Author Topic: Remix Spotlight II  (Read 11806 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Remix Spotlight II
« on: January 29, 2005, 02:38:02 pm »
Post your picks for the Remix Spotlight II here. This one has no deadline. Also, if you can, focus on Chrono Cross/Radical Dreamers, since the last one only had one Cross remix.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Remix Spotlight II
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 06:36:37 pm »
So, we just post favorite mixes? I don't remember the other one...

From the few CC remixes that I DLed, I remember being okay with

- 'RadicalPunks' By Ailsean

and I liked

-'Time Voyager' by Chronosis.

For RD, I liked

- 'IndustrialPromise' by Children of the Monkey Machine

and

-'ReveD'Ordinateur' by Zeratul

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
Remix Spotlight II
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 09:52:20 pm »
Well, you should write a couple paragraphs on why you like them and how they reflect upon the Chrono series. Check my example in the current editorial.

Aitrus

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Remix Spotlight II
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 01:49:47 am »
Green Amnesia - Disco Dan

A remix of the CT piece, "Memories of Green," this piece nonetheless feels more like a CC piece, possibly due to the light guitar background, reminiscent of some of the overworld pieces in Cross.  This is a nice relaxing song, definitely a song for the overworld map, when you're looking for a break from the constant battles.  Around the 4:00 minute mark, it does pick up some, with background drums shifting into a doubletime, but the foreground music remaining at the same even tempo.  Overall, it's a nice, relaxing piece, one I'd definitely recommend.

Just Chill - The Pancake Chef

A remix of CC's "Predicament" (which plays if you try to scale the cliff outside of Viper Manor), this is a nice little tune.  It's relaxing in the same sort of way that "Green Amnesia" is, but a little more upbeat, with both a box organ and a violin carrying the melody, making it feel almost like an old sailing song, switching up throughout the song.  The background is dominated by a steady electronic drum going throughout most of the song.  Overall, the effect is very nice, and I'd honestly rather play this during that part than the original song.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
Remix Spotlight II
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 03:38:04 pm »
I have a very limited selection of remixes, only from OCR. I have yet to run through all of them, but I'll say what I like so far.

Neil Benjamin ~ Far Away Memories

Neil does a great job here of capturing the essense of the final song from the game. Using a guitar as the focal instrument worked very well, it separated the main notes of the origional work from the background drums very well. He slows it down a little, which adds to the emotion of the piece. He did not stray too much away from the original piece, but sometimes small changes can make just as much difference as large ones. This is shortened also, he does not included the final minute or so, where the music that is also played when Crono is revived on Death Peak is played.

JigginJonT  ~ Enter the Frog

A techno remix of Frog's Theme, done very well. The part that always puts a large smile on my face whenever I hear it is the sound effects of the Masamune being unsheathed and Frog ribbiting. Thier placement in the song is done phenominally well, and adds so much more to the intensity of the music. Without it, the song is above average. But with it, it makes it an exteremely well done piece. I highly reccomend this to everyone, even people who do not enjoy techno (I don't listen to it anymore) will love this song.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
Remix Spotlight II
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 12:43:29 am »
Thanks for the contributions so far. I wrote abg about hosting Lavos vs. JENOVA (music only), and he said he's going to rework the ending so that it won't be as abrupt for the Chrono Compendium. I'm thrilled, as I planned to write about that song in this update. Now I need some good questions to ask him.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
Remix Spotlight II
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 07:58:16 pm »
chronotriggerfreak sent in interview question for his remixers, and now they've both been answered:

JJT, EntertheFrog

1. Using the sound effects was genious, what brought you to add
them to the song?

-I'm not a techno artist per se, so when I constructed this
remix I was working off stereotypes revolving around the cheesy
remix genre.  Cliche number one is to include a sound byte from
the source material, so I pretty much took that and ran with it.

2. Obviously Frog's theme is a popular song from the Chrono
Trigger OST, did the song or the character bring you to make the
remix?

-It was the song.  I was looking to remix something from CT that
had a strong melody.  If a song has a strong melody, you can
deconstruct it and rearrange it in all kinds of ways, while
still keeping it recognizable. Frog's theme is one of the
stronger melodies off the OST, so there you have it.

3. Did you ever think that having a techno based mix would make
it more difficult to keep the theme of the song?

-No.  Refer to question 2.

Regards,
Jon

Neil Benjamin, Far Away Memories

1. What in or about the original song drew you to make a remix?
'To Far Away Times' is a song that gives closure.  It's ability to make you
close your eyes and sigh after going through an epic adventure across time,
is what drew me in the most.

2. Are you planning to do similar mixes of Chrono trigger songs?
This song was made for submission to Ocremix.org. Looking through their list
of remixes, there are a LOT of songs based on Squaresoft music.  I would
really like to explore the music of games that aren't covered as much.  But
that being said, doing another Chrono Trigger song is not out of the
question.  I was really proud of the acoustic style I used for 'To Far Away
Memories', and I would like to do another song along those lines.

3. What is your favorite aspect or part in Chrono Trigger?
The flying-away-on-a-balloon ending.

SilentMartyr

• View Profile
Remix Spotlight II
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 10:59:55 pm »
Wow, that was fast turnaround.

Neil's answers to 1 and 3 are exactly what I would say. That is awesome.

Crystal Zeal

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Remix Spotlight II
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 06:42:42 pm »
Crying Mountain
Saiko

It starts out with the normal music for Singing Mountain, before moving into a more upbeat tune that's kinda techno-y and synth-y.  It's short but sweet, and a good rendition of a song that I wish had been used.

Jethro and Vash at the Fair
djpretzel

Probably my favorite CT remix, Jethro and Vash at the Fair is really unique and really refreshing, because it stands apart so much from most other remixes.  It's a remix of the Millennial Fair music.  It starts off with an acoustic guitar, eventually leading into an almost psuedo-Western style.  It almost reminds me a little bit of CC's music in Termina in places.  It's a pretty sweet song.

Time Chill
mv

This chill remix of Time Curcuits is appropriately titled. It's a kinda hip-hoppy song with some jazz mixed in, and is very fluid.  Reeaally chill.  My only complaint is that is just kind of...ends.

-----

Another Inspiration
Scott Peeples

This one reminds me a lot of Reiterated Inspiration, on the CD Squaredance, just without the sexy voices.  Even without 'em, this is an awesome remix of At the Dream's Shore - Another World.  It's just a really relaxing, calm piece.  

Just Chill
The Pancake Chef

I love how this remix of Predicament flows.  It makes me want to drum along with my fingers.  It kinda has a hip-hoppy beat, and is kinda synthy at times.  A really good remix overall, with a good mixture of sounds and beats.  

Radical Punks
Ailsean

An awesome remix of Radical Dreamers.  Then again, it's Ailsean -- what else can you expect?  It's almost like Nikki decided to jam out and take over this song.  It's punkish and the guitar sounds great.  

----

Anywho, hope that works.

SilentMartyr

• View Profile
Remix Spotlight II
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 10:41:38 am »
Quote from: Crystal Zeal

Jethro and Vash at the Fair
djpretzel

Probably my favorite CT remix, Jethro and Vash at the Fair is really unique and really refreshing, because it stands apart so much from most other remixes.  It's a remix of the Millennial Fair music.  It starts off with an acoustic guitar, eventually leading into an almost psuedo-Western style.  It almost reminds me a little bit of CC's music in Termina in places.  It's a pretty sweet song.

I agree, this is right up there on my list too. At work I would find myself listening to it on repeat if no one else was in the lab.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Remix Spotlight II
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 05:06:54 am »
Wait, did this ever get done? And if not, is there still time to add? Or...Can you add on to any Editorial at any time, even if it's already done?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
Remix Spotlight II
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 02:10:08 pm »
Oh, you can still add. Do write a paragraph or two at least, however. And make 2 or 3 questions for the remixer; It's pretty easy to interview em.