Author Topic: is G4 just a bunch of dumb shits?  (Read 2436 times)

Zaulche

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Re: is G4 just a bunch of dumb shits?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 02:09:58 am »
Quote from: x_XTacTX_x
But their ARE faults in the game, like the camera zooming out way too far and the fact that you have to play the entire single player mode to unlock all the characters.

I agree that on some levels the camera zoom is annoying. However, you do not have to play through the single player mode to unlock characters (though it is one of the faster routes if you do not have a group to play with). Most of the unlockable characters have 2 or 3 different ways to unlock them (aside from SSE).

x_XTacTX_x

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 10:04:33 pm »
Quote from: x_XTacTX_x
But their ARE faults in the game, like the camera zooming out way too far and the fact that you have to play the entire single player mode to unlock all the characters.

I agree that on some levels the camera zoom is annoying. However, you do not have to play through the single player mode to unlock characters (though it is one of the faster routes if you do not have a group to play with). Most of the unlockable characters have 2 or 3 different ways to unlock them (aside from SSE).

Yes, but in order to unlock the most wanted characters, Sonic and Snake, you have to play about 50 million vs matches. I NOT WANT.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 11:24:00 pm »

Clearly someone doesn't want much replay out of their game, nor do they want to WORK for anything.  If you've played any of the other Smash Brothers games playing through the Subspace Emissary (the one-player campaign) is almost TOO EASY to get all the extra characters.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 11:39:31 pm »

Clearly someone doesn't want much replay out of their game, nor do they want to WORK for anything.  If you've played any of the other Smash Brothers games playing through the Subspace Emissary (the one-player campaign) is almost TOO EASY to get all the extra characters.

Oh, what's this? Someone giving a one-sided insult? Boo, I can't get anything BUT replay out of it. Since the day I bought it, the game hasn't left my Wii once. What I was trying to point out is how it kept bragging about Snake and Sonic, and then you find there a couple of the last characters you unlock. Like a genious, on the way home from Best Buy I invited some friends over to play it, and I was about to duece my pants at the whimsical thought of my main being Solid Snake from day one, but nooooo. They left after a few hours, and then I played through the entire SE in ten hours, in which it didn't seem like I was playing smash brothers at all anymore. I agree that it's easy, but Nintendo could've at least given us ONE of the third party duo from the start, no?

And my entire brawl match count: 1,346 individual matches. Take THAT for replay.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 04:31:46 am »
So then your argument is about the fact that fighting games make you unlock characters...? That you mistakenly thought you wouldn't have to unlock characters...? Which of these things is the fault of the game again? >_>

Zaulche

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 04:32:09 am »
While Sonic is one of the last characters you unlock, regardless of which method you use, you can get Snake fairly easily by just playing a few (I think it was 10 or 15) matches on shadow moses. If you make them 300% "handicap" matches you can be playing with him in under 10 minutes of your first play.

While I understand what you are saying, I personally did not mind the various ways to unlock characters. Even going through the subspace emissary I believe we unlocked every character hours before I unlocked everyone in SSBM (since some required hours of multiplayer and that was the only way to get them).

On another note, I just realised I had not contributed yet to the topic of this thread.

About G4, I do not really like it. I loved Tech TV (though I found out about it only a few months before it combined with G4), and right when they merged it was fine. However, once they replaced Tech TV shows (like Screensavers, future tech, et cetera) I stopped watching because they replaced all of the older very knowledgeable staff with young "hip" people to attract more of the younger crowd (which I guess is a bigger demographic). It just seems like all flash and no substance now (or much less substance anyway).

Every once in a while I will still catch X-Play. Didn't that show used to review games? It seems like it is all skits now. Unless they dedicate the show to a particular game, then it is like a 30 minute commercial. The old Extended play was great, because you only heard Adam narrate and they only showed games. I appreciated the witty remarks then, but it seems like they are trying too hard now.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 04:35:59 am »
I think a lot more of X-Play's reviews are online now, so if you don't like the skits & such in between, you can just go to their site and watch the reviews of the games you want to see reviews of there. How's THAT for interactivity? Huzzah!...? Or, I guess it's just alternative content, not interactivity...*shrugs*

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 10:22:24 am »
Maybe the IGN guys should do it, they know how to review

They are jsut as crappy as any other mainstream reviewer, really. 

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 11:04:57 am »
Who's taking reviewers straight to heart anyways? I guess there are people who watch/read a review and completely base their opinions on whatever because of what that reviewer says? It's just to give you some modicum of insight you might not get from just screenshots or clips of gameplay really. People need to get over it and realize that it's just someone else's opinion (yes, though someone w/probably more gaming experience than you)...Who cares if you don't always agree w/them?

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 11:17:33 am »
Who's taking reviewers straight to heart anyways? I guess there are people who watch/read a review and completely base their opinions on whatever because of what that reviewer says? It's just to give you some modicum of insight you might not get from just screenshots or clips of gameplay really. People need to get over it and realize that it's just someone else's opinion (yes, though someone w/probably more gaming experience than you)...Who cares if you don't always agree w/them?

Many mainstream sites are sitting in the laps of big developers...or on their knees and over-hype games that need not be over-hyped.  Oblivion and Bioshock being overused but good examples, both 7.0 to 8.0 on a scale of 10..not the 9.3+ scores given.
There is also a lack of balance between the good vs the bad in many reviews (at ign).  Sometimes it seems like they don't even care or pay attention for some games (good or bad). 
If they are to be professional journalists they need to be indpendent as best as possible and not feed the mass-producing crap game generating companies.  They only seem to be helping with the dumbing down and numbing of the gaming industry.  But, that is just my opinion.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 10:06:50 pm »
So then your argument is about the fact that fighting games make you unlock characters...? That you mistakenly thought you wouldn't have to unlock characters...? Which of these things is the fault of the game again? >_>

I just didn't like the fact that Brawl ran around prancing about, bragging about how it has Sonic and Snake, and then I realize one of them is only unlocked by playing at least over 10 FUCKING hours in the Subspace Emmisary, or playing 500 vs matches.

Many mainstream sites are sitting in the laps of big developers...

That sounds like me. When I'm not on here i'm either playing Portal or giving blowjobs to Valve Employees.

Eternal Equinox

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ShiningEquinox.com
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 10:20:01 pm »
G4 has been bad forever.

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 02:49:15 am »
I wanna see how the compendium would react if they gave chrono cross or trigger a bad review.

Imagine the nerd fuel riots. The hiveminded asima inhalers going off at the same time. me, sitting back, letting them get swat called on them, then sneaking in, and beating the hell out of Manchin.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 03:23:02 am »
Both CT & CC have always gotten good reviews...(by "actual" reviewers)

SolidSnake_8608

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 12:03:13 pm »
I actually think that the people at G4 aren't really dumb shits, they just have no idea what they are doing. It's the same reason why people think George Bush is a dumb ass. He just has no clue what is going on.