Author Topic: [HIATUS] Zeal Palace in 3D (one person can't do all of Zeal, ne?)  (Read 16184 times)

Satoh

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Am I your dream... or are you mine...?
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Zeal Palace in 3D (one person can't do all of Zeal, ne?)
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 09:50:06 pm »
Woah. Satoh, if you complete this and tilt it a bit, you could make a pre-rendered backdrop that could be used in the Chrono Cross hack, perhaps for some kind of flashback or temporal-dimensional trickery or something. Very nice!

That would fit right in wouldn't it? I mean Magus was from Zeal... but... don't forget you would also have to create a lot more resources in order to make a new map... like foreground and background objects, the walkmesh...(I assume CC uses them) and all the event handling... and the warps for all the doors...

But hey, until recently I would've said you were crazy if you wanted to hack a PSX game... then again...you already have a retextured Guile... so why not, with a little time...?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 11:24:04 pm »
Yeah, figuring out the walkmesh format is a prerequisite for major Cross hacking, so it's on my list of things to do. I'm hoping the door warps will be in the fieldscript, along with the event handling. Utilizing completely fanmade resources in certain instances would be awesome.

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 06:27:59 pm »
It certainly would!

[PROGRESS]

I added the railings and the book shelves... I'm starting to feel like I'm actually in Zeal when I work on this model...

The bookcase, was by far the hardest, most annoying, object I have ever tried to reproduce... but I think it is a reletively accurate rendition of the sprited one in the game... (though I haven't put any random books or objects in the shelves yet, all of the shelves themselves are placed.)

EDIT: and I modified the placement of the stairs to better fit the 'intent' of the original maps... since some of the stairs look 2D from the front in the game...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 06:29:47 pm by Satoh »

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 09:29:56 pm »
More progress, I've textured some things to prettify it...

mainly the floor, and part of some of the walls.

[attachment deleted by admin]

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 10:58:11 pm »
Floor texture looks excellent - a nice parquet.

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 12:47:21 am »
the tiles at the bottom took a long time, because rather than make one texture with the blue and gray tiles, I made a texture for the blue ones and a texture for the gray ones and placed the textures individually...(in the same way the that BG tiles were probably placed when making the original map for the game...)

Basically, all of the 16x16 BG tiles, will be redrawn in higher definition in photoshop as separate textures...essentially I'm making a 3D tilemap out of a 2D tilemap...

Some objects aren't cube shaped and will need custom textures though....like the bookcases, and probably the railing.... and the plants...

Anyone ever noticed the images of the Mammon Machine are drawn everywhere in Zeal? the sealed doors have a likeness, a lot of the walls have them... all of the wall panels in the Black Omen are shaped similarly to it... granted it does look pretty cool, but did they build the machine in the image of something else, or did they randomly decide to paint pics of the machine all over their country?

jono

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 02:57:04 am »
Looks great so far, when your done do you plan on releasing the model or just renders of it? I'd love to look around at the finished product when it is completed.

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 04:01:44 am »
I'll probably release it... I'm also gonna be building Lavos at some point...likely after Zeal... but Zeal isn't nearly done yet... I still have lots of textures and a royaly painful amount of detail/tweaking to do...

And I have to figure out a way to make sure my name is on the model somewhere without being intrusive...

jono

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 05:12:25 am »
:) Well either way, it looks great so far, best of luck re-creating the textures and applying them.

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Hey, do you think we should go get some pies?
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 06:01:32 am »
Wow thats looking really good, I love your book shelves the most

VincentGAU8

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Toma The Explorer!! TOMA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 01:46:23 am »
Great 3D work.. i'm looking forward to the finished poduct.. that may yet be a long way off, but i believe you guys can pull it off..  :)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 04:11:22 pm »
Wow, can't wait to see Lavos in glorious 3D!

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 08:32:22 pm »
well, I'm not the first, there was a man by the name of Ian McConville who made one as a Morrowind mod...

Unfortunietly by the time I worked up the nerve to ask if I could have a copy, he had already lost it in HDD failure.... but I have a pic of it somewhere... I'm going to model it after his pic...

Let me find it...

Unfortunitely I can't locate the picture on this computer, but I'll upload it once I find my "My Pictures" DVD from my old PC...  Myabe I can find a link to it...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2008, 11:07:49 pm »
I saw that Lavos mod in Morrowind!  That guy is the guy who made the Moogle mod, right?  It was seriously KICKASS.  I thought I had pictures of it on my harddrive, but I don't...  Nor could I track it down in a quick Google search.  I think it was near Balmora...

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 11:12:21 pm »
I saw that Lavos mod in Morrowind!  That guy is the guy who made the Moogle mod, right?  It was seriously KICKASS.  I thought I had pictures of it on my harddrive, but I don't...  Nor could I track it down in a quick Google search.  I think it was near Balmora...

I seriously wish I'd had a copy of th mod... and yes he authored the mogmod as well...