Author Topic: Anyone know a good stain remover for syrup?  (Read 2791 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know a good stain remover for syrup?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2008, 05:38:23 pm »
It's Stephen King's 7-novel opus that ties ALL of his books together into one "universe".  It's a great series and has so much more left to tell - here's to hoping that King will write some more.  He wrote the 7 books over a course of, like, 20-something years and they're a quasi-post apocalyptic/fantasy/western series...  Read the first book, "The Gunslinger" and then decide if it's worth reading any more.  It's about 5000 pages total, so it's a lot...

But it IS a great series.  I hated Stephen King until The Dark Tower series.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2008, 05:43:02 pm »
At least I'll give Pullman some props (please do imagine that I just said that with a British accent) for making premarital hanky-panky the thing that save all existance.

"That Harry Twathead is a high offense against The only Lord and Savior we can turn to! Might as well get the Government on that British bitch. We can accomplish anything with Bush's son in office. There's a man who get's stuff done!"

http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20051212.html
http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20080102.html

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2008, 05:47:21 pm »
At least I'll give Pullman some props (please do imagine that I just said that with a British accent) for making premarital hanky-panky the thing that save all existance.

"That Harry Twathead is a high offense against The only Lord and Savior we can turn to! Might as well get the Government on that British bitch. We can accomplish anything with Bush's son in office. There's a man who get's stuff done!"

http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20051212.html
http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20080102.html

ROFL

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2008, 05:49:05 pm »
[quotehttp://www.shortpacked.com/d/20051212.html
http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20080102.html[/quote]

so true.... so true....

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2008, 05:51:46 pm »
It's Stephen King's 7-novel opus that ties ALL of his books together into one "universe".  It's a great series and has so much more left to tell - here's to hoping that King will write some more.  He wrote the 7 books over a course of, like, 20-something years and they're a quasi-post apocalyptic/fantasy/western series...  Read the first book, "The Gunslinger" and then decide if it's worth reading any more.  It's about 5000 pages total, so it's a lot...

But it IS a great series.  I hated Stephen King until The Dark Tower series.

I read the ending on the internet. 

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2008, 05:52:46 pm »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I knew a lot of people who were pissed at the ending...  I love it.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2008, 08:37:49 pm »
If Roland didn't have the horn, I would have hated the ending. As it was, I thought it was very fitting & complimented his mostly tragic character.

I loved the Dark Tower...The Gunslinger and Wizard & Glass are two of Stephen King's best...The Talisman, which connects a lot w/the DT is also great & one of his best.

If you need to feed that Tower junkie inside of you, there's the new run of comics The Dark Tower: The Long Road Home.

From what I read, it's basically about the trip back to Gilead after the events of Wizard & Glass/The Gunslinger Born. Sounds neat, eh? New Dark Tower material!! I hope this eventually leads up to a comic that'll fill us in on some of the more intricate details of the battle on Jericho Hill. Robin Furth, writer of Stephen King's Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance happens to be the co-author of the DT comics (this one & The Gunslinger Born)! SK's overseeing everything and Robin Furth probably knows more about the DT series than HE does!

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2008, 08:25:11 am »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I knew a lot of people who were pissed at the ending...  I love it.

Yea, it is understandable, considering the time and effort put into reading that many pages, to have that kind of ending.  But I don't mind it, mainly because I only read 1 out of 5000 pages, and that kind of ending is a-ok with me.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2008, 08:29:35 am »
Golden Compass was ok. Subtle Knife was awesome. Amber Spyglass...not so good.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2008, 03:12:05 pm »
Golden Compass was ok. Subtle Knife was awesome. Amber Spyglass...not so good.

The Subtle Knife was utterly ruined for me by [spoiler] Lyra's reason for trusting Will. Essentially, she said, "Oh, I can trust him because he's a murderer." Now I generally try not to swear, but this is a time when it is appropriate. What the fuck?! Why couldn't Pullman have been nice and just said "If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college." It would have been easier on my sanity and made just as much, if not more, sense. Even using marzipan as a justification for atheism was better than that. [/spoiler]

Actually... I think I might like the series, if it wasn't for that book. Ah well, to each his own.

Out of curiosity, why did you like the Subtle Knife more than the Amber Spyglass?

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »
Yeah, that sort of intrigues me.  I thought The Subtle Knife was by far the weakest book.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2008, 07:25:39 pm »
Raymond E. Feist's "Riftwar Saga" (& all of the series surrounding those worlds) and Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" are good (though I'm not through either series).

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2008, 03:52:35 pm »
It isn't a Fantasy series, but has anyone read James Patterson's "Alex Cross" series? Those books rock.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2008, 05:06:36 pm »
 :lol:

Those web comics were great!

So I have the Golden Compass, but haven't even started to read it yet. I bought it like 6 month ago lol. Maybe I'll start reading this summer, since I won't have as much school work.