Author Topic: Is Magus really all that cool?  (Read 108565 times)

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
Is Magus really all that cool?
« on: April 16, 2008, 05:12:29 pm »
I'm really getting tired of everyone saying that magus is the best character in either of the Chrono games.

I'm really getting tired of how out of every 5 CT fanfics I read, at least 3 center around him.

Am I really the only one who isn't freaking obsessed with Magus? I mean, come on! Sure, he's cool and all, and he's Schala's little brother, but in the end he's just BORING. He has very little Personal Development, and he always acts all stuck up, like he's better than everyone else.

AND HIS HAIR IS PURPLE >:U

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Is Magus really all that cool?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 05:29:57 pm »

You were saying?  :P

The thing that makes Magus so awesome is his story. It gives him so much room for development -- he's such a stick-in-the-mud, and he's guilty of murdering Cyrus. He's got weird emotional baggage. There's just so many directions to go in when you're writing a storyline involving Magus, or creating some other Magus-centric work of art.

If "Chrono Cross: The Darkness Beyond Time" comes to fruition, I'm going to heavily lobby for a scenario in which Magus-turned-Magil has to come to terms with who he was in Chrono Trigger. The sheer awesomeness of such a scenario may be precisely why Kato made the decision not to include Magus in Chrono Cross in the first place -- just too much territory and character development to cover in a game that has to explain so much else.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 05:39:21 pm by FaustWolf »

Dark_Ansem

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 05:44:21 pm »
just as Faustwolf said, what makes magus amazing is his story. he's no villain and hero, he's an anti-hero who's not afraid to say, loud and clear "I care NOTHING for this world, I want to be all powerful for what I want, which by accident might be of some use to you, and who stops me will be crushed".

plus, his redemption from an arch-enemy (the events in CT) to an unlikely ally... it is legend. they say war makes strange bedfellows, even stranger if they have red eyes and can annhilate entire armies with a spell.

of course, de gustibus non disputandum est. but magus is loved by many because of all this, and much more. the image posted by FaustWolf is pretty much explanative.

and BTW, he IS better than anyone else XD IMHO, of course. certainly more powerful than anyone else, with the possible exception of Lavos (in his ultimate stage) and some other creatures.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 05:58:29 pm by Dark_Ansem »

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 06:58:04 pm »
Well on a non-biased stand point you can't deny that he could have a sequel to trigger about him. If you didn't defeat him with Frog/Glenn you could easily have had a sequel with him looking for schala instead of the Cross characters.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 07:06:24 pm »
He has the most Character Development out of Crono & Co. easily. I'd say his hair is more cerulean or turquoise blue than purple...He also happens to be one of the only characters that has close ties to an actual family besides, what? Crono's mom & Marle's dad (OMG! I smell hentai pairing!)? He's an ass, but it's easy to relate to WHY and what he's doing.

No father figure, insane mother, and people talking about how his sister's the big magic powerhouse of the family while he doesn't seem to have a speck in him...I mean, c'mon, he was torn from the only person that actually liked him and thrown into a war-torn nation where there are a bunch of freaky monsters that surround him...how's he not gonna be a little fucked up about all that? He's also a heavily revenge-based character, which is always fun. He was willing to do whatever it took to reach his goals. I think there's something inspiring about what he was able to accomplish. The pure strength of will to continue on for all of those years. Revenge honed to a terrible point, assuredly.

Magus isn't really the best character in the game, but when you first get him he is gonna be the most powerful Magically...Plus, his Techs are some of the coolest looking (& sounding!)...and he's got the most powerful all-targeting Magic Triple Tech: Omega Flare.

He just has the best quotes in the game! He's like Ash in Army of Darkness, he's got so many great lines!

Quote from: Magus
The black wind begins to blow…
Alright give me your best shot… if you’re prepared for the void!

Say, can you hear that? It's the sound of the Reaper!

Idiots...nothing can live forever.
Zeal...a pitiful woman, duped by Lavos!
I, myself, will bring an end to all this!

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it!
If my fate is to be destroyed, then I must simply laugh.
I'm coming, Lavos!

Idiot! Have you forgotten our trip to 600 AD?

There's a letter here. Shall we burn it?

The past is dead.
It was all just a dream...

So... since the dawn of time, it has slept underground, controlling evolution on this world for his own purpose...
We were created to be harvested. All people...... and all living things...
......It's over for you... Your life ends here!

I don't think it's canon to have defeated him on the Cape...especially after RD & his mention, albeit small & overly vague, in CC by Lucca...

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 07:14:25 pm »
My favorite character is obviously Glenn, if you couldn't tell by my avatar, sig, and user name.

There are many reasons, but most of them got covered by the posts above me so I won;t mention them again.

But I have a very simple reason. There could be no Glenn, without Magus, so by default he is also one of my favorites characters for that reason alone.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 07:42:26 pm »
He has the most Character Development out of Crono & Co. easily. I'd say his hair is more cerulean or turquoise blue than purple...He also happens to be one of the only characters that has close ties to an actual family besides, what? Crono's mom & Marle's dad (OMG! I smell hentai pairing!)? He's an ass, but it's easy to relate to WHY and what he's doing.

No father figure, insane mother, and people talking about how his sister's the big magic powerhouse of the family while he doesn't seem to have a speck in him...I mean, c'mon, he was torn from the only person that actually liked him and thrown into a war-torn nation where there are a bunch of freaky monsters that surround him...how's he not gonna be a little fucked up about all that? He's also a heavily revenge-based character, which is always fun. He was willing to do whatever it took to reach his goals. I think there's something inspiring about what he was able to accomplish. The pure strength of will to continue on for all of those years. Revenge honed to a terrible point, assuredly.

Magus isn't really the best character in the game, but when you first get him he is gonna be the most powerful Magically...Plus, his Techs are some of the coolest looking (& sounding!)...and he's got the most powerful all-targeting Magic Triple Tech: Omega Flare.

Yeah, I see where You're coming from, it's just that I wish other characters could get some light Fanwise.
 How do you think Toma and Tata feel xD

Toma & Tata: Thank you! Finally someone loves us!

Tact: Shutup you idiots. No one likes you.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 07:57:16 pm »
I agree.  What the hell makes Magus so cool?  He's dark, mysterious..so?  So is lavos and you don't see many fans for "it"...I don't get the thing.  THen again, you could say the same thing to me asking "Why do you like Schala so much?"  I guess there's just things that work with people and things that don't.  Magus is a DEFINATE no for me.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 08:00:15 pm »
Well Lavos was in Cloverfield, so now he has many fans!

:D

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 08:06:20 pm »
Well Lavos was in Cloverfield, so now he has many fans!

:D

WTF? Okay, I have to see that flick now.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 08:09:48 pm »
Okay, for the record... NOT REALLY.  They are only similar in the fact they are both giant creatures hellbent on destruction.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 08:21:19 pm »
Oh....

I thought there was actually a Lavos reference ;_;

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 08:28:04 pm »
justin's right, Schala...pwns...ALL!

cupn00dles did the first one I believe, but I'm unsure about the others except EmperorJustin at Deviantart.

Toma and Tata deserve more screentime though. So does Lavos. Damn, this thread gives me nostalgic feelings for that Chrono Break audiotext thingy I've left abandoned for the longest time. However, the Chrono Cross doings must come first.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 08:29:42 pm by FaustWolf »

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 10:47:55 pm »
I am all for Magus and everything, but the thing I don't get is the love for Schala. :?

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 10:57:27 pm »
Tata and Schala are my favorite NPC's in CT.