Author Topic: Satanism = Bad?  (Read 8494 times)

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
Re: Satanism = Bad?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 03:28:17 am »
Heh.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 06:02:42 am »
Quote from: Krispin
Keep in mind that if there is absolute truth (speaking hypothetically), and it exists apart from one's self, then looking only inside oneself will avail nothing. (...) I suppose the question that must be asked is... if we are to break our moral chains, as it were... what happens if there are, indeed, unescapable chains? There is a strong desire in Nietzsche to break out of the herd, as it were. To some extent I find that commendable, but it must be wondered... are we just deceiving ourselves into a delusional freedom thereby? Basically I'm asking, what if freedom is, in fact, not only freedom of will, but free knowledge (knowledge free of ignorance), and as such one becomes less free, though they think themselves more free.

Consider where Daniel Krispin draws his ideas from. As someone who is still a believer, and a highly dogmatic one at that, he naturally concludes that to stray from religion is futile—it's those “inescapable chains” of “absolute truth” he mentioned.

But if this is his conclusion, then what is his argument? Ah! There is none. There is only “What if?” He asks this six times in his post, and then draws out from it the implicit rationale that merely by questioning the conclusions of others do his own conclusions gain currency.

Rubbish, of course. Logically absurd. “What if” can be the beginning of many a beautiful revelation, but the question itself is only a question from which we might proceed in a journey of discovery. Not so for him. He too has already made up his mind about this. He simply hasn't got the honesty to tell you what he really thinks. Instead, he phrases his conclusions as these insidious questions and hypothetical scenarios. He respects neither your personal journey nor the critical thought that would lead you to discovery. He came to this topic only to defend his creed.

It is the eternal flaw of believers to be unable to grasp that others exist outside of belief. To him everything is just another belief system. Indeed, he even says as much himself:

Why, after all, are we believing that because the majority believes it, because it's the ruling theocracy, as it were, that it must be wrong? Is this not the indocrination of a type of philosophy that disdains any sort of rule whatsoever? And if so, aren't we then just buying into another belief system in order to judge that whatever is believed by the majority is an oppression by matter of necessity?

He is saying that questioning authority “just because” is no better than not questioning it, and perhaps worse, because maybe the authorities had it right to begin with. In his own words:

Morality, social morality, is a system which, over the length of time, has been shown to work and to keep us continuing. Call it an evolutionary byproduct of culture.

There you have it! The Christians were right all along. Don't rock the boat. Nothing to see here. Move along. He even tries to make his argument more palatable by using the word “evolution,” so as to seem less rigid in his dogma than he actually is.

Krispin represents something that you are, with hope and hard work, beginning to move away from: He represents the deluded intellect, bent and corrupted around a divine premise taught to him by his equally deluded theologist father. It is human nature to want all the answers, to want safety and security and warmth. Religion has been such a boon in providing these things, but only superficially. If the wheels in your head begin to turn, you see that religion doesn't offer what you thought it did. It's too shallow, and it compensates for its weakness by asking us not to think too hard. That, in a nutshell, is Daniel Krispin. That's where he's coming from. His world is a world where humans are weak, stupid, and unable to do anything for themselves unless it is with a god's grace.

A freethinker's world, on the other hand, is a world where humans are weak, stupid...and able to do something about it. In one of Krispin's six “what ifs,” he asked what freedom is. Here is the answer: Freedom is the opportunity to figure it all out for yourself.

From that, comes the famous cliché, “knowledge is power.” Ask yourself not “Free from what?” Ask instead: “Free for what?” The point isn't just to be free from religion. The point is to be free for a lifetime of discovery and lucid thinking...and illumination.

Krispin doesn't believe in humanity improving itself. To him that is “Nietzschean” nonsense. I'm not sure where he got the idea that Nietzsche invented the premise of the confident, creative human, but I am sure that his study of philosophy leaves as much to be desired as his understanding of the world as it exists to those who have outgrown the warm, soft, and comforting teddy bear otherwise known as religion. If I seem harsh in my words, it is because they are harsh words. I have encountered many religious people, and all their arguments, in my travels. How repetitive they grow. How fixed in thought. They never learn. Will you?

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 10:17:07 am »
Don't make me laugh. You think I just ran around, picking a bunch of religions randomly like paper slips from a hat? For your information, choosing a religion after leaving the Catholic church, which was an exteremely difficult decision in itself, was one of the hardest fucking things in my life. There's a reason I said 'drifted'. I didn't mean to say something along the lines of "Jewish one day, Hindu the next", I meant I spent months looking for a religion that I felt I belonged in. Don't you dare think I'm some attention-seeking brat who thinks he's so deep and brooding just because he thinks he acts out of the norm.

MsBlack, if you're talking about the facts of Universalism, you're probably right. I never really went in depth with studying it.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 12:43:51 pm »
Lord J, why do you persist in illogical argument? All you are ever doing is an ad hominem sort of thing, and that's a logical fallicy, a rhetorical technique, not logic. It's always 'Krispin is this' and 'Krispin is that'... you sound like one of those bloody demagogues. All I said was a 'what if' and you shoot it down with your typical, dogmatic, bluster of rhetoric. And yes, now I'm getting ad hominem. You think you are greatly concerned with 'ideas' when, in fact, you've fooled yourself: all you are concerned about is beating the people who think wrong things. Because that's all your arguments ever devolve into. Indeed, though you argue with great passion, I've yet to see much of a cogent argument from you. Take in point that when I read Nietzsche I find him an excellent questioner and arguer, though he says many of the same things as you. You, in contrast, are not. Fire but no substance. Look how many times you say 'you' and 'he'... you are more concerned with defeating the individual than the idea; more concerned with how you are represented before people than the validity of your beliefs. And are we really to take seriously your appeal to the mood of 'freedom'... ie. that you start this 'well I preach freedom; THEY preach chains' as a method of winning over your audience? That'll catch the rabble, but no one of discerning thought. And if you win the mass, then you've become a preacher of your own dogma, haven't you?

If you want to be anything near to a philosopher - and you're not - what you must do is stop hating the people - especially those that disagree with you! - and actually, for once, have something that approximates an open mind. You have to stop, at every point, saying 'this is why this group is stupid' and 'this is why this individual deludes himself', speaking always against not the ideas but against the people. That, Lord J, is not the method of a philosopher, but the rhetortician, whose case is not truth, but to make the weak argument the stronger. Behind all your bombast lies a great deal of weakness, evidenced in that you always feel this inclination to direct attack.

Who is the one who questions? Definitely not you. At least I'm able to say 'well, maybe this, or maybe that', set my conclusions, but be willing to admit the necessity of many sorts of things. You're so stuck in the dogma of your own faith you can't even respect your opponents. That's the basic tenent of fanaticism. If you were anything of a free thinker you'd have at least considered what I said. But the very moment I started to speak you considered it so repulsive that it had to be wrong, no matter WHAT I said. Yet even I, as a believer in my faith, understand that sometiems even the devil speaks the truth. Yet you think yourself so entirely justified in your stance... Lord J, you'd make a very grand Inquisitor, of that I am entirely certain. At this hour you hold your flames and venom only for religion. Soon, all too soon, you might see that encompass everything and all that disagrees with your system of belief. Watch it, and for bloody once, at least consider that others who have a different view might be saying something worth listening too. It's nothing worth to just pat yourself on the back and be happy when people agree with you. That's just a soothing of your own ego, and that's all you ever seem to care about. When you meet with someone who can very much disagree with you, you automatically dismiss them as delusionary and use your twisted rhetoric to tear them down so that you can be victorious. How very small of you. I hope you grow up as a philosopher some day.

So if you want to give me a response, a cogent response, feel free. But don't just do this same old tired childish play we always see. Look at these last few paragraphs I wrote: that's the sort of dribble we have to put up with. Stop the rhetoric, and show us some of that philosophy you say you are so well versed in.

So in turn I've spoken harshly, because I'm calling you out on your facade and not willing to just sit idle while you vehemently descry anything that is not of your belief. You think you are open minded? You are more closed than the most ardent fundamentalist. If you want to be truly open, rather than just styling yourself as such, you need to respect those who choose to still wear clothes as much as those who have decided them not neccessary... to make an example out of your example. You call me incurious, yet I'm the one who can find benefit in Nietzsche, yet you are unwilling to see any good in religion, and at the first of my words you act as one who hears something they cannot abide, and in reply stop their ears and start murmuring their own safe words, lest they hear something that unsettles them. That's what you do as soon as I begin to speak: murmur your mantra of 'I'm right; I'm right; I know I'm right; he's wrong; he's just delusional.' Does that make you feel better? Does that soothe your ego or your security? Stop it. If you want to learn something, stop selecting only those things which support your current world view. You speak as though freedom of choice is the highest good... but is it? That's a question you've not asked, it seems. You seem content to merely assume that THAT is the highest good... a similar problem I have with Nietzsche... his arguments seem to be based on the idea that one should be a wolf rather than a sheep... but what makes THAT right? Ask yourself that: what makes that core idea right. You might bluster at that point 'well, that's self-evident; don't be so delusional' and like things, but that's only your ready answer to something you really don't have an answer for. You are making an assumption and leap of faith in things, but you fear to give it that name because that is anathematic to your nature.

I'll not grudge you arrogance... you once said to me you can speak arrogantly because you know what you're talking about, and I must admit I quite enjoy that sort of confidence. But this what you're doing now sounds like someone so worried that they might see something wrong in their system they angrily declaim those things which contradict. That's what you do to me each and every time. I'm beginning to think you genuinely are concerned to hear my argument, and as such have to put up these walls of fire because you cannot directly engage what I've said. After all, tactics like appeals and ad hominems are usually only used by those who have no actual justification for their stance (and yes, I understand the irony of using it in this post.) I don't think you entirely understand what you yourself are doing in this. I am one of the few who stands up to what you say, who actively disagrees, and with no small or constrained mind. Of course, you call me incurious, but is that because I truly am so, or because, lacking the ability to defeat me through argument you resort to what is essentially name calling and conveniantly saying 'oh, he's just that'... burying your head in the sand. You cannot stand that someone who holds an opposing view might actually do so intelligently, and so convince yourself 'well, he can't actually be intelligent; he's just limited; he's a fool.' Convenient balms to keep your dogma in place, so that you're not forced to examine yourself or doubt yourself. Who, indeed, is the incurious one amongst us?

You see? I can draw the same condemnations of you. At least I have no illusions about my dogmatic nature. But whatever you want to believe, leave off the rhetoric, if you can. But you can't, because it's the only way you can out-argue me, isn't it? I've seen your development. For a while you were directly trying to argue me, then suddenly, seeing that impossible, you devolved into this 'well, it's just his dogmatism' mantra. Everything I say, no matter how valid, is filtered through that bias - you don't even take into account that I plainly have some respect even for the likes of Nietzsche, though he would typically be my diametric opposite. If I'd had to guess, I'd almost think that some of the things I said did unsettle you once, and at that point you were forced to take your view of me down a few rungs so that your worldview would remain unscathed (I've done that myself a few times, of course... that's how I know the mood.) At any rate, you seem to have judged me for wrong not on the basis of my arguments, but on the basis of what I believe being contrary to yours. I... don't think you like disagreement much; more like a tyrant, you're happy when everyone thinks you're right and eminently wise; because whenever someone has directly questioned you, you've never said 'that's interesting, but I think you're wrong, and this is why', but rather 'you're an incurious fool and childish.' I don't think I've ever seen you give anyone who disagrees with you any consideration of having a valid point. Why is that? Are you so afraid of admitting truth in the words of others? In the words of your enemies? And you so vehemently declaim them... someone of a stable belief in one's own rightness has no necessity to that. You are not someone who wants to learn what others think, but wants others to think as you do. And with those you find impossible to convert - such as me, perhaps your oldest and sincerest foe - you resort to shouting down, lest I speak cracks into your fortress. After all, what sort of intellectual only admits right from those who follow his system? That anyone can do. No, Lord J, a true intellectual will look for wisdom even in the words of the devil. And your devil just happens to be religion itself. That, I think, is a lesson you have yet to learn. So, Lord J, welcome to the world of the Dogmatic. You're in it, whether you know it or not. And I still say you'd make a most excellent inquisitor.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 04:31:30 pm by Daniel Krispin »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 02:13:58 pm »
If you guys don't mind my introducing a new element into the mix so that Lord J and Daniel can get into it over something (maybe) new, I'd like to throw in a question I haven't seen examined in-depth at the Compendium yet.

Lakon distinguished his personal relationship with God as something entirely different from religion. Religion is a social thing, prone to cultlike mentalities that are responsible to some degree for various historical woes. What Lakon describes seems more like spirituality to me, something that's individual and a completely internal and subjective experience.

Does the question of whether a God exists, and along with that questions regarding the merits of religion, really resolve the question of whether Spirituality = Bad? Sam Harris, one of the most vocal anti-religion atheists, nevertheless seems a spiritual type, though he wants to remove spirituality from the realm of religion and subject it to empirical measurements and so forth.

While I see much merit in Lord J's observation that "The Answer" does not lie in any one religion, I am much depressed by the idea that "The Answer" doesn't even exist. "The Answer," of course, is something powerful, unseen and unquantifiable that links all conscious beings together, and something that deeply satisfies us once we've finally found it.

The words that have most shaped my own attitudes toward religion and spirituality are a quote from Jelaluddin Rumi that appeared on the back of an Enigma liner notes booklet:

I tried to find Him on the Christian cross, but He was not there;
I went to the Temple of the Hindus and to the old pagodas,
but I could not find a trace of Him anywhere.

I searched on the mountains and in the valleys
but neither in the heights nor in the depths was I able to find Him.
I went to the Caaba in Mecca, but He was not there either.

I questioned the scholars and the philosophers,
but He was beyond their understanding.

I then looked into my heart and it was there where He dwelled that I saw Him;
He was nowhere else to be found.

If we replace "He" with "The Answer," I wonder how incompatible this quote's underlying philosophy is with Lord J's and Daniel's worldviews, and whether there is any incompatibility at all.

EDIT: Come to think of it Tact, you may be interested in researching the Sufi philosophers. They're typically associated with Islam, but I consider them fairly context-neutral and generally incisive from what little I've read. Rumi was a Sufi.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 02:35:33 pm by FaustWolf »

MsBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 03:11:20 pm »
"The Answer," of course, is something powerful, unseen and unquantifiable that links all conscious beings together, and something that deeply satisfies us once we've finally found it.

How about 'purpose'?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 03:12:55 pm by MsBlack »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 03:26:52 pm »
That works. I find that there's a spiritual aspect to finding one's "purpose" in the "grand scheme of things." Although religion, and for that matter, "tradition" compete with and try to override the individual's quest for purpose.

MsBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 04:06:22 pm »
Many religious (or 'spiritual') folks, out of wishful thinking, seek to find some 'meaning' to life because they don't like the idea of just being a transient state of a bundle of matter. In fact, that's why many turn to religion in the first place. Fact is, that chemical reactions in our brains make us 'feel' 'unhappy' when considering that there is no 'Answer' does not necessarily mean there must be an 'Answer'.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 04:20:38 pm »
If you guys don't mind my introducing a new element into the mix so that Lord J and Daniel can get into it over something (maybe) new, I'd like to throw in a question I haven't seen examined in-depth at the Compendium yet.

Lakon distinguished his personal relationship with God as something entirely different from religion. Religion is a social thing, prone to cultlike mentalities that are responsible to some degree for various historical woes. What Lakon describes seems more like spirituality to me, something that's individual and a completely internal and subjective experience.

Does the question of whether a God exists, and along with that questions regarding the merits of religion, really resolve the question of whether Spirituality = Bad? Sam Harris, one of the most vocal anti-religion atheists, nevertheless seems a spiritual type, though he wants to remove spirituality from the realm of religion and subject it to empirical measurements and so forth.

While I see much merit in Lord J's observation that "The Answer" does not lie in any one religion, I am much depressed by the idea that "The Answer" doesn't even exist. "The Answer," of course, is something powerful, unseen and unquantifiable that links all conscious beings together, and something that deeply satisfies us once we've finally found it.

The words that have most shaped my own attitudes toward religion and spirituality are a quote from Jelaluddin Rumi that appeared on the back of an Enigma liner notes booklet:

I tried to find Him on the Christian cross, but He was not there;
I went to the Temple of the Hindus and to the old pagodas,
but I could not find a trace of Him anywhere.

I searched on the mountains and in the valleys
but neither in the heights nor in the depths was I able to find Him.
I went to the Caaba in Mecca, but He was not there either.

I questioned the scholars and the philosophers,
but He was beyond their understanding.

I then looked into my heart and it was there where He dwelled that I saw Him;
He was nowhere else to be found.

If we replace "He" with "The Answer," I wonder how incompatible this quote's underlying philosophy is with Lord J's and Daniel's worldviews, and whether there is any incompatibility at all.

EDIT: Come to think of it Tact, you may be interested in researching the Sufi philosophers. They're typically associated with Islam, but I consider them fairly context-neutral and generally incisive from what little I've read. Rumi was a Sufi.

(Bleh, typed this up, but then it seems MsBlack posted whilst I was writing. Oh, well. Here's what I wrote.)

Ah, the Answer. Hm. That is a tough one. There is one view I can put forward regarding that as per my Belief, but that's not exactly valid. I'll pull the Cartesian explanation of that: I can't argue the rightness of my belief to someone who doesn't believe as, for the most part, my arguments will be circular. I understand the nature in that. But if there is an Answer, it does lie in one, overarching, thing. That is, there can only be one Answer, one Truth. Relativism in that way is doomed, and I suppose the only redemption for it is that it seeks not to dismiss any one point in the fear that doing so will dismiss what will turn out to be part of the Truth. I believe this; you believe that. They are mutually incompatible. If one is indeed Truth, but we cannot be certain which, it is safer to say 'what you believe is right, but what I believe is right, too.' Kind of covers all your bases. However, there must always be one Truth to things. Either something is or it is not. If there seem to be multiple Truths it is only an incomplete understanding, or, worse, mistake. Or else the Truth is not simple. Say a mirage. Is it True? Yes. It is true manifestation of something that exist elsewhere. Therefore for one to claim some truth in it is a valid opinion. Yet to call it all truth is mistaken. Nevertheless, there is something that stands behind it.

However, there is an out to all of this, one which I do not personally agree with, but which is a potent argument. Nietzsche. To Faust, Nietzsche might ask you 'who's to say there is purpose?' He would call all these religious teachers, all the poets, teachers of purpose to try and give us drive to do anything. But an illusory purpose! Essentially, it is an important component so that we are not weighed down by uselessness, but in fact life might have absolutely no purpose, and these teachers are just appealing to a sort of collective weakness in driving the herd onward. Maybe there's nothing deeper beyond the surface? He calls that the gay science. This whole idea that there is some deeper truth to anything gets us away from just understanding things as they are, from experiencing the manifold complex surfaces of things. Truth is nothing deep; it's just the base stuff as it is. There's nothing more to life than that. Spirtuality, religion... these are all expressions of purpose to try to give meaning to a life that is inherently meaningless. The strong one would do without such a sort of crutch.

Now, of course, I don't agree with this. I would put the idea that there is nothing deeper to truth than the silly surface as being similar to the argument that equations can be derived down to zero. Yes, one can do that, but often the nature of an equation, of a thing, is best known not by its barest fact but in its application. As such, truth takes on manifold facets revealing those things otherwise hidden. That is how I disagree with Nietzsche on these grounds. Nonetheless, it is a wonderfully brilliant question to ask.

So, in fact, I would say that 'religion', though it might stifle the individual, does not override the quest for purpose, but is in fact a manifestation of it (one can find purpose in the herd, after all!) But what one must really ask... is is there a purpose at all? And are you going to be strong enough to get beyond that need? That, I think, is what Nietzsche would be asking you. You're saying, Faust, you are much depressed that the answer may not exist? That's why Nietzsche can be unsettling. He shows a lot of facade and purposelessness in what we do. That, in fact, is the really tough question to approach. Are you still so enslaved to the ideas of the old morals that you must have a purpose in your life other than what it is? Why do you have to look for anything else beyond it? Okay, now I'm playing the Devil's advocate. But I admit that his is a potent argument.

So that's one idea of what the Answer is: that there is none beyond ourselves. There is not just this and that and manifold things to believe in, rather, there is no deeper truth to anything. In fact, even searching for it blinds us to the potency of the current experience. While you're sitting there, trying to figure out what a rose is, how it grows... you've missed its beauty. And maybe that's all there is. But do we lack because of that? Or is it in that mood that we are truly awake?

Of course, as I've said, I don't agree. I understand the mood, but I've chosen otherwise. That's something difficult for, say, Lord J to understand (why might I do that? No, it's not for any more honourable, selfless, goal, but I have my own ambition and drive that demand of me not to think that way, but elsewise. I'm not renouncing for the sake of renouncing, but for other goals of mine.) But I'll save saying any more on that ground.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 04:33:20 pm »
Uber thanks for the explanation of Nietzsche, Dan. I never quite understood the "nihilist" aspect of his philosophy, but now I think I have a better grip on it.

MsBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 04:37:39 pm »
At the end of the day, it comes down to a wishful assumption that there is an Answer. Without knowing about 'deriving equations down to zero', I suspect your equation comparison fails because taking mathematical steps and using the results therefrom are different actions to taking existence (one might say, 'The Expression of Existence') and arbitrarily assigning a value or Meaning. Because that's all stating there's an Answer is: deluding oneself with a comforting assumption.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 04:52:08 pm »
At the end of the day, it comes down to a wishful assumption that there is an Answer. Without knowing about 'deriving equations down to zero', I suspect your equation comparison fails because taking mathematical steps and using the results therefrom are different actions to taking existence (one might say, 'The Expression of Existence') and arbitrarily assigning a value or Meaning. Because that's all stating there's an Answer is: deluding oneself with a comforting assumption.

Heh, true enough, I suppose.

Satoh

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Am I your dream... or are you mine...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008, 05:01:41 pm »
I have one problem with ALL religions...(Don't get me wrong I am religious)

People bring it up.

I'm not trying to be rude or insult your topic, but this is my opinion of what's wrong with religion, people never shut up about it. Why can't we be content with what WE have and not worry about what other may or may not have in that respect? Granted if something specific someone does, because of their religion, has some negative effect on you, you have a reason to be upset.

Aside from that... why? Don't bother addressing me, I'm just saying my piece and probably won't read any more of this... though feel free, if it somehow helps you make a point, to quote me, I guess...

MsBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 05:23:21 pm »
As a basic response (because an optimal response would take a long time to develop), which I hopefully word carefully enough to avoid the religious brigade from mauling me:

1) Religion leads to 'valid' interpretations of ambiguous 'unquestionable' writings and beliefs that lead to actions generally considered detrimental.

2) Religion condones and encourages (unreasonable) faith.

3) Religion is a trump card that can be used by people to justify absurd policies, often without reproach 'because it's their religion'.

4) Religion limits open-mindedness, questioning and 'free-thinking'

5) Religion suggests condonation of similar follies.

Note that some of these things are admittedly not necessitated by religion. However, in practice they are results of human religion.

And, for your consideration:

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Steven_Weinberg

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 06:21:34 pm »
The thing is, no one has any right to bash religions at all.  There's something wrong with every single religion and the only reason why they bash it, is because "THEY'RE NOT BELIEVING IN THE GOD WE DO!".  Religion IMO brings hope for people, but also pretty much corrupts peoples thinking.  I prefer to stay out of religion as i've seen what it does to people and it hasn't done anything good that i've see from my own eyes.

I'm probably off but the best thing to do is study any religion you want and ignore what people have to say about it.  Half the time, they really have no room to talk.  Just go with what you think is better for YOU.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
I vouche this at times.

Edit: The main thing that really bothers me about religion is that people will deem you "inpure" because you don't believe in THEIR god or you don't have THEIR beliefs.  It bothers the hell out of me...It almost sounds like a cult of selfish people going out to corrupt others.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 06:24:14 pm by justin3009 »