Author Topic: Chrono Trigger PSX Videos  (Read 1014 times)

radicalblues

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Guardian (+100)
  • It's not easy being green
    • View Profile
    • X Radical Dreamers
Chrono Trigger PSX Videos
« on: May 23, 2008, 05:49:09 am »
I'm looking for a good rip of Chrono Trigger PSX videos, one with the BEST QUALITY POSSIBLE, so I can capture image and whatnot.

I have them actually in 3 avi videos I got long time ago: opening (26mb), events (22mb) and ending (11mb), but the size is really small and pixelated. I'm looking for a pro rip.

I even own the japanese version of CT for PSX but have no idea or time on how to make a good rip =X and probably there is already a good one out there, so, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

Edit: Oh yes <.< please don't mention Blue Laguna... these rips are worse quality than the ones I have.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 11:38:49 pm by radicalblues »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Chrono Trigger PSX Videos
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 12:51:37 pm »
xD Why not rip em yourself? If you've got the PSX CD then just insert it. I've heard about a Final Fantasy FMV ripper of sort that allows you to rip FMV and it can also be used with CT and CC. XP

radicalblues

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • X Radical Dreamers
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 01:52:59 pm »
Well, that's a possibility, but I sort of always ruin stuff when ripping. :x
If anyone has a good rip program or the videos themselves I'd be grateful. 8)

Patchy

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 02:02:42 am »
Have you tried this? http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Extracting_Cutscenes.html

I may give it a whirl this week if I have time. Im curious to see what quality they would be. If you're looking for serious quality you'll definitely pay for it in HDD space, but that stuff is dirt cheap these days so we shouldn't have too much to worry about :D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 02:04:32 am by Patchy »

radicalblues

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • X Radical Dreamers
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 05:23:01 am »
The Compendium is so vast that it's easy to overlook things like that, thanks Patchy.
Well, news on the experiment.

What was ripped using PsxMC v3.23:
- Chrono Trigger from Final Fantasy Chronicles
- Chrono Trigger japanese PSX version

Results:
- FFC disc spit up 352 MB in 12 videos, the ending video and the extra fall of Guardia video are repeated, duplicates adding english subtitles.
- Japanese disc also spit up 352 MB in 12 videos, the same ones are repeated, only with japanese subtitles. For some eerie reason, PsxMC seemed to encode my japanese disc in slightly less pixelated quality.

Problems:
- PsxMC v3.23 has kinda poor encoding. Makes files too heavy (not so important) and makes it on very small base resolution, pixelating the videos when stretching them up. I'm comparing the stretch to how pixelated the videos look in my regular TV. One could use a better encoding.

Pictures:
-The ripped quality works fairly good for creating smaller imagery such as avatars, signatures, website portraits, etc:

- On stretched images it looks fairly well, but still pixelated (mostly on dark colors). I stretched the video maybe a little too much just to make it more obvious. This is to illustrate the image does look more pixelated compared to when playing the game for real, meaning the encoding could be better. Click:
http://www.xradicaldreamers.net/chronopolis/chronotest.jpg

Feedback is appreciated, maybe there is a better way to encode them =x
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 05:26:38 am by radicalblues »

Patchy

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 12:14:53 pm »
Hehe, yeah, I actually stumbled upon that page I linked previously while perusing google to do this very thing  :lol:

Its a shame it didn't work out though. Thanks for your quick notes on the process though, I'm going to go ahead and do it myself because you raise a good point about the quality for use in signatures/avatars/etc. As for a higher quality rip, I've hit a slump right now - this isn't what I do.

I'm going to talk to some friends who do multimedia-like stuff and see if they have any tricks up their sleeves.