Author Topic: Schala a Violation of the Conservation of Matter?  (Read 8985 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Schala a Violation of the Conservation of Matter?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 11:20:08 pm »
Ah, here's how you solve it, I believe:

The conservation of matter is over the summation of all dimensions.

Since Kid only exists in one dimension at a time (i.e. there is not two of Kid, per se, for different reasons than why there is not two of Serge), the matter is not lost.

To note, Kato has specifically stated that Kid exists in both dimensions. But alternate dimensions can't count towards the conservation of matter in the first place. Sure, there might be one Serge, and even if we assumed there was only one Kid, there are two of everyone else. Either matter is existing in two places at once (a very possible state, mind you), or the two dimensions don't count to one total.

Or, a wizard did it. Thereby proving that the Entity is a wizard.

See my avatar for further proof.

However, it is implied in the series that the dimensional split was unusual. There certainly aren't an infinite number of alternate dimensions (at least, not as presented; if the universe began with an infinite number of dimensions, then there would be an infinite number, but the implication seems to be that the universe started with a finite number, and thus the number must remain finite).

But all of that is getting away from the crux; Schala being sent to the DBT should count as matter being destroyed, unless she was a Time Bastard. Yet, if she is a Time Bastard, then Kid's existance would count as matter being created. Either way, Conservation of Matter seems to be bunk.

MDenham

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Glowsticks are not a weapon.
    • View Profile
    • Java IRC - konata.echoes-online.com
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 11:31:42 pm »
Ah, here's how you solve it, I believe:

The conservation of matter is over the summation of all dimensions.

Since Kid only exists in one dimension at a time (i.e. there is not two of Kid, per se, for different reasons than why there is not two of Serge), the matter is not lost.

To note, Kato has specifically stated that Kid exists in both dimensions. But alternate dimensions can't count towards the conservation of matter in the first place. Sure, there might be one Serge, and even if we assumed there was only one Kid, there are two of everyone else. Either matter is existing in two places at once (a very possible state, mind you), or the two dimensions don't count to one total.

However, it is implied in the series that the dimensional split was unusual. There certainly aren't an infinite number of alternate dimensions (at least, not as presented; if the universe began with an infinite number of dimensions, then there would be an infinite number, but the implication seems to be that the universe started with a finite number, and thus the number must remain finite).

But all of that is getting away from the crux; Schala being sent to the DBT should count as matter being destroyed, unless she was a Time Bastard. Yet, if she is a Time Bastard, then Kid's existance would count as matter being created. Either way, Conservation of Matter seems to be bunk.
Well, then.

Since we're striking Option 3 as non-viable (good idea, BTW - infinite dimensions is pretty damn ugly to work with, as it implies either an infinite amount of starting energy, or "negative" dimensions in terms of energy) and Option 2 has already been stated to be extraordinarily ugly as a solution to this, that leaves Option 1, which I'll restate here:

1) The split, and thereby the creation of a new dimension (but not its contents), expends a certain amount of negative energy (i.e. the "vacuum state" of non-dimensional "spacetime" [obviously inaccurate as terminology here, but good enough for us for the time being] is technically a false vacuum, as its energy is higher than that of any "true" [that is, dimensional] spacetime).

In other words, the DBT (possibly) and non-dimensional existence (definitely) have energy that can be extracted, with some amount of net input, to produce at least one dimensional spacetime.  This net input must obviously come from somewhere (somewhen? :D :D), and thereby provides a "template" spacetime for the created spacetime(s).

BROJ

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 11:37:12 pm »
I'm not targeting you Thought, just pickin' a place to jump in.

Ah, but the composition(i.e. matter/energy) of Kid/Serge/[insert name here] exists in both dimensions; dimensions of a common origin. So no matter/energy is transferred, only information.

And a red wizard, at that! :wink:

The only real unusual nature of the given dimensions is the semi-permanent connection between them.

Again, I reiterate: no matter/energy was destroyed, as the dimensions share a common origin(same initial density), so no violation of the Law of Conservation. This does, however, fall into the area of the information paradox(i.e. no information can be destroyed)--and that's what the Time Bastard theory is for.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 04:32:08 pm »
I'm not targeting you Thought, just pickin' a place to jump in.

Always glad when you do jump in.

Again, I reiterate: no matter/energy was destroyed, as the dimensions share a common origin(same initial density), so no violation of the Law of Conservation. This does, however, fall into the area of the information paradox(i.e. no information can be destroyed)--and that's what the Time Bastard theory is for.
[/quote]

That would be true only if we count the DBT into the total. Admittedly, this might be the proper way of things, but the Time Bastard Theory specifically states that the DBT is for preserving matter/energy:

"Duplicates of entities cannot be created through time travel because this would violate the conservation of energy in the universe. If a time travel scenario would cause a duplicate entity to exist, the entity with the least seniority of time traveler immunity would be sent to the DBT." ~ Time Bastard Theory

Also in that article: "Time Bastard states that counterparts of time traveling persons or matter cannot exist past the exact time of the original article's departure."

And finally: "This ensures that a duplicate of Crono cannot exist; as a result, no matter or energy is added or subtracted from the sum of the universe."

Thus the theory makes clear that when a new timeline in created, "new" matter exists up to the point of the original timeline's matter time travel departure, at which point that matter is discarded to the DBT. Perhaps I am missing a subtly in the theory, but it seems that the Theory is concerned only with the end result "the sum of the universe." No matter or energy is added or subtracted, but plenty of matter/energy is being swapped out (which, to my understanding, would still technically violate the conversation of matter/energy).

Now I think you suggested a bit of a fix to this:

Ah, but the composition(i.e. matter/energy) of Kid/Serge/[insert name here] exists in both dimensions; dimensions of a common origin. So no matter/energy is transferred, only information.

I am not entirely sure if I am following you, but I think you are saying one of two things:
1) When the information of Serge transfers from Home to Another, that rewrites the matter that was serge's dead body in Another world into Home Serge, so no matter is created or destroyed. However, I doubt this is what you meant since that would make it impossible for Home Fargo to interact with Another Fargo.
2) When Serge transfers from Home to Another there is no creation of matter since the matter total of both dimensions are added together; not one dimension tallied apart from the other. I am fairly sure this is what you meant, but I mentioned the other just in case.

Now, #2 depends on a particular quality of matter; that it can exist in two (or more) places at once. When the dimensions split, new matter wasn't created, the old matter just had one more state to exist in (thus, information that orders that matter was created, but the same matter was used). We might compare this to a computer monitor; different images might be displayed on it depending on the information, but the creation of a new image doesn't add pixels to the minitor.

So, then, if matter can exist in two places at once provided there is information to separate the two instances, why do we need Time Bastard at all? A duplicate could easily exist in the exact same dimension and timeline provided it uses the same matter but different information; there becomes no significant distinction between someone who has a duplicate due to timeline split and someone who has a duplicate due to dimensional split, yet we know the latter case can easily exist. Yet Time Bastard exist specifically to prevent these sort of duplicates.

You suggest that TB exists for the purpose of the conservation of information. I certainly would be inclined to agree that the DBT exists for this reason, but Time Bastard? The Theory gives us a means by which excess information might be done away with, but we are then left with no reason to discard the information in the first place. Information can be created with no problem and, as we see with the dimensions, two different bits of information can happily share the same pool of matter. TB Theory is to prevent duplicates, but if it shunts matter (as opposed to information) to the DBT, then it violates conservation of matter as per the Schala Conundrum, yet if it shunts information (as opposed to matter) to the DBT, then there is no reason for that information to be shunted in the first place. Either way, using the TB Theory to take care of duplicates doesn't seem to make much sense.

Now all that looks very fine to me, but am I missing/misunderstanding something?

VincentGAU8

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Toma The Explorer!! TOMA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 10:35:23 pm »
Hi, just joined in this interesting discussion..
I'm just curious, the only *possible* object in the real world that could violate the conservation of matter are black holes, which we know are massive distorions in Spacetime.. Could the DBT have acted like a black hole? It not only becomes the junkyard of discarded timeline information, but also of matter as well..? Although it does not destroy the matter it sucks in, only 'stores' it away.. Or do black holes not apply in the Chronoverse?  :?

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 11:20:38 pm »
Black holes are possible violations of the conservation of matter? I never heard of that. I'll have to do some reseach before I can fully consider your suggestion.

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 02:00:42 am »
Black holes are possible violations of the conservation of matter? I never heard of that. I'll have to do some reseach before I can fully consider your suggestion.

They're not sure, but I believe that black holes don't destroy matter, they compress matter and energy to a singularity until it can't hold anymore, and a universe is born.

VincentGAU8

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 09:12:42 am »

They're not sure, but I believe that black holes don't destroy matter, they compress matter and energy to a singularity until it can't hold anymore, and a universe is born.

I am also unsure of this.. Hawking radiation may be the answer, but in a sense, black holes make information disappear completely from the Universe, violating all sorts of rules of Quantum mechanics.. And the multiverse theories are more possible in turbulent SpaceTime, such as Black Holes, and is not outside the realm of possibility. In another light, black holes may be just portals to other universes (but a wormhole would be more appropriate). Like, cosidering the purple portal to the DBT as a Black Hole/Worm hole and the DBT itself as a totally DIFFERENT Universe of its own.. I'm not so sure about that one though, too..

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 04:53:30 pm »
Alrighty... *pops knuckles*

Here we go!

@Thought:
I think I may have left something out due to forced brevity(i.e. RL)... Well, I think I've suggested before, in another thread, that the Time Bastard theory should be amended to be the 'Time Adoption' theory; in that, every piece of existence has a 'unique' 'tag' associated with it--that when new quanta of information come in with specific 'tags' associated with them, previous quanta holders of said 'tags' would be 'shunted' to the DBT(which in this case would be a relative illusion as no matter/energy is really shunted--an entire new dimension would be created anteroactively with the old one becoming nothing more and nothing less than a dissociation.). This is all assuming, though, that the universes in question, have the same origin. Hope this clears things up a little.

@VincentGAU8
Hawkings provided a solution to the information paradox(here); and there's a string theory answer here.

VincentGAU8

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 11:04:47 pm »
@VincentGAU8
Hawkings provided a solution to the information paradox(here); and there's a string theory answer here.

Those seem to be a better alternative than having information lost totally, but these are still proposition..
Same as with these so-called "dark-energy stars" link
All of those look real nice, but as black holes are still, they're unproven, only theories themselves..

The Time Adoption theory seems real plausible, I hope i get this right, but what kind information bearing a 'tag' would have to arrive and replace Schala's 'tag', so that she is shunted to the DBT?

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 12:08:34 am »
Those seem to be a better alternative than having information lost totally, but these are still proposition..
Same as with these so-called "dark-energy stars" link
All of those look real nice, but as black holes are still, they're unproven, only theories themselves..
Explicitly, no they probably won't be proven for quite a while. However, they have been proven implicitly; here is a simplified digest of the proof.

The Time Adoption theory seems real plausible, I hope i get this right, but what kind information bearing a 'tag' would have to arrive and replace Schala's 'tag', so that she is shunted to the DBT?
A 'tag' is basically a link between an entity's quantum packet and it's composition(i.e. matter A belongs in such and such place and condition) and since the human body completely recycles ~16 years(most of the body recycling much sooner than that) it is very likely that two Fargos could coexist due to probability(of course the Entity could just 'will' it, I suppose... :P).

VincentGAU8

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 02:54:47 pm »
Okay, hopefully they are proven true.. I too am uncomfortable with the notion of matter and information just 'disappearing' from the Universe..

So how about Schala and her 'tag'? What new quanta of information would have to come in and 'displace' her and send her to the DBT? Or do i miss the point completely?

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 09:53:48 pm »
Okay, hopefully they are proven true.. I too am uncomfortable with the notion of matter and information just 'disappearing' from the Universe..
No information is removed... an entire new universe is created with the old one becoming, in relative effect, the DBT. Also no matter/energy is removed/added, either─it is simply repurposed with new tags(saying 'where' the matter/energy is and in 'what' state it is in.)

So how about Schala and her 'tag'? What new quanta of information would have to come in and 'displace' her and send her to the DBT? Or do i miss the point completely?
Schala is a  'composition' of existence tags; if a 'new' Schala where to come in with the exact composition of tags of Schala, the old one's matter/energy would be repurposed for the new one and an entirely new universe would be created anteroactively─while relatively 'shunting' the old Schala, when in reality nothing was 'shunted'. A new universe was rewritten from the old one.

VincentGAU8

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 10:22:11 pm »
No information is removed... an entire new universe is created with the old one becoming, in relative effect, the DBT. Also no matter/energy is removed/added, either─it is simply repurposed with new tags(saying 'where' the matter/energy is and in 'what' state it is in.)

Multiverses in the real world still amounts to just speculation, but I do hope you are correct.. Although we cant still say with certainty that no matter is removed or added, because we cant 'see' what goes on 'inside' a black hole.. All the current propositions are made mainly with theoretical math and physics, with very little physical evidence..

Schala is a  'composition' of existence tags; if a 'new' Schala where to come in with the exact composition of tags of Schala, the old one's matter/energy would be repurposed for the new one and an entirely new universe would be created anteroactively─while relatively 'shunting' the old Schala, when in reality nothing was 'shunted'. A new universe was rewritten from the old one.

Ok, that's good enough for me.. Thanks.. :)

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 10:58:55 pm »
Multiverses in the real world still amounts to just speculation, but I do hope you are correct.. Although we cant still say with certainty that no matter is removed or added, because we cant 'see' what goes on 'inside' a black hole.. All the current propositions are made mainly with theoretical math and physics, with very little physical evidence..
I am not delving into Black Hole Multiverse theory(as I am assuming a common origin; i.e. parallel universes), which says that new universes are created whenever a black hole is formed(i.e. a parent-child Multiverse), rather I am only covering probabilistic parallel universes, which, in relation to the Chronoverse, do exist.

Side Note: Found an article that some may find interesting to read; it involves multiple universes and time travel.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2007/09/21/sciuni121.xml