Author Topic: What is Anti-Annihilation Energy?  (Read 13621 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: What is Anti-Annihilation Energy?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 04:09:56 pm »
Comment on something I'm more familiar with and wont have to research before I can intelligibly respond ;)

I'm not very familiar with cosmic string, so it is hard to respond until I learn more. But I do fully plan on responding.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 05:04:28 pm »

Well, a lot of what I saw in theory article for AAE were things I weren't familiar with.

Besides, a lot of basic things about Cosmic String were in my post, so one wouldn't have to more research than necessary to post a good resopnse.  But hey!  The more researched, the better.

Arakial

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 03:49:31 pm »

Time is a massless and spaceless dimension, and therefore cannot possibly be AAE.
In the early 1900s, Minkowski and Einstein found that space and time are interchangeable and replaced them with spacetime for rigorous scientific purposes.
Time and Space are inextricable. Rethink your argument.

As for the massless portion, my argument is a little fuzzy (and I may relent on this, but...) and uses indirect argumentation via the relation e=mc^2--that is, mass is extremeley dense energy--which what elasticity is, energy. As well as the spacetime relation and, the theoretical or 'fuzzy' part, that spacetime is observed to be consisted of of quanta(a quantum is a discrete unit of energy)--http://www.johnkharms.com/space.htm

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 11:25:28 am »
(Okay, I did read the rest of the topic, so I'm not claiming that my topic is in any way true. I'm not even remotely suggesting it.)

When I watched the CE play through, I noticed that "anti-annihilation energy' was used when combating the Mammon Machine. The Mammon Machine is basically a channeler for Lavos' power (annihilation energy), and for some reason the AAE would stop it.

So, AAE meets AE? I assumed that AAE was some sort of 'opposite' power to Lavos' own, but equal in strength...like how magic works in Baten Kaitos. You have your 50-point flame armor, and someone shoots you with a 50-point ice attack. The attack completely vanishes. Of course, if it were a 5--point ice attack, it would do 1 damage.

So the AAE negates AE somehow--perhaps it's not necessarily 'anti-destruction' or 'creation' energy, but just a different type of destruction.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 05:42:12 pm »
So the AAE negates AE somehow--perhaps it's not necessarily 'anti-destruction' or 'creation' energy, but just a different type of destruction.

Well, matter cannot be created or destroyed.  I mean, at the molecular level, of course, so to me, AE is a bit of a misnomer in the idea of it actually "annihilating" energy. I would say this is more of a case of dispersing and dissipating energy.

In the case of your scenario (hitting fire armor with an ice attack), it would apply as such.  the ice attack not so much gets annihilated, but dispersed like it was hitting an impenetrable wall.  After all, just as fire cannot be sustained in open air without a solid or liquid fuel source, so too will ice dissipate in a matter of seconds.  Hope that helps.

I still believe, based on my theory anyways, that AAE is Cosmic String.

Infinitus

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 02:38:40 pm »
Hmm, when a particle and anti-particle pair collide, the process is called annihilation. But the inverse is not anti-annihilation; the correct term is simply pair production.
Still, if I recall correctly some physicists refer to an "anti-annihilation" arrangement in an experiment if this experiment is prepared in such a way as to avoid the annihilation between particles and their antiparticle. But I'm not sure this is a common accepted term.
So I think the Chronopolis scientists are only using the Frozen Flame to power an experiment where particles and anti-particles can be created, but must separated to avoid annihilation.

tjbk_tjb

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 01:52:45 am »
First, some physics that you may know. Entropy is a property of any physical system that can be thought of as how ordered that system is. The second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of a closed system (e.g. a universe) always increases or stays the same over time. More plainly, it states that any ordered system (e.g. a building) will decay into a disordered system (e.g. a pile of rubble). Since it can't decrease, one can define the flow of time by the increase in entropy. Now, there are far more disordered states than ordered states, so any chance change to a system is more likely to increase entropy than decrease entropy.

Now, from what I've read in this thread, anti-annihilation energy can practically stop time, though movement and such are possible. I would like to claim that anti-annihilation energy can be used to manipulate probability in such a fashion that random changes that cause disorder are balanced out by changes that cause order.

Does that make sense?

Arakial

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 07:32:25 pm »
First, some physics that you may know. Entropy is a property of any physical system that can be thought of as how ordered that system is. The second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of a closed system (e.g. a universe) always increases or stays the same over time. More plainly, it states that any ordered system (e.g. a building) will decay into a disordered system (e.g. a pile of rubble). Since it can't decrease, one can define the flow of time by the increase in entropy. Now, there are far more disordered states than ordered states, so any chance change to a system is more likely to increase entropy than decrease entropy.

Now, from what I've read in this thread, anti-annihilation energy can practically stop time, though movement and such are possible. I would like to claim that anti-annihilation energy can be used to manipulate probability in such a fashion that random changes that cause disorder are balanced out by changes that cause order.

Does that make sense?
Yes and no--yes that I understand the physics, no in the sense that entropy can be decreased insofar as it is increased elsewhere in this closed system, the Chronoverse. Further, standard 'vanilla' energy can be used to do this; no AA energy is required.

An interesting concept came to mind. What if entropy were to behave differently in the Chronoverse? In that, what if it is, in addition to being able to decrease entropy by increasing entropy elsewhere, it is able to decrease entropy by increasing it 'elsewhen'? An interesting concept, indeed! Alas, I've not much to elaborate right now.. so that'll have to do for now.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 07:18:19 pm »

The only way to decrease the entropy of an energy source is to lower its temperature as per the 3rd Law of Thermodynamics ("As temperature approaches absolute zero, the entropy of a system approaches a constant minimum").  Even so, it is impossible to obtain absolute zero, which this law implies.

You know, now that I think about, my Cosmic String theory concerning AAE may come in violation with the 3rd LoT... no, wait!  It doesn't.  I remember my old post.

The Zealian scientists would've simply had to keep the FF in a constant state of subzero temperatures (at least -200 degrees Fahrenheit) in order to maximize the energy conversion potential of the AAE.  Hey, if they can build the Mammon Machine, they could certainly find a way to keep the FF in a subzero environment.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2018, 03:00:13 am »
Necromancy on an eight year old thread.

I've had a theory on the basis of the Counter-Time Experiment conducted by Chronopolis, Annihilation Energy, and the very nature of time travel in Chrono Trigger. It is not based on actual science and there's probably room to poke holes in my theory, but it is based on what we know of confirmed Chronoverse time travel mechanics.

Based on what we've seen in Chrono Trigger, time travel mostly works like it does in Back to the Future. There's a singular timeline that, when there are changes to the timeline, the previous timeline gets "erased" and shunted to the Darkness Beyond Time, while it is replaced by the new timeline in which the change was made.

This contrasts somewhat with multiverse theory, something the Chrono series never really explores as a possibility but tiptoes upon this with the existence of the Reptite Dimension, the origin of the Dragonians in a timeline in which Lavos never descended upon the planet.

Regardless, my theory stems from the naming conventions of the project itself and currently doesn't have in-game dialogue to back it up.

Based on what we know:
-When a change to history is made, the original timeline is discarded to the Darkness Beyond Time, while the new timeline becomes the prime history
-Discarded timelines converge in the metaphysical, yet singular realm of the Darkness Beyond Time

The Counter-Time Experiment, I then theorize, was to try and utilize counter-time, namely the ability to retrieve and revisit discarded timelines. We've seen several timelines in the Chrono series - the original timeline in which Lavos destroys the planet, and a new timeline (Keystone Timeline) in which Crono and company stop him, which in turn results in Chrono Cross.

We know that Balthasar arrived in the new, non-apocalyptic 2300AD and utilized Central Regime resources to found the Time Travel Institute, Chronopolis, and Project Kid. His penultimate goal was to save Schala by any means necessary, even if that included creating an insanely convoluted plan regarding the near-murder of a child in order to move the Time Devourer/Schala just enough for Schala to regain enough humanity to create a sort of semi-clone. The Counter-Time Experiment was part of that.

What if the Counter-Time Experiment was originally intended to reach into these previous, discarded timelines and simply pluck Schala into the prime timeline. No need for a multiverse, and no need for the entirety of Project kid -- just reach into previous histories and grab Schala before she became part of the Dream Devourer entity. Problem solved.

However, the experiment failed and Chronopolis was hurled into the age of Antiquity, and we all know what happened from there.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2018, 12:03:47 am »
Nice, adding. Plucking someone out of time nicely represents the method used to save Crono, too.