Author Topic: Is Magus really all that cool?  (Read 107757 times)

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Re: Is Magus really all that cool?
« Reply #480 on: February 11, 2011, 12:42:39 pm »
Hmm, I've gone over this before, but I've never been of the school that thought Magus ever put Schala second to Lavos. I can see how you'd think that, but the fact he's such a withdrawn person - combined with clear evidence of his longstanding affection for her - makes me believe she's at least as much of a priority. It's also quite plausible to me that Magus understands that Lavos and Schala are linked. It's hard to make a case either way, but I think it's unquestionable that he loves her very much.

Regarding shipping, hmm... people tend to respond strongly to the intensity of Magus' bond with Schala, and I can see how that may lead some to ship them. However, I like the uniqueness of a rare platonic bond of that magnitude and the fact that our usual notions of a nonsexual relationship don't jive with how uncomfortably close and devoted to each other they seem to be. I suppose I can just say they're a lot more interesting to me when they're not potrayed as "in love." I see the appeal I think, shipping is quite an individual thing, but I like to focus on why they are close and not necessarily how they are ~in love~. The fact they are brother and sister forces you to consider their actual connection rather than placing them in this prescripted romantic context. You know?

Of course, Byron was actually in love with his half-sister, which seems to make the comparison I made before a bit more apt. The Romantics had a huge obsession brother-sister relationships in general, actually... they were attracted to them as symbols of purity and closeness, but again, I  just don't think that you necessarily need to go a sexual route because of the intensity of the bond.

(Auuuugh Kato, WHY did you create this incredibly nuanced relationship and then NEGLECT TO EXPLORE IT FOR A CARNIVAL OF PLAYABLES IN CC. WHYYYYY. okay I'm done now.)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 12:46:24 pm by Syna »

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 11, 2011, 04:06:21 pm »
That's one of the big reasons I like Radical Dreamers so much. The potential future for Magus not only shows the bond between him and Kid/Schala, but it also shows how he would behave around Serge, someone who clearly loves her romantically.

: What about when I cock-blocked him at the end and ran off to marry my freshly re-memorized sister?

Quiet, you.

Lady Marle

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Princess Nadia of Guardia a.k.a. Marle
    • View Profile
    • find me on deviantArt
« Reply #482 on: February 21, 2011, 12:39:32 am »
That's one of the big reasons I like Radical Dreamers so much. The potential future for Magus not only shows the bond between him and Kid/Schala, but it also shows how he would behave around Serge, someone who clearly loves her romantically.

: What about when I cock-blocked him at the end and ran off to marry my freshly re-memorized sister?

Quiet, you.

XD

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 24, 2011, 05:11:49 pm »
Know what I think doesn't get discussed enough around here? Magus's journey as a metaphor for child molestation.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 24, 2011, 07:53:26 pm »
Yeah let's not.

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 24, 2011, 11:51:35 pm »
maggiekarp, your avatar was incredibly appropriate for that post. Magus looks very uncomfortable.  :D

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #486 on: April 25, 2011, 12:05:45 am »
maggiekarp, your avatar was incredibly appropriate for that post. Magus looks very uncomfortable.  :D

I wonder which avatar you got  :P I got one that worked pretty well too...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 12:15:11 am by Licawolf »

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 25, 2011, 12:38:22 am »
Haha, that's even better. Mine was of the Prophet clutching his cloak and looking disturbed.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 25, 2011, 03:48:07 am »
Know what I think doesn't get discussed enough around here? Magus's journey as a metaphor for child molestation.

If you think it is, gie us a reason why. It isn't like a lot of what Magus does couldn't be based off of or interpreted by a corrupted Freudian theory of some sort.

Satoh

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Am I your dream... or are you mine...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 06, 2012, 09:38:19 pm »

If you think it is, gie us a reason why. It isn't like a lot of what Magus does couldn't be based off of or interpreted by a corrupted Freudian theory of some sort.

Far from "couldn't;" The fact is, Magus suits the paradigm of an abused child perfectly. Perhaps not necessarily sexual abuse, but abuse nonetheless.

He develops an obsession with an older sibling figure; he becomes jaded into thinking the world is unimportant and an obstacle toward his goals; he focuses solely on a goal, one of destructive consequences; He strives to protect someone that for all intents and purposes is as good as dead logically, and will never be found.

Basically he's dissociating from his parental figures (who abuse him through neglect), imprinting on his sister (who cares for him at some capacity due to their absence), because of this he focuses his entire attention on her, and when she disappears, his world shatters and he does nothing but try to find her, instead of growing up.

Magus, or Janus really, is damaged goods. He is arguably still a child.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 07, 2012, 02:39:43 pm »
Originally Magus wasn't completely obsessed with Schala though. His main goal was beating Lavos, and he "sacrificed" Schala to get the chance and he failed at it. That's why in RD he tells Serge not to make the same mistake he did, to protect Kid instead of fighting Lynx.

But after CT:DS he just became another sister-obsessed anime guy wah wah wah I complain about this all the time

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 07, 2012, 10:56:10 pm »
Originally Magus wasn't completely obsessed with Schala though. His main goal was beating Lavos, and he "sacrificed" Schala to get the chance and he failed at it. That's why in RD he tells Serge not to make the same mistake he did, to protect Kid instead of fighting Lynx.

But after CT:DS he just became another sister-obsessed anime guy wah wah wah I complain about this all the time

Gotta love flandarization.

.........I blame the fanbase.

*runs*

Satoh

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Am I your dream... or are you mine...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 07, 2012, 11:36:23 pm »

Gotta love flandarization.

.........I blame the fanbase.

*runs*

Really? I blame Squenix phoning it in doing another crapping port instead of actually spending some time and figuring out what the FUTURE of the series is rather than the obvious PAST.

Or more likely someone said "Hey what's the most pirated game in our arsenal? Lets port it so we can justify it not being considered abandonware, regardless of the obvious tenuousness of the term 'abandonware.'"

Squenix is the epitome of "Yes I consider it rotting garbage, but it's still MY rotting garbage. The fact that you want it for something just gives me more reason not to let you have it."

BFG

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 12, 2012, 07:26:11 pm »
I haven't read through the entire 33-page post (or even close to it) yet, but I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed creating the "Magus solo vs. Lavos" video on Youtube.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 16, 2012, 03:44:22 pm »
Didn't his special scythe up his power because the game thought the other characters were dead?

See, he's not more powerful alone, he's more powerful when he's lonely!