Author Topic: 1/8/05 - Which games have you played and in what order?  (Read 4735 times)

Dunsparce

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
1/8/05 - Which games have you played and in what order?
« on: January 02, 2005, 02:09:29 pm »
I first found Chrono Cross at a video game rental, and after renting it for a few weeks, I bought it from a used game store. Than Near the end of Last Summer, I bought Final Fantasy Chronoicles (Greatest Hits Edition). I also have Read Zeality's Radical Dreamers Script. Twice.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 02:11:34 pm »
I played Chrono Trigger when it came out for SNES, then Chrono Cross when it came out for PS, then Radical Dreamers when it was translated.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 03:07:01 pm »
That's about the most complete you could be. I believe Chickenlump also played Trigger as soon as it came out, since he spent a long time looking for Schala after beating it.

I think Ramsus bought Chrono Cross when it came out, but I'm not 100%.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 04:34:47 pm »
I played Chrono Trigger when it was released for SNES (I had to import). Then I played Chrono Cross in Japanese when it came out (I understood nothing of the story...), then I replayed it when it came out in America (I still didn't understand the story on my first playthrough...), and finally Radical Dreamers when it was translated. I'm still looking forward to playing the "new game+" RD scenarios though.

Jasson Knight

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lunaescence.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 07:36:08 pm »
I played Chrono Trigger when it first came out for SNES, spent forever trying to find Schala too.  lol  I was convinced she was somewhere on the Black Omen, so I ended up ramming my characters into every wall looking for secret rooms.

I got Chrono Cross the fall of 2000 after being told by a friend that a sequel to Chrono Trigger had been released.

And finally I recently began playing the translated version of Radical Dreamers at a friend's house, though I haven't finished.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005, 08:26:09 pm »
Well, I guess you could be more complete if you played the Japanese versions as soon as they came out, including RD off of Satellaview.

Wow, I just realized a very wierd piece of information about my playing the series: I've owned two copies of CT (I sold the first one thinking I'd played it out), two copies of CC (I loaned the first to a friend and never got it back), and have downloaded two ROMs of RD (the first was the Japanese version pre-translation. I didn't get very far. After it was translated I downloaded a second ROM because I was on a new computer). So, if SE makes another installment, they can probably count on me buying two copies somewhere along the line.

Wait! Lucca was in Xenogears, and I've owned two copies of that (the first crapped out on me)! Okay, actually, four copies have been in my ownership, but two of them were faulty from the start and I returned them within warranty; I've only bought two. This is freaky...

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 09:46:04 pm »
I played CT back on the SNES after seeing a mini-walkthrough in an issue of Nintendo Power and I still have my original copy of it, although it doesn't seem to want to work on - not sure if that's my copy or my SNES not cooperating.

I played CC after reading about a sequel in some PS magazine. I can remember waiting a couple of months in anticipation and I went down to a local game store several days in advance to see if they had gotten any copies in yet.

I've yet to play RD. Not sure why - I'd jump on a new Chrono game in a second, but I don't really feel a strong compulsion to play RD. Maybe it because it's that I've never heard anyone rave about it or maybe it's because it's not a solid part of the storyline. I dunno. Maybe one of these days when I have more time on my hands, I'll give it a try.

Arc Impulse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://duelist.livejournal.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2005, 10:45:09 pm »
I first played Chrono Trigger not long after it came out in English in '95, I think maybe a month or two.  I still have my game cart, box, posters, manual, and official Nintendo Power player's guide, though they're all a bit ragged around the edges by now.

I played Chrono Cross not too long after it came out in English, but the specifics have vanished from my brain on account of my utter apathy for the subject.

I think I first played the Japanese version of Radical Dreamers after Chrono Cross, though I'm not completely sure on that.  At any rate, I didn't beat the game until Demiforce's English version came out, and then I played through that.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 07:31:11 pm »
*Is sad that he wasn't around for the first polling dealy-bopper*

I played Chrono Trigger (SNES) a little while after it came out. Ah, I remember it fondly...I got a used copy for my birthday from...someone (it's not the person, but the gift...or thought...that counts, right?)...because I liked FFVI (then known to me as FFIII) so much. When I plugged that bad-boy in for the first time, I was greatly dissapointed that it wasn't a duplicate of FFVI. The graphics were different (later on I would come to realize they were, in fact, better!...stupid me.). After a very short while though, I got hooked. To this day it constantly competes in my Top RPG of all time (along with FFVI & FFT).

Then, when Chrono Cross came out (low-and-behold, right around my birthday [Sept 13]), I scooped it up. Again I was initially let down somewhat, this time at the vast number of characters and stunning lack of character development which I hadn't come to associate with the Chrono series thusfar...The storyline was a little rough, but altogether it was a nice piece of work...Although I hardly play it (and thusly am normally of no help here at the Compendium when it comes up in discussions), I still look at it as a really good game that can easily compete with the most average of them.

Later (I'm fairly sure this happened first) Square re-released (and tacked on some add-ons) Chrono Trigger for the PSX in FFChronicles (with FFIV-bonus!) and I got that. Still the same amazing game I still have on SNES, only with a few anime cut-scenes...Most of which I'm okay with...But I don't like how Glenn looks...or Magus for that matter...and Crono looks older and more Goku-ish...But whatever, saves me from crying over a dead SNES cart save battery, right?

Then I came to realize that we in NA were jipped from the original sequal to Chrono Trigger, Radical Dreamers! After being a little dissapointed with Chrono Cross, I was immediately happy. I had just gotten into ROMs by then, so I figured I'd hunt it down and even learn how to patch a translation if I had to...DISMAY! No such luck...No English Translation patch to be found...The ROM itself a near ghost in the shell on the internet...So I waited...And my savior appeared in the form of Neo Demiforce, whom I learned was just finishing up his translation patch of Radical Dreamers! Wh00t! I won. I played the game, loved the super-duper old school feel (I imagined a lot of Japanese kids playing these kinds of games back in the day...weird-ohs!) and the fact that Serge isn't just a walking-talking-monster-killin-machine, but he's also well developed! And Magus is back! It was like all my wishes had actually come true, but I just wasn't speaking the right language to understand that they had. For a 30-minute romp, I say to all fans: Play it up, it's worth it...and more!

Tack on that I once renamed Ramza in FFT Crono then bumped off everyone in my party and hired new characters named after CT characters. Marle was a White Mage...Lucca was a Black Mage...Frog was a Knight...I think Robo was a Lancer...Ayla was..hmm...was she a Monk? And I think Magus was an Oracle or maybe a Time Mage...It was cool either way...I'm currently doing the same thing only with the characters from my fanfic (I can whore it up anywheres!)!

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 02:02:05 am »
This is a little weird.  I got Chrono Trigger by complete chance.  When I was four-ish, I was with my mom at some store.  We were walking past the SNES section, when the CT box caught my mom's eye.  The first thing she said was that the art was drawn by the animator of DBZ.  Now, you've got to realize that we had just moved from Japan to the States, and my mom loved anything Japan-related.  So, she bought the game and the strategy guide.  She didn't let me play it, since she said I was too young.  We then forgot about the game until about three years ago.  I was looking for SNES games to play, and out popped out CT!  I remembered buying it and secretly playing it once in a while, so I put it in the SNES and started it up.  I was immediately hooked, and just blazed through it (many, many times).  I've recently begun playing tid-bits of CC at a friend's house.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 06:00:49 pm »
Rented the S.N.E.S. version of C.T., and kept renting until I beat it. Got Chrono Cross soon after it came out. The first time I played it, I hated it for not being Chrono Trigger 2. Then I played it again and enjoyed it for being Chrono Cross. Got Chrono Trigger for the PSX the day it came out (I didn't actually stop moving until I got to the check out stand) and played RD once briefly before it was patches, then got 6/7 endings when it was.

sarua

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2005, 05:49:21 am »
First one was chrono triger on psx also after some time and on snes :) second was chrono cross on psx and after that i downloaded rd jp version, after few minutes deleted it and thats all

CrAzY

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 09:41:37 am »
strange I was just at Gamefaqs and saw this same topic  :P  too bad I was kicked out of their message boards :( anyway here we go

1.Chrono Trigger - 1999

2.Chrono Cross - 2001

3. Radical Dreamers - Yesterday  :P  and I didnt even beat it yet, I find it....strange, and the things that happen between kid and your main character (forgot his name  :P ) are funny! lol  :P

Andrelvis

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2005, 03:46:25 pm »
The main character in RD is Serge ;)

Hiroshino

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2005, 09:22:26 pm »
When I first played Chrono Trigger, I had never owned the game. A close friend of mine (at the time he was an acquaintance) had gotten Chrono Trigger off of a friend of his who had gotten it from some guy. So the guy sold it to my friend's friend or gave it to him, then he either gives/sells/trades it to my friend. Him and his group of friends played it at this one guy's place and I was lucky just to come in and watch. Chrono Trigger looked like a really cool game but eventually I was banned from coming over because I acted hyper a lot back then. Later on (weeks or months), I was able to actually borrow CT but the dude who lived at the place where I used to watch it being played at wouldn't let me borrow it most of the time and I had to get my friend to have him let me borrow it. So eventually, over the sequence of months of borrowing the game and the many files that were saved, erased, and copied and such....eventually, I bought the game off of my friend for 40 dollars and had it until it was stolen this year.

When I had played Chrono Cross, it was probably months and months after I had discovered Chrono Trigger, or at least somewhere around that time. The same friend who had Chrono Trigger, had Chrono Cross. I didn't get to play it a lot at first but eventually I was borrowing it and such and getting to know more about the game. About two years ago, that game was also stolen and I had bought a new one earlier last year until it was stolen at a later time last year.

Unfortunately, I have never played Radical Dreamers.

I swear though, one of these days I'm downloading all the Chrono games so I can enjoy them again.