Author Topic: Feedback Needed: Chrono Compendium Aegis System  (Read 9162 times)

Shinrin

• Chrono Trigger Threads of Time
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Chrono Trigger Fan # 100
    • View Profile
    • Shinrin Cole
Re: Feedback Needed: Chrono Compendium Aegis System
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 09:18:34 pm »
I have learned some things from working with CE before breaking off to my project, that's keeps getting put to the back burner due to stuff around the house. An much recently, having to help dad at work since he hurt his knee about 3 weeks or so ago.

Rebirth however has a lot done to it than just the opening. The opening is polished and every thing. Chapter 1 is getting a rewrite, and Chapter 2 has been started. (which is on hold til chapter 1 gets finished being rewritten..)

I did do a small project a while back, dealing with Loading from a save point. Which the patch can be found on romhacking.net which i plan to incorporate with Rebirth.

I've had some help already from a few people.

Justin, JCE, Lenophis and a few others.

Check the rebirth section on more stuff. (starting to post after i made this post.) 

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 01:12:24 am »
Yes definitely

Jp

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Hey, do you think we should go get some pies?
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 04:49:02 am »
Yes definitely

Jp

If thats a reply to me then sign me up  :D

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 10:37:51 am »
Rox, here's a thread buried in Kajar where jsondag describes what needs doing:
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,5250.0.html

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 11:38:27 am »
Sorry it was meant as a reply (I sent it from my phone so it was really short). Just so you know cause qe seem to get plenty of spriters but they get stuck when I ask them to do this. We need you to not only be able to resprite a character or enemy but also be able to reinsert the graphics in the game. There are only a select few people who have successfully done this (I am not one of them) and a tutorial has not been made.

Jp

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 12:04:15 pm »
If the graphics packet pointers just need documented json, that's something I'd be interested in taking a look at. If the knowledge is already there (like Vehek figured out sprite assembly, for example) I can synthesize it quickly and do a tutorial. It might be useful if the sprite insertion tasks were split up among artists and techies, with the artists doing the actual sprites and the techies figuring out how to get them in.

Compression is going to present some significant issues, I imagine, with recompressed graphics pack data being way larger or smaller than the originals.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 12:07:46 pm by FaustWolf »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 02:19:58 pm »
Though u am just guessing I feel as though extracting and reinserting the sprites is a major portion of debugging your new work.

I don't want someone to draw a sprite and give it to me and tell me to insert partly because I don't know how ha ha. But mainly because I feel as though I would spend as much time getting it right as it took to draw it. I may be totally wrong though?

I'm sure there is documentation somewhere but I don't know where

Jp

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2008, 02:35:40 pm »
I'll take a look at Geiger's notes to find the general location of the enemy and NPC graphics packets, and then document where all the pointers are hopefully. The pointers and palettes will be the most important. I started a palette location map when I was doing work on Prophet's Guile but it was inaccurate. I'll see if I can scrounge that up and fix it up. Ideally, we should have a Chrono Trigger File Structure wiki like the one we have for Cross, at least for the sections pertinent to graphics.

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Hey, do you think we should go get some pies?
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2008, 07:20:33 pm »
Sorry it was meant as a reply (I sent it from my phone so it was really short). Just so you know cause qe seem to get plenty of spriters but they get stuck when I ask them to do this. We need you to not only be able to resprite a character or enemy but also be able to reinsert the graphics in the game. There are only a select few people who have successfully done this (I am not one of them) and a tutorial has not been made.

Jp

The only thing I can do is sprite until I get a working version of windows xp onto my mac, which could be a long time

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 04:21:08 am »
I'd be willing to donate what time I have towards helping out.  I work around 50 hours a week, so while you might not see me every day you'd see me a few times a week.  However, I don't know off hand precisely what assistance I could give.  I don't really have an understanding of 'mapping', or cleaning up maps, but if it's something that can be taught I'm willing to learn.

I love the Compendium, so I'd love to do anything I can to help.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 01:35:27 am »
I don't know how low level you guys go to develop Crimson Echoes.....but I might be able to be of some use. Like I said before, I'm quite proficient in C++ and C# and still learning Assembly (a pain in the ass)...

While you definately wouldn't use those skills working with CE the way your brain analyzes would make you a great candidate to work with TF.  You should play around with it.  also a great way to hone your programming skills is to make some sort of tool that can help people (for example it'd be nice to have a tool that edits AI this is a plan I have if someone doesn't beat me to it once things settle down).  Also just a tip from a guy that just went through interviews and landed a job, don't put assembly on your resume it's an obvious resume booster that 99% of people don't care about.

I'd be willing to donate what time I have towards helping out.  I work around 50 hours a week, so while you might not see me every day you'd see me a few times a week.  However, I don't know off hand precisely what assistance I could give.  I don't really have an understanding of 'mapping', or cleaning up maps, but if it's something that can be taught I'm willing to learn

Mapping is really easy download TF play around with maps if you feel comfortable with it post/PM and I'll send you a map.  If you have any questions post them in kajar i promise I'll respond if FW doesn't beat me to it.

--JP

Gluttony

• Porrean (+50)
  • The Goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 10:39:59 am »
it's an obvious resume booster that 99% of people don't care about.
Which is too bad. Since having knowledge of assembly is a great tool for optimization and memory usage.

Damn them. Haha.

and......uh, what's TF?

And now, an AI Editor eh? The last editor I did was a particle editor for our Megaman game. It was either that, or an Animation Editor. But particles are more fun, haha.  So.......what exactly would that kind of editor entail exactly? An AI editor can go from pretty basic to something EXTREMELY  complex. Where...I have done AI in the past, but I actually get my official AI course (which is pretty intense) in about 3 months.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 10:44:46 am by Gluttony »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 10:43:49 am »
A little off topic, but who did the scenario and plot writing for Crimson Echoes?

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 11:44:41 am »
Many people have done the writing of the plot from zeality to hadriel to 99 and even me. Probably a few others as well.

The ai of chrono trigger is some If statements followed by a sequential set of attacks the hard part is decoding which bytes are which attacks and making the editor user friendly and big free there is a topic in kajar

Tf is the main CT editor.

Jp

Oatmeal1209

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Porrean (+50)
  • ROCK THE F**K OUT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 02:43:36 pm »
I know I'm not exactly an "active" member of the community, but I've been lurking here for at least a couple of years, and over at gamefaqs for a couple of years before that.  I have a bit of experience with pixel art, none with spriting though.  What I could do if it needs to be done is editing for the script, I have editorial experience, so I'd be good for the job, IMO.  I hate seeing fan projects or translation patches with god-awful grammar, it makes it seem sloppy and amateurish.

Other than that, I used to be a fairly active member of the Cave Story modding and hacking community, and have a fair amount of experience tinkering with that data.  I'm not exactly sure how close to that rom hacking would be, but if I could be pointed in the right direction, I could easily find out if I would be suited for it.  I had no previous experience with that kind of thing, and I picked it up pretty quickly.

I'm in total support of the Aegis idea, too ;)