Author Topic: Is Magus really all that cool?  (Read 108716 times)

1st Mate Bob

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: Is Magus really all that cool?
« Reply #435 on: June 29, 2010, 11:36:28 pm »
I'm also on the small bandwagon of people who don't really find the "I'm cool" archetypes all too 'cool'.  I find their act tiresome and boring.
See, I personally don't see Magus as someone playing off the "I'm cool" act. Thinking back on my impression of the character, I find him to be someone who had lost all faith in humanity after being betrayed by someone he used to hold in high regards (his mother). As a child, stuff like that seems to stick with you. After this he gets taken in and eventually worshiped by the mystics, which are basically monsters, he in turn becomes something of a "monster" himself. Because he grew up in such an environment, he doesn't seem to have basic human social skills. This leaves him to come off as being a "douche" or putting on the act of "I'm cool" whereas instead he just doesn't know how to civilly communicate with non-mystics. Him deciding to help out with resurrecting Crono could be him putting aside his hatred and coming to terms with himself.

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #436 on: June 30, 2010, 02:16:07 am »
When I was younger, I used to think Magus was the coolest character ever. Going back and re-playing the game when I'm older and have a greater sense of the moral weight of people's actions, he seems a lot less appealing. I mean, he manipulates an entire race of people and starts a devastating war to satisfy his own personal ends - know anyone in real-world history like that? Being older and more cynical now, I'm far less inclined to forgive such actions on the basis of having had a really crappy childhood.

That said, I think one of the touching things about the story is Magus's gradual redemption, and the way in which it slowly and subtly comes to the surface that he is not, in fact, as much of a monster as he tries to act like he is. I also really liked the new ending in Chrono Trigger DS, and I think it represents a critical evolution in his character. [SPOILER ALERT] Schala's rejection of his attempts to free her forces him to accept the fact that his nihilistic pursuit of power is ultimately a dead end, and to confront how twisted he has become since he was the young boy whom Schala knew when she was herself. It's a pretty interesting irony - his crimes have led to him being helpless in the only thing he ever truly wanted to accomplish, and to redeem himself he starts all over again. How do I explain this...? Eh. I'll try tomorrow.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #437 on: July 05, 2010, 02:05:30 pm »
I always sort of saw it as his (Magus) wanting to know it (the use of the Time Egg) was possible. He even got to see Schala again...but to Magus, first thing's first: taking down Lavos...as for that line, was there a de-Woosley'd version or was that the basic sentiment in the original script as well...?

Oh, and for some reason I want Lucca's middle name to be Eleanor now, maggiekarp...

Wouldn't you think that if he had any inclination that it did work that he would have used it to save Schala? If you have Magus with you when you make the switch he says something along the lines of "What a waste, nothing is changed at all." I don't have the script in front of me since I'm at work but I know he says something near to that. So, with that wouldn't you think that he would just find Gaspar himself and try and convince him to use the egg on Schala?

Hayden

• Guardian (+100)
  • Shadow, Sonic and Tails are FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 13, 2010, 05:53:29 am »
I am all for Magus and everything, but the thing I don't get is the love for Schala. :?

Thats hes Sister Pretty Much hes sister was the only one he liked also hes Cat named alfador too
He wanted to get revenge to Lavos for putting him in 600 A.D

Hayden

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 13, 2010, 06:09:56 am »
Magus' Magic is still impressive in that he seemingly had to overcome a lot in order to use it at all...whereas Crono & Co. had their Magic unlocked by a God (? I forget if that was 'bunked as a Woosley or the other way around, but still...! God or not, Spekkio is still a mighty, outside force) because they learned how to walk and turn right (holy crap, Spekkio turned them into runway models!!) and, again, boss battles Magus didn't have to help him level early on in his Magical endeavors (as far as we know, anyway)...

As for Team Omega Flare's "problem"...What's so effective about wasting two characters' turns (turns that could go into attacking with single techs or a good attacking double tech) instead of just one? And I'm never down enough to need 999 healing for the whole team anyways. Heal Beam saves your butt when you need it, and although it won't bring you up to perfection, it'll still leave you with enough to survive after those rare Hallation attacks...Granted Robo's slow, but the Speed stat is the easiest to compensate for...I personally don't go for a team based on Triple Techs, though, especially since the single targeting ones with Ayla do the most damage (I think that's right anyway)...but my team is Omega Flare when Crono is elsewhere....(or when I feel like hearing Magus quotes...!)...
You are Most correct on some parts,Ayla is really strong Spekkio is not really that strong and i would recommend to do Double cure Why? because if you do double cure and fighting Lavos Core he will hit a 836 maybe even higher.  Spekkio is not Really Tough The Pink Nu form is hard, Not just hard,Extremely Hard, with a solo it would take about 25 minutes or even half a hour.

Hayden

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 13, 2010, 06:14:13 am »
When I was younger, I used to think Magus was the coolest character ever.

i am just like you I still like Magus Because of hes Magic, Hes Ultimate Technique Is Awesome i wish Magus Robo And Crono and a triple technique where they only use there ultimate Technique's

Kenshuke

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Lucca powah!
    • View Profile
    • CHRONOs WORLD
« Reply #441 on: July 24, 2010, 06:10:09 am »
Wow, 30 pages 0__o If iīm allowed Iīll post my comment.

Mmm, the first time I played the game I picked Magus for some dungeons, I thought he was great >__< but... in battle itīs just much as the others characters, he only has magical attacks and a protection, and only one target -.-. His weapon and the fact that he cannot use double and triple techniques makes him a solo character, although heīs not the best for a solo n__n

His past is really what it impacts; having fought him first, having the party against him and especially Frog. I actually thought he was a cool characters, I mean, he can fly! (Yay xD) And his mood, his cool weapon, his style (his hair is amazing :3) makes him a first-sight cool character (Iīm not sure if it says like that :P).

I have played several times, changing characters along the story but I only put Magus to learn his techs and get him off my party. I donīt dislike him, in fact, I like him, but in battle he isnīt really useful and he doesnīt have the attractive personality that have Lucca or Ayla.

But itīs just my opinion =D

idioticidioms

« Reply #442 on: August 12, 2010, 07:37:50 am »
a couple things:

First off, to KebreI: If you have never had just one family member worth a sh--, then you probably won't understand this. Schala raised Janus, not Queen Zeal. Schala was the warm one who shared in Janus' successes and failures. She was his shoulder to cry on, his handkerchief to wipe his nose and more than likely the only person Janus really got to play with due to his royal upbringing, before he got stuffed into the Middle Ages. To Janus, the boy, Schala is Sister/Mother/Goddess/Friend/etc. To Magus, the man, she is the one thing left pure in his life, when all else has ever been taken from him and ripped to shreds, he had the memory of his Schala to keep him going. Her support was enough that he never forgot it in all of his years of being made the monster by the mystics.

as for the growing argument about why Magus joined the group, helped them bring Crono back, I have a few theories based on Magus' Personality. First off, Magus is aloof, so he doesn't always say the things he wants to say. He comes off as cold, unfeeling and callous, yet he isn't those things. He feels remorse for his actions, yet is too prideful to apologize. He calls Crono and Co. weak because he sees them doing things that he considers to be weak, yet is confused when they succeed and he fails.

If at all anything, curiousity about the strength found in such weakness would make Magus aspire to view firsthand how they worked. A conscience would be another reason. Perhaps Magus felt the tiniest of pangs of remorse for all the evil he had done in his pursuit of destroying Lavos. Perhaps he felt sorry for ruining Glenn's life and Cyrus' and finally Crono's and wished to make it up with his death. He offers no resistance when you choose to kill him, except for the mandatory 'fight for your life' thing.

Magus doesn't fear death, which means that he has nothing lose. He has nothing to lose by Glenn killing him at the cape there. He has nothing to lose from joining up with them, yet he stands to learn so much more about how they work together and make strengths of their weaknesses; he has a chance to settle up with Lavos with a good group of strong fighters, and he stands a chance to redeem himself with the information that Crono can be revived. I don't think Magus sits too well on ruining the lives of three great swordsmen. There has to be a sort of respect there, even with the insults.

Really, just things to consider. Magus never really was the bad guy, he was just never really the good guy, either. He traveled whatever roads lead to his ultimate goal: the destruction of Lavos. I'm sure that to a haunted man such as him, anything other than revenge would have been an unexpected bonus.

Hayden

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 22, 2010, 03:38:28 pm »
I'm really getting tired of everyone saying that magus is the best character in either of the Chrono games.

I'm really getting tired of how out of every 5 CT fanfics I read, at least 3 center around him.

Am I really the only one who isn't freaking obsessed with Magus? I mean, come on! Sure, he's cool and all, and he's Schala's little brother, but in the end he's just BORING. He has very little Personal Development, and he always acts all stuck up, like he's better than everyone else.

AND HIS HAIR IS PURPLE >:U

Actually its Blue Haired

Quote From Glenn
"Whither the Blue Haired One"

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 22, 2010, 06:18:24 pm »
His hair is blue in the game but I've loved pictures where he has blue, purple, white, whatever hair.

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 23, 2010, 09:04:10 am »
whos picture?

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 01, 2010, 12:01:20 am »
So has Magus ever raped?

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 06, 2010, 05:27:01 am »
So has Magus ever raped?
Don't start that again!

WasteOfTime

• Iokan (+1)
  • Does not care about your fan-theory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 12, 2010, 09:03:23 am »
No. He's not. Takes up a slot and doesn't perform nearly as much damage as some of the other characters. You see his past and his story but he joins the party at a time where the game is nearly concluded and he doesn't offer all that much to the plot at that point beyond telling you that you can revive Crono.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 12, 2010, 01:12:37 pm »
True, a lot of people complain that Magus doesn't really develop as a character once he joins your party, he's just kind of whiny and doesn't even try to redeem himself. I think the development and redemption are there, but they're really downplayed and subtle. Whenever he's in your party he usually has something useful to say, meaning even if he doesn't particularly care about the task at hand he's willing to help, and at the end you can tell he sort of is starting to open up and care about things besides himself.

Quote from: Magus
We were created only to be harvested. All people...    ...and all living things...

..... It's over for you... Your life ends here!