Author Topic: What Video game character are you? Hero vs Villain Edition!  (Read 904 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
What Video game character are you? Hero vs Villain Edition!
« on: April 29, 2008, 04:12:04 pm »
What video game HERO relates to you the most?

What video game VILLAIN hits close to home?

AND WHY!  AND HOW!

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: What Video game character are you? Hero vs Villain Edition!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 04:34:44 pm »
Lets up the antie and make this a full on Video Game Literature Course, 101.

1. What video game Hero do you relate to the most?
2. What video game Villain hits closest to home?
3. What video game anti-hero are you like?
4. What video game anti-villain do you resemble? (extra credit if you can identify what an anti-villain is without looking).

Who?! What? When? Where? How? And sometimes why and double-u?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 04:43:06 pm by Thought »

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 05:03:30 pm »
4. What video game anti-villain do you resemble? (extra credit if you can identify what an anti-villain is without looking).

I looked it up just now.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 05:26:36 pm »
*Importation of information imminent.*

1. I've never really believed in the stereotypical 'Hero' archetype, but here goes...
Cecil Harvey(Dark Knight FF4)- I have a sense of honor and am taken advantage of sometimes because of it, however when I make a 'true' vow (be it vengeance, a goal, or a personal code) I will stick to it.

2.Id- I sometimes like to cause mayhem at the slightest whim and bring down wrath on those who either get in my way or who I feel are deserving.

3.This one is a toss-up between The Nameless One(PS:T) and Albel Nox- I tend to voice concise, yet indifferent opinions, rarely letting emotion interfere with decisions, but rather letting honor guide them.

4.Citan Uzuki- I am a tinkerer, love to be helpful, yet I can be manipulative if the situation demands it, and I always find myself winding up in other peoples' matters... (I knew that... what do I get?)

I looked it up just now.
tsk, tsk...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 08:25:26 pm by BROJ »

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 08:45:46 pm »
4. What video game anti-villain do you resemble?

The Vault-dweller from Fallout, works for all of them.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 08:50:01 pm »
Having not played Fallout; could you explain?

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 11:52:48 pm »
What video game HERO relates to you the most?

What video game VILLAIN hits close to home?

AND WHY!  AND HOW!

YOU BASTARD I WANTED TO DO THISQ!! JK JK.

I am mostly like Cloud and as for Villain.. maybe onslaught....

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 02:50:13 am »
Tough. This is 'identify with', right? Not 'are actually like', right?

Well, on all grounds I'd have to say Darth Revan, then. He's a mix of all those. At one point a hero; then a villain; but also an anti-hero in his approach to being a villain; and then also, maybe, a bit of an anti-villain, at least compared to his apprentice Malak. I've always liked his character.

I also do admit I have an affinity for Janus for both villain and anti-hero, and later on as pure hero, but that's largely because of how I see him, which is a lot more brilliant and heroic, and less dark, than most do. People see him as intensely troubled, but I see that as a mere phase of stepping out of the darkness... that his strength of character is great enough that, in short order, he no longer has that darkness trouble him. He's too strong for it. Anyway, what with my contemplatative nature, I think I identify with him a bit, too.

Anti-villains... damn, those are rare, eh? Very few in video games, and usually they cease being anti-villains and become heroes when they realise they are on the 'wrong' side. If someone like, say, Celes, had remained on the side of the Empire, that'd be an incredible anti-villain... but we don't get many of those. Ocelot from MGS3 is an anti-villain, I guess. Thing is, anti-villains are by far the best characters, because they're the most respectable. Anti-heroes are too often melodramatic in nature... that is, they have unearned emotions surrounding them; heroes and villains are by nature simple. Anti-villains makes you question why you fight them at all.

This is a tough question overall, I must say. You're asking which of all those archetypes we most identify with? I've thrown out some ideas for myself, but it'll be a bit before I come to any conclusions. I usually have a very tough time identifying with characters. Usually I'm more towards the hero (not so much anti-heroes.) Thing is, characters are usually written to identify with achetypes of society I don't often buy into. The dreamer hero sorts, for example, have no pull on me at all (say, the Tidus sort.) Neither the troubled hero (like Cloud.) Nor the misfit. Actually, I like Serge a bit, come to think of it. But that's not tough, because he has very little personality.

Heh, I'll give it thought apart from this rambling. Thought, why do you have to ask a question like this? Now I'll be all confused.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 09:01:40 am »
4. What video game anti-villain do you resemble?

You are my hero, Kebrel.  And I will copy cat you, except I will say the Chosen One from Fallout 2 :P  Fallout, Best game ever.

Having not played Fallout; could you explain?

You should BROJ.  One of the few games where it is truly your path to blaze.  To sum it up neatly, the moral choices in the game can hit any or all of the 4 questions proposed.

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 12:35:39 pm »
Kain of the LoK series, who fits into all those roles!