Author Topic: Is Magus really all that cool?  (Read 107736 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Is Magus really all that cool?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 10:59:50 pm »
I think what I like most about Schala is how unexplored her character is -- and that's precisely why many are also left wondering why the heck Schala has such ardent fans. From a storyline perspective, as with Magus, there's so much you can do with the character. But if limited to the in-game evidence, I view Schala as a tragic Christlike figure, realizing the wrongs of her society but continuing her passive resistance despite how futile it all might seem to her. She's committed to the principle of kindness, and it is her unwavering loyalty to this principle that is ultimately her undoing. Schala must have some really brilliant psychological anguish going on inside her mind.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 11:02:01 pm »
For some reason I loved Toma Levine.  I always wanted to see more Toma Levine.

Then I saw the Toriyama character art for him and I thought he looked like a boofus - and that mustache didn't help in the least.

But still, Mr. Pour This Soda On My Grave holds a special part of my heart.

And not in the homosexual way.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 11:05:30 pm »
Toma, too, is freaking awesome. There's so much you can do with the character. Uh, jeez, I'm saying that a lot.

Did the group have to pour sake on Toma's grave in the Japanese version, I wonder?

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 11:08:07 pm »
I'm 97.2325% percent sure... YES.

I have this idea in my head for a Chrono game that I hope to make into a MOD one day (I'm not claiming that it will happen yet) and Toma definitely serves a larger role (as a supporting character).  Gosh, I almost want to go public with the storyline just to get the ball rolling, but I can't commit yet...

*sigh*

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 11:30:08 pm »
Sweet, I look forward to it. There's always the Dream Splash!es, but I think El Nido is next. I can't wait for the Guardia Dream Splash!; at that point, I shall release some Toma-related writing I've got sitting on my hard drive, and you can release yours, and we'll have a Toma party! Complete with sake, and cider for the young ones.

Avalon

• Earthbound (+15)
  • The Once and Future King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 11:35:36 pm »
I think I'm with Glennleo, Frog/Glenn is easily my favourite character, but he really wouldn't be the same without Magus.

VincentGAU8

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Toma The Explorer!! TOMA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 01:18:21 am »
Magus is cool even if his character is not to everyone's liking... His story touched me, losing everything he held dear... It is no wonder why he went over to the Dark Side, hehe... :)

I am all for Magus and everything, but the thing I don't get is the love for Schala. :?

Huh? that surprised me... I thought everyone here at the Compendium REVERE Schala... :?

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 01:27:17 am »
I was surprised to find everyone here loved her, she was important in CC, but in CT all she did that was important was teleport you out of Ocean Palace. Thats cool and all but man not worth being revered.

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 03:21:07 am »
Well Lavos was in Cloverfield, so now he has many fans!

:D

I think that the "thing" in cloverfield was more like Sin

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 03:28:15 am »
I didn't really dig her that much, she gave Magus that Amulet, which was neat...I like the idea that Magus keeps that pendant all throughout those years, wearing it proudly & enabling him to avoid all status effects! HA! I somehow figure that's got to be someway he managed to get on the side of the Mystics, because they couldn't poison/confuse/whatever him...^_^

Anyways...she's not developed a lot, but even the small glimpse of her personality in Trigger made me like her more than, say, Marle...>_> But that's not really saying much, I guess...*shrugs* She was a sort of tragic character, forced to go with her mother's insanity and not really being able to do much against it besides when she frees Crono & Co. to try & help the Gurus...and then the crap happens to her inbetween CT & CC, of course...It's interesting that they say she's more powerful than even her mother, and yet she's still compelled to do what her mother asks of her. Definitely a neat, kind of unique personality.

VincentGAU8

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Toma The Explorer!! TOMA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 06:57:56 am »
Yes indeed.. many people like her not because of the role she played in CT but because of her personality..
oh man, why couldnt she just escape from the Ocean Palace along with the rest of the PCs???

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 07:47:14 pm »
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, but a big reason people like both Magus & Schala is their kick-ass themes! Two of the best in a game absolutely saturated with awesome themes.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2008, 07:49:17 pm »
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, but a big reason people like both Magus & Schala is their kick-ass themes! Two of the best in a game absolutely saturated with awesome themes.

AHHHHHH.

You see, I watched my brother played CT when I was very young so I don't remember the music ell, and then I wen't and played through the ROM without sound!

Oh well, Imma go play my rom on this PC (that has sound)

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2008, 07:54:22 pm »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's sacrilege...especially here, dude! You lose 1/3 of the awesomeness that is CT w/o the sound!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2008, 07:59:33 pm »
Tis true!  The fact that you're a big enough fan and haven't heard any of the music is pretty epic, actually...  being that music is such a plus for that game...