Poll

If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?

Eliminate all the funny accents.
6 (3.7%)
Increase the game's difficulty.
9 (5.5%)
Give Zoah some clothes.
4 (2.4%)
Totally different battle system -- return to ye olde Active Time Battle System days!
9 (5.5%)
Fewer playable characters altogether -- a Final Fantasy VI-size roster can produce just the right balance between variety and character development.
40 (24.4%)
MORE cute comic relief characters -- the story's too depressing as it is!
3 (1.8%)
Greater involvement from the CT crew -- especially Crono, Marle, Lucca, Magus, and Robo.
45 (27.4%)
Make one or more of the following characters playable: Dario, Belthasar, Miguel, Garai, the small Fire Dragon, other (please specify).
6 (3.7%)
Better explain the underlying story using Compendium theory, and in a way that isn't so esoteric and cramped into the last minutes of the game.
23 (14%)
OTHER! (Please post what!)
19 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Author Topic: If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?  (Read 80293 times)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?
« Reply #255 on: April 05, 2009, 12:05:28 pm »
One of my pet peeves is the naming system. You talk to Poshul and it tells you it's Poshul. Then, Poshul joins yer party and you can name her whatever within the six character limit. Same with a whole lot of other characters. Like Guile. He tells you his name is Guile, then you name him whatever. What I think would be cool is if they didn't tell you the name until after you got them or they were ungettable. Like after the Viper Manor thing, you can't get Guile to my knowledge. Then he can say he's Guile.

Or do it like CT: Naming screen just before the first time the name is said.

Although I think it would make it like FFVI: You name person, and you know he/she will definitely join your party, no matter how apart the two events are.

Bohepans

• Porrean (+50)
  • I oft feel I actually am split into two people...
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 05, 2009, 08:19:10 pm »
Although I think it would make it like FFVI: You name person, and you know he/she will definitely join your party, no matter how apart the two events are.
Like with Shadow? Heh.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 29, 2009, 04:03:21 am »
CC Imo was almost a perfect game, but ways to make it better:

1: remove the unnecessary characters, like Funguy, Turnip and Mojo.  a list of 10 to 15 characters would have been fine.
2: Harle would either: Not leave, or rejoin your party later, without use of the CC.
3: Guile would have been Magus, still.
4: Change the so-called "Good Ending".  I enjoy all of the other (serious) endings, including the bad one, more than that one.
5: Maybe a bit more backstory, and more in-depth explanation of the Rad Dreamers, rather than them just being some infamous "band of theives" that is mentioned once in the game.
6: More dual/triple techs.

I really never found any dual techs or triple techs on my own in the game

Crono as Glenn

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 18, 2009, 11:46:34 pm »
More Trigger ppl...

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 19, 2009, 12:09:30 am »
1: remove the unnecessary characters, like Funguy, Turnip and Mojo.  a list of 10 to 15 characters would have been fine.

Why do you guys bother those characters. Most of them are optional, you can just leave them alone if you don't want to recruit them.
For a game has new game+, collectable elements are necessary.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:48:42 am by utunnels »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #260 on: May 19, 2009, 07:05:10 am »
It's not like people start off playing the game with a list in front of them stating who they should or should not recruit due to bad or little character development/personality. It shouldn't be the gamer's responsibility to get the characters that don't suck...especially when this problem persists for over half of said cast.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 19, 2009, 12:15:30 pm »
The only reason I got those characters intentionally was so I could fill my character list.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #262 on: May 19, 2009, 12:50:24 pm »
On a semi-related note, what is the fewest number of characters you can have? I mean, if so many possible characters is annoying and you can avoid getting a crapload of 'em on your next playthrough, why not just avoid them altogether?

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 19, 2009, 12:51:50 pm »
On a semi-related note, what is the fewest number of characters you can have? I mean, if so many possible characters is annoying and you can avoid getting a crapload of 'em on your next playthrough, why not just avoid them altogether?

thats an interesting thought....
its kinda like a reverse 100%, or a speedrun, or something like that.

But a more interesting way and better way to put it would be what is the fewest number of annoying characters you can get =D

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 25, 2009, 05:29:22 pm »
Funny thing about Chrono Cross is, it doesn't matter who you have in your party. At any point in the game, you can have whoever your want as party members. Ofcourse you still need to have Serge/Lynx, and you can only pick out of the characters you recruited, but besides that it's entirely up to you. You don't even need Kid. There is no point in the game where you need to have her in the party to be able to beat the game.

Ofcourse, to do all sidequests and whatever, you still need specific characters, but for just beating the game you can pick whoever the hell you want. Characters that are necessary in cutscenes will automatically pop up if they're not in your party.

Anyway, what I would change about Cross? Make Serge talk. And make him have an attitude. Yeah, f*ck you Leena, go get your damn scales yourself.

CelestialPhantasm

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 10, 2009, 09:58:08 pm »
Funny thing about Chrono Cross is, it doesn't matter who you have in your party. At any point in the game, you can have whoever your want as party members. Ofcourse you still need to have Serge/Lynx, and you can only pick out of the characters you recruited, but besides that it's entirely up to you. You don't even need Kid. There is no point in the game where you need to have her in the party to be able to beat the game.

Ofcourse, to do all sidequests and whatever, you still need specific characters, but for just beating the game you can pick whoever the hell you want. Characters that are necessary in cutscenes will automatically pop up if they're not in your party.

Anyway, what I would change about Cross? Make Serge talk. And make him have an attitude. Yeah, f*ck you Leena, go get your damn scales yourself.

but then Dark Serge wouldn't be as interesting.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #266 on: July 14, 2009, 10:28:31 pm »
Funny thing about Chrono Cross is, it doesn't matter who you have in your party. At any point in the game, you can have whoever your want as party members. Ofcourse you still need to have Serge/Lynx, and you can only pick out of the characters you recruited, but besides that it's entirely up to you.

Except for the time when you're Lynx where you can't have any of your previously recruited party members. I also found it impossible to recruit either Dario or the Sage of Marbule!

You don't even need Kid. There is no point in the game where you need to have her in the party to be able to beat the game.

I'm pretty sure she forces her way in your party during the infiltration of Viper Manor.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #267 on: July 14, 2009, 10:47:24 pm »
I voted for other, as in, "How about some damn side quests?" And no, the 46 characters do not count.

CelestialPhantasm

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 16, 2009, 08:34:51 am »
The Marbule concert is a side quest, as well as the search for Dario and the background of him and Karsh... there are a lot of smaller events that expand on the background and development of the characters, many of which are necessary to power up said characters (such as the giving of the replica sword to Pierre)  There's so much in Chrono Cross that's optional... even the battle with the Criosphynx- although that's necessary to get the good ending.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #269 on: July 16, 2009, 12:37:43 pm »
You've got Marbule, Dario, the Bend of Time and Criosphynx. The rest of them are related to getting one of the 46 characters or their level 7 techs.

The reason I don't include those is mainly because most of them entail getting the Another World and Home World versions to interact with each other, or going to X place of X world at X point in the game and interacting with X object there.

Ok, maybe it's not so much "side quests" as it is side dungeons or side bosses that I'm after. CT had plenty of them, and that's one of the things that made it as awesome as it was.