isn't the possibility of being brought to court, but rather suddenly finding the entire hosting account for the Compendium is gone one day because Square-Enix decided just to send an e-mail asking the hosting provider to take the account down due to a blatant infringement of distributing illegal copies of their game. Most hosting providers in the US won't question something like that; they'll just delete the account.

This sort of thing usually happens for hosting music and movie clips, but it occasionally happens for software and games, and even ROMs. The reason all your favorite ROM sites don't disappear is because they're usually hosted and run overseas where nobody is going to come and drag anyone to court, so neither the hosting provider nor the owner of the site care two cents if someone sends them legal threats. And then little sites don't disappear because they aren't on the radar to begin with.

Honestly though, the only real reason we have to be careful is because we're the Chrono series site, so if we host a ROM, we might actually get called on it due to our visibility. Besides, Square-Enix probably wouldn't like us hosting most of the stuff we already do, so they might use a ROM as clear leverage in wiping us out without so much as a single letter to any of the admins here.

Basically, it's a liability. It provides a weak spot where, if Square-Enix decided they didn't like us, they could strike us down without even trying, because it gives them the ability to simply pull our hosting out from under us while we aren't looking.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 12:11:53 am by Ramsus »