Author Topic: Anyone else upgrading today?  (Read 538 times)

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Anyone else upgrading today?
« on: April 24, 2008, 01:53:50 pm »
Anyone else getting the new Ubuntu Distribution today?

I'm mainly getting it cause the firefox 3 beta is the official browser (I know I can get the browser by itself I'm just saying that was one of the selling points).

I've had ubuntu for about 6 months now it's a good operating system definitely has it's quirks but nothing major.  The sad part is I got it to be my "programming machine" but I've become to accustomed to VS to make the switch.  Eclipse just doesn't do it for me.

--JP

Ramsus

Re: Anyone else upgrading today?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 03:52:09 pm »
I don't really pay attention to IDEs because I've just been using Emacs for the last several years, but I remember hearing people make a lot of noise about Anjuta and more recently Code::Blocks.

Luminaire85

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Cinema
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 03:58:22 pm »
Ubuntu/Kubuntu has become the distro I recommend to almost anyone who asks me about Linux. I'll be upgrading this evening. Haven't decided whether to pick KDE 3 or 4, and I might end up installing both.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 05:50:04 pm »
Thanks for pointing out code blocks.  It sounds very similar to Eclipse with it's plugin based extensibility.

I used Emacs/Pico for years because I was stubborn but once I started using the debugging tools of VS and got used to the intellisense I couldn't go back.  That being said Eclipse has similar debugging and intellisense but I find that it uses more memory and can get kind of sluggish (I do still use it as my primary Java IDE still)

--JP

Ramsus

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 11:14:56 pm »
I see. If you're mostly doing your real work in C, C++, and Java, then you might also give KDevelop a try. Considering that KDE developers work with C++ all of the time, it should come with a pretty decent setup out-of-the box.

I use Emacs because I mostly work with Python, Lisp, and C, so in a lot of ways, there's nothing that comes close. Certainly nothing that's cross-platform. Also knowing elisp and liking it really helps too.