Author Topic: Playable character mod: Schala  (Read 31264 times)

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Hey, do you think we should go get some pies?
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
Playable character mod: Schala
« on: June 06, 2008, 11:03:15 pm »
I had this idea for a mod or patch for chrono trigger but I can't mod or anything the only thing I can do is make sprites (one downside to being a mac user) and I was wondering if their was anyone who could help out with this.

My idea was to have Schala as a playable character using some of my custom sprites.

Latest Version: 5.0

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Roxsilverfox/ChronoTrigger/schalasprites5.0.png

Thanks, peace out
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 07:12:32 am by RoxSilverFox »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Playable character mod: Schala
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 12:24:08 am »
Interesting, is this an expansion of the sprite sheet justin3009's CT hack is utilizing? Whatever the case, definitely be sure he gets a look at these, as it might save him some work. As I recall justin was basing his Schala sprites on Lucca's clothing and movements as well. While it might not be what some CT fans would expect (i.e., flowing dress), this sprite sheet holds many good-sense practical advantages, utilizing most or possibly all of Lucca's sprite assembly. What weapon are you planning on giving her?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 12:28:14 am by FaustWolf »

Satoh

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Am I your dream... or are you mine...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 04:45:06 am »
hmm... just my opinion, but a short skirt doesn't really seem fitting for Schala... Schala struck me as a very refined young woman... (basicly, the type of girl Marle wasn't, but should have been.) The dagger I can see though. A lot of women, especially of high status, carried daggers for self defense in the middle ages--not that 12000BC is "middle" ages... but... seems fine.

(A lot of people don't know that... also some men would carry around several daggers of valuable material, for chance encounters with a woman that might need wooing... as gifts. It was sort of a gift for women men could carry around without losing face... as opposed to things like flowers and jewelry... also they were slightly less likely to be stolen...)

Rambling aside, I wouldn't mind playing Schala myself... but... idunno... that skirt just kind of... makes Schala look kind of whorish to me...doesn't bother me as much on Lucca... but then I don't use her much and she is far from refined...

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 06:24:13 am »
hmm... just my opinion, but a short skirt doesn't really seem fitting for Schala... Schala struck me as a very refined young woman... (basicly, the type of girl Marle wasn't, but should have been.) The dagger I can see though. A lot of women, especially of high status, carried daggers for self defense in the middle ages--not that 12000BC is "middle" ages... but... seems fine.

(A lot of people don't know that... also some men would carry around several daggers of valuable material, for chance encounters with a woman that might need wooing... as gifts. It was sort of a gift for women men could carry around without losing face... as opposed to things like flowers and jewelry... also they were slightly less likely to be stolen...)

Rambling aside, I wouldn't mind playing Schala myself... but... idunno... that skirt just kind of... makes Schala look kind of whorish to me...doesn't bother me as much on Lucca... but then I don't use her much and she is far from refined...

I suppose you're right but it'll take to darn long to modify everything, I'll give it a try but I don't think it's really worth it. Plus don't you think it would it be hard to run in a dress?

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 06:24:50 am »
Interesting, is this an expansion of the sprite sheet justin3009's CT hack is utilizing? Whatever the case, definitely be sure he gets a look at these, as it might save him some work. As I recall justin was basing his Schala sprites on Lucca's clothing and movements as well. While it might not be what some CT fans would expect (i.e., flowing dress), this sprite sheet holds many good-sense practical advantages, utilizing most or possibly all of Lucca's sprite assembly. What weapon are you planning on giving her?

Ah so I'm not the first to think of basing schala on lucca sprites (bummer) well tell this guy about mine and I'm giving her a dagger as a weapon I might test what a staff would look like as well I'll have those up when I'm finished.

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 07:38:26 am »

I suppose you're right but it'll take to darn long to modify everything, I'll give it a try but I don't think it's really worth it. Plus don't you think it would it be hard to run in a dress?

well.... I suppose... but, if it had a split down the side, one that is fairly invisible while walking or stading, you could use her stock positions, plus the extras you would need to make could be derived from them... inserting only a leg or something...

but hey, it's your thing don't let my ides hinder you.

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 08:23:34 am »

well.... I suppose... but, if it had a split down the side, one that is fairly invisible while walking or stading, you could use her stock positions, plus the extras you would need to make could be derived from them... inserting only a leg or something...

but hey, it's your thing don't let my ides hinder you.

I guess thats a thought

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 08:41:25 am »
Yes I saw these on DeviantArt awhile back.  I'm still tempted to hack Schala as playable...but I want to do that as the 8th character =[

OmniUnknown

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 12:36:14 pm »
Is it me, or does the skirt make her look younger...?

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 09:40:26 pm »
Is it me, or does the skirt make her look younger...?

It's prtly her height, partly her build... she's a little shorter and thinner... so that may be part of it... plus she just doesn't look as distinguished...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 11:18:19 pm »
There was some discussion about skirts earlier, and since I'm fascinated with character clothing, I thought I'd post these as examples of, er, sprite-skirts. Clearly Schala would need a redesign from her original sprite as she appears in Chrono Trigger, so I think it's perfectly understandable why RoxSilverFox and justin3009 went with the short skirt design -- for realism of mobility (not to mention practical sprite assembly concerns).

These are some examples to help visualize what Satoh was describing earlier, long skirts with side splits. Certainly something a sensible lady could deliver a roundhouse in.

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 12:48:10 am »
There was some discussion about skirts earlier, and since I'm fascinated with character clothing, I thought I'd post these as examples of, er, sprite-skirts. Clearly Schala would need a redesign from her original sprite as she appears in Chrono Trigger, so I think it's perfectly understandable why RoxSilverFox and justin3009 went with the short skirt design -- for realism of mobility (not to mention practical sprite assembly concerns).

These are some examples to help visualize what Satoh was describing earlier, long skirts with side splits. Certainly something a sensible lady could deliver a roundhouse in.

Yeah this is how I was thinking of having it I'll give it a try and see how it looks.

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 12:50:16 am »
Yes I saw these on DeviantArt awhile back.  I'm still tempted to hack Schala as playable...but I want to do that as the 8th character =[

It's not possible to put an 8th playable character in though is it?

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 12:52:05 am »

It's not possible to put an 8th playable character in though is it?

Probably not without more effort than it's worth... which I believe is why he hasn't done it yet...at least I think he hasn't....

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 12:58:26 am »
Justin, Mauron, and I worked on trying to get the 8th character to work.
8th Playable Character Possible?! (Updating!)