Author Topic: "Corridors of Time" Rise of Porre theory -- yea or nay?  (Read 4439 times)

VincentGAU8

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Toma The Explorer!! TOMA!!!
    • View Profile
Re: "Corridors of Time" Rise of Porre theory -- yea or nay?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2008, 06:44:46 am »
Ok.. But i still think that Porre's tech was around late 19th Century. Look at the Porre warship anchored at Home Termina, it seems like a pre-ironclad warship, with old fashioned masts and sails (???), and their cannons stationed at the town looked like muzzle loading to me: no breech or recoil mechanism was evident..

And yes, the French were a total washout during WWII, too bad for them and the world..

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2008, 10:30:09 am »
Actually, I finally finished up a regular New Game (no +) yesterday and, as I was running around Termina, I was thinking how near-20th century that warship was. Sure, the cannon placements were old-fashioned (looking like they were designed for pulling along side another ship and exchanging vollies), but the metal-reinforced hull and heavy mechanical look seems almost dreadnought-ish. Given that the Porre Military was able to respond to the raid on Viper Mansion so quickly in Another World implies that they have steam powered ships (yes, this one was mast and sail, but the implication was that not all were).

deviant_ambition

• Guardian (+100)
  • "Reality is irrelevant; Perception is everything."
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2008, 04:54:17 pm »
Wow, everyone else has covered so much of this topic.  I just wanted to point out one thing...

Although Swords and Guns are it's only weakness??? Hey, that implies that they had guns even back then! Oh yeah, you can buy guns there, can't you? Well, it also happens to mean that Guardia's Development Dept.

The Dreamgun?  6,500,000 B.C.?  They had guns too.  Shops carrying them just means it's time for a weapons upgrade for your characters, not plot development.  At least, that's what I believe.  For now.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2008, 07:52:02 pm »
idk...that's a mighty big leap of "it's just game mechanics" for me to believe...especially for theorizing...you've gotta go w/what the game gives you as actual evidence. How outlandish is learning to make guns at a different time than...say...learning MAGIC? :P

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2008, 10:41:11 am »
To be fair, what can and can't be bought in shopes is a very dubious source of evidence. However, what each character actually utilizes is more relevant. That Lucca uses guns implies that guns were around in 1000 AD more than shops selling them. After all, Robo's "arms" are presumably very technologically advanced, yet they are readily available in numerous time periods (which is more of an anachronism than guns).

But... we're talking about a dragon tank here. I think that alone is enough to support the assumption that they had guns during that time period.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2008, 02:59:27 pm »
Perhaps some of the 'guns' Lucca uses and the 'arms' utilized by Robo are just COMPONENTS that 'transform' their weapon into "Stone Shot" or "Terra Arm", etc.  You know, they are personalizing their weapons (such as Lucca making her gun capable of firing dreamstone shot).  Just as we rarely see Crono and friends eat, sleep, or go potty during their adventure, we may also not see the heroes re-utilize their weapons with "upgrades".

Any who, the Dragon Tank probably got shut down after two teenagers destroyed it.  If a military weapon was easily destroyed/dispatched by two teenagers here in the good ol' states, I think the military might view such weaponry as sub-par.  Most likely was the case with the Dragon Tank...

But the technology put into the tank is obviously important.  As mentioned before, lazers, flame throwers, etc.  Plus, when you defeat the Dragon Tank's head, we clearly see advanced machinery beneath the plating.  Also, it doesn't seem like the tank was piloted, so most likely it was unmanned and had sophisticated AI enabling it to target enemies and make proper battle tactics.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2008, 07:33:31 pm »
Quote from: Ba-Ba-Booey
Perhaps some of the 'guns' Lucca uses and the 'arms' utilized by Robo are just COMPONENTS that 'transform' their weapon into "Stone Shot" or "Terra Arm", etc.  You know, they are personalizing their weapons (such as Lucca making her gun capable of firing dreamstone shot).  Just as we rarely see Crono and friends eat, sleep, or go potty during their adventure, we may also not see the heroes re-utilize their weapons with "upgrades".

Yeah, I was thinking of something similar after I posted last...I think that it's less that they buy the completed weaponry, but more that they mostly buy the necessary parts to build the weapons...Game mechanics just takes out the part where Lucca says, "Hey, I could use [whatever material is available] to make [whatever weapon]!", because basically that's what Zappa does in Chrono Cross to make weapons, right? I don't think they are just "upgrades" though as they're all (clearly w/the weapon art?) individual weapons...

Quote from: Teh Boo-ster
Any who, the Dragon Tank probably got shut down after two teenagers destroyed it.  If a military weapon was easily destroyed/dispatched by two teenagers here in the good ol' states, I think the military might view such weaponry as sub-par.  Most likely was the case with the Dragon Tank...

Yeah, I'd assume plenty of people'd get fired.

Quote from: Boo-bariono
But the technology put into the tank is obviously important.  As mentioned before, lazers, flame throwers, etc.  Plus, when you defeat the Dragon Tank's head, we clearly see advanced machinery beneath the plating.  Also, it doesn't seem like the tank was piloted, so most likely it was unmanned and had sophisticated AI enabling it to target enemies and make proper battle tactics.

Y'know, Luccia from CC would be around back then, right? Maybe she, or her brother for that matter (who is probably a better choice actually since Luccia seems more of a biologist), had something to do w/the advanced technology too?

P.S. I quoted you three times even though I posted right after you because, well, 1) I had three points to make, so I guess it was a lil easier that way? but mainly 2) Because I had those names pop in my head! :lol:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 07:35:02 pm by V_Translanka »

VincentGAU8

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Toma The Explorer!! TOMA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2008, 07:09:30 am »
Actually, I finally finished up a regular New Game (no +) yesterday and, as I was running around Termina, I was thinking how near-20th century that warship was. Sure, the cannon placements were old-fashioned (looking like they were designed for pulling along side another ship and exchanging vollies), but the metal-reinforced hull and heavy mechanical look seems almost dreadnought-ish. Given that the Porre Military was able to respond to the raid on Viper Mansion so quickly in Another World implies that they have steam powered ships (yes, this one was mast and sail, but the implication was that not all were).

That is a good reason why that ship is not on par with our 20th Century vessels.. warships from 1900 onwards were outfitted with turrets, not broadside cannons, and the first ironclads and steam powered ships made their first appearance during the 1860s, i belive, such as the famous monitor and merrimac.. the British Dreadnought is nowhere near that Porre warship, it [Dreadnought] is obviously far more advanced..

Y'know, Luccia from CC would be around back then, right? Maybe she, or her brother for that matter (who is probably a better choice actually since Luccia seems more of a biologist), had something to do w/the advanced technology too?

Yeah, maybe.. Luccia also said that Lucca was a colleague, and they probably would have worked on a similar field of science for some time..