Author Topic: EGM's June 2008 Retro Issue (Guess What Game's Mentioned)  (Read 4858 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
EGM's June 2008 Retro Issue (Guess What Game's Mentioned)
« on: June 06, 2008, 04:55:43 pm »

In the June issue of EGM they go through a lot of 'retro' articles (by Jeremy Parish) including the best series re-imaginings (as in Super Metroid->Metroid Prime), series that were better off dead (as in Frogger->Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge), and going over some of the "True" sequels (meaning actual numbered sequels like Contra 4, Mother 3, etc)...BUT...

Missing In Action (all the way back at page 95) included his top 5 games he says fans would be thrilled to see sequels to...

5 - Strider - How can you NOT agree with this? Strider kicked ass and continued to kick ass in Marvel Vs Capcom.

4 - Road Rash - I never played it myself...but whatever, it's only one spot...

3 - Parasite Eve - He mentions the eventual cell phone release of The Third Birthday (hopefully a working title...>_>)...but you gotta agree that a new PE on current gen would be absolutely-a-fucking-mazing.

2 - Mega Man - He basically talks about a revival of the original series...I don't blame him, the blue bomber's been relegated to a elementary kid's Power Ranger (technically more VR Trooper) form and a NPC role in the Zero series (which I assume continues in the ZX series?)...It'd be nice to play as good ol' buster shooting, power stealing Megaman.

1 - Chrono Trigger - I'll quote directly from the article since this is what you opened this thread for...

Quote from: EGM's Jeremy Parish
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Trigger remains one of the most beloved role-playing games ever created thanks to its innovative storytelling and streamlined gameplay. Its follow-up, Chrono Cross, was more like a side story than a sequel, focusing on new characters and a minor plot point from Trigger. And since then-nothing. Well, almost nothing: Rumors circulated of a Square-held trademark for a "Chrono Break," which ignited speculation (it's a break in time! Or maybe a brake, like on a car?) until the trademark lapsed. These days, all the company does with the series is quash fan efforts to remake the original-and if they're going to all that trouble, why not put some effort into a sequel, too?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 11:49:46 pm by V_Translanka »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: EGM's June 2008 Retro Issue (Guess What Game's Mentioned)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 05:24:37 pm »
Wow, awesome! I'd like to suspect that EGM knows some inside information and this is an early hint, but then again their rumor mill was full of "FFVII REMAKE!! It's going to happen, and we know it!" a few years ago, and that never came to fruition.

It's good to know we're not the only ones yearning for more Chrono goodness. Thanks for sharing.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 06:31:25 pm »
C'mon, Square, we know the guys're busy (on crap that should be on the backburner to the Chrono series!)...but EVERY FUCKING TIME someone makes a list of "Games That Need Sequels", Chrono Trigger gets the top spot...and it's been THIRTEEN YEARS since it came out!!! Eight since the last installment!! Who are you fooling? Stop making ridiculous FF spin-offs (unless there's an actual FFT sequel in the works ;) )...stop trying to reinvigorate the Seiken Densetsu series...and just plain STOP and get your ass in gear for some Chrono luv.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 06:33:56 pm by V_Translanka »

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 06:32:57 pm »
I love how he mentioned the C&E for REsurrection. I remember getting PISSED when i heard about that...

HEERZ EN IDEYA GUYZ< WHUT IFF WE MAD A KNEW cRONO GAEM?

You have to admit, Rick comes up with some great ideas....

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 09:58:53 pm »
Yeah, good to know there was a slight plug in there for the huge Chrono fangame community.

Patchy

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 06:02:43 am »
I smile just seeing it mentioned. Good stuff.

Maybe, just maybe, they'll take the seirously large hint one of these days. I dont even think 'seirously large' is adequate. It's certainly passed the 'hint hint, nudge nudge' stage - it's probably somewhere closer to closed fist contact if not body checking and the such.

Oh Square.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 02:20:47 pm »
I'm amazed that we, the Chrono Fan Community, have made such an impact on Culture itself. Since I registered here, I've found it hard not to see something Chrono-related everywhere I go. I'm downright positive that Square has noticed us, (maybe even the Compendium itself) and knows that we want another game. As a matter of fat, all my Gil on an announcement for a new Chrono before 2010.

On another note, I went to a garage sale today, and I found the original Chrono Trigger cartridge for $15! So i of course accepted, and now I'm digging through my closet for my SNES.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 05:40:27 am »
Too bad EGM sucks.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 10:15:27 am »
Too bad EGM sucks.

I liked EGM when I was a kid.  Had a subscription for a while.  Then the internet came.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 10:18:38 am »
I stopped reading every gaming magazine when the Xbox and Gamecube hit shelves. Everything became filled with "Buy this console!" propoganda, and gaming magazines losed the feel that they were spreading gaming as an art form.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 09:31:10 am »
Most film magazines have "Buy this DVD!" advertisements in it too. Just the way things work.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 10:55:36 am »
Most film magazines have "Buy this DVD!" advertisements in it too. Just the way things work.

I get where you're coming from, but what i'm trying to say here is that gaming has turned into an all out war between Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony... Not to mention that gaming feels like a job these days.

Molotov

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • SDA Chrono Cross page.
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 02:50:22 pm »
I just feel the need to say that only one thing really matters (that I know of) in this specific issue, if I'm thinking of the right one: Splatterhouse. That series needed another sequel FAR more than any of those listed in the top 5, if you ask me.

Now, if they had said a sequel to Cross (or at least like it) instead, it might be a slight competition. Notice I said slight, since Splatterhouse is still much better.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 02:56:58 pm »
I just feel the need to say that only one thing really matters (that I know of) in this specific issue, if I'm thinking of the right one: Splatterhouse. That series needed another sequel FAR more than any of those listed in the top 5, if you ask me.

Now, if they had said a sequel to Cross (or at least like it) instead, it might be a slight competition. Notice I said slight, since Splatterhouse is still much better.

Well perhaps the fact that Splatterhouse IS getting another installment disqualified it from the list of games/series that still need another installment.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 08:21:44 pm »
Oh Splatterhouse... I remember thinking (as a kid) that there was nothing more offensive and foul.