Poll

If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?

Eliminate all the funny accents.
6 (3.7%)
Increase the game's difficulty.
9 (5.5%)
Give Zoah some clothes.
4 (2.4%)
Totally different battle system -- return to ye olde Active Time Battle System days!
9 (5.5%)
Fewer playable characters altogether -- a Final Fantasy VI-size roster can produce just the right balance between variety and character development.
40 (24.4%)
MORE cute comic relief characters -- the story's too depressing as it is!
3 (1.8%)
Greater involvement from the CT crew -- especially Crono, Marle, Lucca, Magus, and Robo.
45 (27.4%)
Make one or more of the following characters playable: Dario, Belthasar, Miguel, Garai, the small Fire Dragon, other (please specify).
6 (3.7%)
Better explain the underlying story using Compendium theory, and in a way that isn't so esoteric and cramped into the last minutes of the game.
23 (14%)
OTHER! (Please post what!)
19 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Author Topic: If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?  (Read 79392 times)

VincentGAU8

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Toma The Explorer!! TOMA!!!
    • View Profile
Re: If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2008, 01:28:14 am »
If people would read my posts for once...

Why do you feel that no one reads your posts?

I read it.. and believe me, i share the same sentiments..

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2008, 11:50:53 am »
Haha, I was simply stating that my post was overlooked by most people, and that you guys were talking about the exact same thing.

Didn't mean anything by it.

Zaulche

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2008, 07:28:45 pm »
Ah, understood. Be rest assured that I read everyone's post, which is why I am still only half way through the File Exploration thread. :)

I just noticed that you have posted something about people not reading your posts in several threads, which is why I was asking about it. Maybe it just takes time for the ideas you present to really sink in.

Specter

• Porrean (+50)
  • Aphotic Fortissimo
    • View Profile
    • http://specter.sheezyart.com
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2008, 07:58:33 pm »
My vote goes to the CT Crew, although Ye Olde Battle System is a close second (who doesn't love double and tripple Techs, am I right?), with Smaller Roster placing in at third.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2008, 11:32:34 pm »
I put the less playable characters.  Although the thing with Trigger was that there are few characters, but they are all good. 

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2008, 09:46:09 pm »
Thanks again for all the input everyone!

Something I'm now pondering -- overworld enemy encounters are probably perfectly doable in Cross, unlike in Trigger. In fact, it's already been done with the Robo Duckies in the Dead Sea overworld map IIRC. So question -- are enemies roaming El Nido something everybody would like to see?

Lee

• Porrean (+50)
  • Harle fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Ocean Pie
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2008, 09:56:28 pm »
Other : Reinsert the experience system, so farewell Star levels.
I really like Cross battle system so I would not change anything about it.

Of course, more background for the characters who are not called Serge, Kid, Lynx or Harle would be wonderful.

One thing I can't tell if I'd change it for Chrono Cross or another Chrono game is about the main character. I don't know if that "silent protagonist tradition" is a good thing or not.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2008, 10:23:21 pm »
Yeah I love the Cross battle system.  I always hated the whole run into a random battle by taking one step thing like in Final fantasy.  I saw the battle system for tails of symphonia and it's kind of like Chrono cross.  At the time I hadn't played  cross so I thought the system was strange.  But once I played Cross, I couldn't believe I'd gotten used to the random battle system. 
    I've never really minded the silent main character thing.  In some ways it's better to have a talking one, but I don't really care.  For one thing it's fun to make jokes about the silent ones. :)

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2008, 08:32:09 am »
Here's a good opinion. Considering we're giving Serge the character and personality he had in RD, then the whole adventure will be a bit storybook-ish (which I personally like a lot xD). I dunno, I feel that Chrono Cross will have even MORE of a feel than the old opera style FF6. Why not give most of the narrations in RD style? XD Not only that, his point of view can even deepen several other characters' personalities and sort.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2008, 12:27:32 pm »
Why turn him it to RD Serge, am I alone in not like him? He was just too goofy and childish. Plus he looked like he was wearing pajamas.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2008, 12:31:24 pm »
In Chrono Cross: The Darkness Beyond Time, Serge will be awesome. I think the major thrust of tushantin's suggestion was that we allow the player to "get into Serge's mind" more, which is doable without necessarily giving him the same personality (and pajamas) that he had in Radical Dreamers.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2008, 04:21:07 pm »
I've never played RD mainly for two things.  One, I don't speak Japanese.  Two, It's a lot more expensive when you have to import it.  If I ever manage to get around those things, I'm definitely buying it.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2008, 04:53:19 pm »
Only way to play RD in English at the moment is to find a ROM and use the Demiforce translation patch on it. The Demiforce translation was superb.

x_XTacTX_x

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2008, 11:29:48 pm »
Faustwolf, for Darkness Beyond Time, are you planning on dressing Serge differently? I would love to take the task of designing a new Serge. With the hacking talent of most users here, anything could be accomplished.

Speak of the devil, here's a recording of me drawing Serge I uploaded to youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gntoo_PIGw
I seem to draw him too much...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2008, 11:50:54 pm »
I wasn't considering redressing Serge, though I'm toying with the idea of Kid-viewpoint scene in which Karsh is wandering around Another World's Arni Village with a drawing of Serge and asking people if they've seen him, Terminator 2 style. I think a closeup of the drawing could be pulled off by making the drawing itself a "pre-rendered background," and having the game load it as it would a normal room. Would you like to do the sketching honors?