Author Topic: An issue of citizenship  (Read 1730 times)

VincentGAU8

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Toma The Explorer!! TOMA!!!
    • View Profile
An issue of citizenship
« on: June 10, 2008, 03:51:57 am »
i have read this before in some boards here in the compendium, and i am somewhat intrigued by it.
there are some people who call the people of Zeal as Zealians, also stated in the site's ranking system, while others dispute this and claim to 'properly' call them Zealots, but isnt it that those people call themselves Enlightened Ones? the compendium's encyclopedia defines enlightened ones as the citizens of Zeal, and thus it is the more appropriate term. Zealots are people who act with excessive Zeal, not residents of a Kingdom named Zeal.  Zealian, on the other hand, is only a coined word to describe the aforementioned people. Is there any particular reason why  the compendium's ranking system calls them that?  Shouldnt we set enlightened ones as the official name for them, and make it so on the ranking system?

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
Re: An issue of citizenship
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 04:02:36 am »
Zealian are people from Zeal
Zealot may get confused with fanatic
And Enlighten-Ones was a term Zealians used to "describe" themselves

5000 thread!

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 04:42:24 am »
Zealot

And "Enlightened Ones" would give members on that level too big of a head. *shrugs*

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 05:43:18 am »
I concocted it because Zealot does sound like a noun, citizen of Zeal was too wordy (although I should have just used it in retrospect), Enlightened Ones...well, I should have used this too, and Zealish sounded like relish you put on a hot dog. Well, crap. Enlightened Ones is probably better.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 05:39:10 pm »
If you guys are on the issue of citizenship for Zeal, what about "Zealite"?

VincentGAU8

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 03:49:48 am »
Oh..kay.. i can understand that..

And "Enlightened Ones" would give members on that level too big of a head. *shrugs*

i don't think so.. i think that one can claim bragging rights in this forum when he has contributed considerably and relevantly to the site, not by the title they may hold.. look at Tact, he didn't even stay long in that rank, i went away while he was a Zealian, and when i returned after about a month, he now has a whopping 500+ posts, and the title of temporal warrior, and the human Glenn sprite.. damn, im still stuck with good ol' Karsh..
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 06:26:02 am by VincentGAU8 »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 10:24:17 am »
Yeah, I was mostly posting in jest...no one takes post counts seriously...just look at my own bloated post count...>_>

It doesn't differentiate between good contribution to the site and spam...Although I try my damnedest not to be too annoying...

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 11:33:34 am »
Vincent, don't let it get to you. The obsession with post count is ridiculous; as I've said before, one could have thousands of posts and still be a complete idiot.

VincentGAU8

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 11:32:39 pm »
um, im not really obsessed with the post count.. i am more interested in the sprite that comes with it though..

BROJ

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 11:50:53 pm »

Yeah, I was mostly posting in jest...no one takes post counts seriously...just look at my own bloated post count...>_>

It doesn't differentiate between good contribution to the site and spam...Although I try my damnedest not to be too annoying...
V, pretty much summed it up; the spam rate is rather low for this forum--which is one of the reasons for it's incredible longevity.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 11:57:57 pm by BROJ »

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 12:19:02 am »
um, im not really obsessed with the post count.. i am more interested in the sprite that comes with it though..

Agreed. Aroudn the time I hit the Toma sprite, I saw the Glenn sprite and I was like "WIN!". And now I have it ^^

VincentGAU8

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 11:27:39 pm »

V, pretty much summed it up; the spam rate is rather low for this forum--which is one of the reasons for it's incredible longevity.

wow, that was a good trivia about the forum..
(and i actually laughed out loud when i saw the pic)

Agreed. Aroudn the time I hit the Toma sprite, I saw the Glenn sprite and I was like "WIN!". And now I have it ^^

Well, good for you, and more posts from me...

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 11:37:52 pm »
I'll be saying my sad goodbyes to the Glenn sprite in 30 posts, so I'm all sad now.

Next is Pierre though, so I actually can't wait! 8D