Poll

If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?

Eliminate all the funny accents.
6 (3.7%)
Increase the game's difficulty.
9 (5.5%)
Give Zoah some clothes.
4 (2.4%)
Totally different battle system -- return to ye olde Active Time Battle System days!
9 (5.5%)
Fewer playable characters altogether -- a Final Fantasy VI-size roster can produce just the right balance between variety and character development.
40 (24.4%)
MORE cute comic relief characters -- the story's too depressing as it is!
3 (1.8%)
Greater involvement from the CT crew -- especially Crono, Marle, Lucca, Magus, and Robo.
45 (27.4%)
Make one or more of the following characters playable: Dario, Belthasar, Miguel, Garai, the small Fire Dragon, other (please specify).
6 (3.7%)
Better explain the underlying story using Compendium theory, and in a way that isn't so esoteric and cramped into the last minutes of the game.
23 (14%)
OTHER! (Please post what!)
19 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Author Topic: If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?  (Read 79384 times)

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Re: If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?
« Reply #300 on: April 26, 2011, 04:11:44 am »
And the fact that people tend to be more interested in scarce thing.

That is why so many people research the fate of Magus in Chrono Cross even though he never made an appearance.  :?

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #301 on: April 26, 2011, 04:19:19 am »
That is why so many people research the fate of Magus in Chrono Cross even though he never made an appearance.  :?

That's because Magus has always been too popular for his own good  :P

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 26, 2011, 04:41:46 am »
Hmm, wrong example. Deleted.

:P

Nocturne

• Iokan (+1)
  • Squee!
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Wonderland: Alice Liddell's FanPage.
« Reply #303 on: June 02, 2011, 11:01:06 am »

That's because Magus has always been too popular for his own good  :P
^ This xD

Also the fact they cut Guile from being Magus from the game. There were just far too many characters that I personally feel they didn't know what to do with. If they cut them to 10-14 characters, tops, I think they would have had a more clear, concise story that would have had more involvement with the CT group.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 10, 2011, 01:02:57 pm »
I voted for less characters, but I also think the plot could stand to be a lot more concise. Biggest change I can think of right now is just making the Frozen Flame and Dreamstone the same thing. There was plenty of set up for it in Trigger and RD, and you can even say that Dreamstone was sent down by Lavos, there was no need to be so convoluted and retcon-y (Ayla's brain is now the size of a walnut according to Cross) about it.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 10, 2011, 10:41:57 pm »
I voted for less characters, but I also think the plot could stand to be a lot more concise. Biggest change I can think of right now is just making the Frozen Flame and Dreamstone the same thing. There was plenty of set up for it in Trigger and RD, and you can even say that Dreamstone was sent down by Lavos, there was no need to be so convoluted and retcon-y (Ayla's brain is now the size of a walnut according to Cross) about it.

Very good point. It could even be like there's a ( ...I want to say 'Bloomin Onion' but for the sake of making sense: ) "fruit" of Dreamstone, and the Frozen Flame is the pit.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 10, 2011, 11:52:54 pm »
Dreamstone is also pretty versatile, as seen in all the stuff made with it, but it also probably can change over time...

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 04, 2017, 03:29:21 am »
For me, I personally would give the game a total overhaul. First would be some more links to Chrono Trigger, as CC feels like a 3rd party game with some last minute translated words to link it to CT just to ride on its coat tails and sell some more copies.

The amount of playable characters, of course, too high. Their speeches seem canned at times, its like whoever wrote CT wrote out scripts on the basis of X event with Y character, whereas CC felt like they tossed in "good job person" all the time. You couldn't have a proper character interaction based on who you had...there would be ten thousand scripts. Think of the permutations!

And critically, cohesion. Not just with CT but with itself. There's so much left unknown, the only link to this game really was Radical Dreamers, its more like CC was a sequel to it and yet no one played it outside japan (and RD itself I found tedious, I finished it soley caise i love CT). Somewhere in the studio someone wrote a whole universe story and used most of it for CC. thats the feeling i get. like how futurama had the whole timeline theorized before making an episode. I feel like the guy who had the final say in CC looked at the WHOLE chronoverse and approved off on CC, leaving out one or two facts on the basis "it makes sense" yet WE didnt see it all so it doesnt make sense to us. Were you holding out for one more sequel? If so, make it! Kato, help us out here!

Nangbaby

• Porrean (+50)
  • Frankenspriter at Large
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 04, 2017, 08:52:15 am »
Ugh, I accidentally hit the wrong option.

My vote  was intended to be for too many playable characters and I LIKE playable characters. Due to the battle syatem, I can understand the need for a larger than usual cast, but after going through the game a few times to catch them all, I have not even played this game on over a decade.

Making the Chrono Cross a little more obvious to get would be a runner-up.

Cherenkov

• Architect of Kajar
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 04, 2017, 02:20:01 pm »
Use Akira Toriyama's art.

froodo

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #310 on: December 05, 2017, 05:10:19 pm »

I think this is the best feature of the game: not having Akira's art avoids unfair comparison with Dragon Ball

Nangbaby

• Porrean (+50)
  • Frankenspriter at Large
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 06, 2017, 08:00:03 pm »
Without either Toriyama or a clone of his style, there is a distinct lack of visual cohesion between Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. That makes it harder to treat the latter game as a sequel.

Cherenkov

• Architect of Kajar
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 06, 2017, 08:01:27 pm »
^Agreed with Nangbaby

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #313 on: April 28, 2018, 07:37:44 pm »

I think this is the best feature of the game: not having Akira's art avoids unfair comparison with Dragon Ball

Doesn't really happen w/Dragon Quest at all...and to me the only time it really happened with CT was those lousy anime cut scenes (that Toriyama didn't even do) that randomly changed Crono's build to more match Goku (and don't get me started on what they did w/Glenn's awesome long hair!)...

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 02, 2018, 02:39:04 am »
Another thought I had was that while CT gets widely confusing at parts but the end sort of solves it and brings it in (for the most part of its story), CC sorta leaves it confusing and open, beginning middle and end, like I'm not terribly sure what the whole plot is even now, I get the jist of what you do in the game but its left SO far wide open like its expected to have a hundred sequels and side projects.