Author Topic: Is Magus really all that cool?  (Read 108536 times)

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
Re: Is Magus really all that cool?
« Reply #465 on: January 20, 2011, 12:14:38 am »
The best parts are that she has Haste, and perhaps the most powerful single target healing spells in the game. Personally, I'd have the hardest time with Frog, because he's not quite as fast as Marle, even when they've all got ** speed, there's always a slight difference between their speeds. Ayla, Magus, Crono, Marle, Lucca, and Frog and Robo are kinda interchangeable. Robo would probably win the fight amazingly fast though, since he's got the Apocalypse Arm, and just give him some nice armor and the Dragon's Tear, and you'd pretty much insta-rape Lavos. Ayla is even more dangerous about that, since her critical rate is already astounding, and now that I've got her with the Bronze Fist, Lavos would be screwed. Crono's is easy enough, since he's got consistent damage rates and is more than fast enough to be able to slug down an elixir when he has to. Both his and Magus' magic kick ass, so the both of them would have no real problem and only have to take a little time to dip into their items. Either way, once you get up to certain levels, Lavos is just toast, no matter who you use.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 26, 2011, 12:50:52 am »
DK: Listen here's something to think about fanfic writers
DK: CANONICALLY
DK: Magus is a blonde who dies his hair
DK: which means the entire time he was being traumatized in guardia and raised to kill all humans, etc.
DK: He was staining his hair blue
maggiekarp: DK that isn't canon
maggiekarp: they never outright say it anyway
maggiekarp: just that Kid has blonde hair
DK: Like he went straight from crying because ozzie slapped his jowls to crushing blueberries with a mortar and pestle
maggiekarp: dk they never say that in chrono cross it is a myth D:
maggiekarp: stop it D:

IS IT TRUE?

Lady Marle

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Princess Nadia of Guardia a.k.a. Marle
    • View Profile
    • find me on deviantArt
« Reply #467 on: January 26, 2011, 01:00:57 am »
DK: Listen here's something to think about fanfic writers
DK: CANONICALLY
DK: Magus is a blonde who dies his hair
DK: which means the entire time he was being traumatized in guardia and raised to kill all humans, etc.
DK: He was staining his hair blue
maggiekarp: DK that isn't canon
maggiekarp: they never outright say it anyway
maggiekarp: just that Kid has blonde hair
DK: Like he went straight from crying because ozzie slapped his jowls to crushing blueberries with a mortar and pestle
maggiekarp: dk they never say that in chrono cross it is a myth D:
maggiekarp: stop it D:

IS IT TRUE?

I've heard SOMEWHERE that the Enlighten Ones dyed their hair blue in order to "separate them from the Earthbound Ones" but it was never in the game, at least the American version. I am not sure about the Japanese dialogged... and to be honest I've not read many fanfics with Magus or any other Enlightened One "dying" their hair... So I couldn't say I consider it canon.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 27, 2011, 10:52:06 pm »
Personally, I find the notion of Zealians dying their hair a bit beneath them - at least through conventional means.  In my story, when a Zealian chooses to change the color of their hair, they do so magically, often with the help of trained professionals dedicated to that task.  The rituals actually change the genetic structure of an individual's hair so that it is, in effect, naturally whatever color they choose, be it blue, purple, green, or any other conventional or unconventional color.  The transformation is so complete that the hair will continue to grow in that color for the rest of that person's life, unless it is changed again by another such ritual.

Changing hair color in this fashion is not commonly done, however, since Zeal's rigid caste system tends to limit a person's options.  The ritual is most often performed when a Zealian from a lower caste marries into a higher one.  The highest caste Zealians, such as the Imperial Family, typically have hair color in various shades of blue and silver.  High officials (like General Dalton) are sometimes seen with golden or bronze-colored hair.  Academics, adepts, or exceptionally gifted channelers (magic-users) from the lower castes typically have purple hair.  Most of the men who have ascended to the status of Guru also had purple hair in their youth.

Over hundreds of thousands of years, the technique for changing natural hair color has become so refined that the process also effects hereditary descent.  A man and a woman who were born with blonde hair and later changed that color to green are virtually assured of producing a child with green hair without any other additional rituals.  Members of the Imperial Family and the higher castes have no need to perform these rituals at all.  It is virtually unheard of for the highest castes to marry below the academic caste.  Schala was born with blue hair and Janus was born with silver hair.  (Kid is an entirely different matter which I won't get into here.)

When the Zealian Empire was destroyed in 12,000 B.G., the knowledge and the ability to magically change hair color was forever lost, and the few surviving pure-blooded Zealians were forced to begin marrying into Earthborn families in order to survive.  Over thousands of years, the unconventional Zealian hair colors began to die out and were virtually extinct by Cedric's time.  By the year 1000 G.D., only one person alive has a Zealian gene strong enough to produce a Zealian hair color – and that only through a genetic miracle by the union of Taban Ashtear and Lara Ellikson: their daughter Lucca Ashtear.  It isn't until Lucca's journey to ancient Zeal that she learns the truth of her family's heritage.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #469 on: February 04, 2011, 08:31:56 pm »
The best parts are that she (Marle) has Haste...

Sweet, her best trait makes her replaceable by a helmet!

...and perhaps the most powerful single target healing spells in the game.

Besides so-early-that-she-doesn't-have-it-yet when do you EVER need SINGLE TARGET healing?? Robo or nothing!

Ayla is even more dangerous about that, since her critical rate is already astounding, and now that I've got her with the Bronze Fist, Lavos would be screwed.

Now that you've got her Bronze Fist her Critical Hit Rate is severely impacted...Robo wins again!

Crono's is easy enough, since he's got consistent damage rates and is more than fast enough to be able to slug down an elixir when he has to. Both his and Magus' magic kick ass, so the both of them would have no real problem and only have to take a little time to dip into their items.

Using usable items (outside of the occasional Ether) is for chumps! Also, Lucca & Robo's Magics are gonna do ya more damage than Magus (though perhaps you were pointing out that their Magics are going to naturally be higher due to Crono's greater useage and Magus' likely higher level when you recruit him?).

Robo wins so much there should really be a "Robo really is all that cool!" thread....

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 05, 2011, 04:14:43 am »
I was talking about having them go one-on-one with Lavos, so for one, having a Haste Helmet on Marle wouldn't exactly be the greatest idea, since there's MUCH better headgear in the game. On her own, having something that's able to heal as powerfully as her spells do is amazingly useful, since her first Cure spell does great, especially since it doesn't cost as much as Robo's more effective healing spells.

The argument I have between Robo and Ayla is that, even if Robo's critical rate stays higher than Ayla's when she gets the Bronze Fist, with the Apocalypse Arm, Robo does shit instead of the thousand or so that Ayla can pull when the hit isn't critical. Just give her a Dragon's Tear if you're feeling a little less confident.

And chumps my ass. You try beating Queen Zeal without using elixirs or megaelixirs, and I'll concede.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 07, 2011, 03:38:59 pm »
I meant that Haste, the spell Marle has to waste a turn to cast (if it isn't 1-on-1 it turns into about 2.5 turns or so, right? You're totally right about Single Target healing if you're doing 1-on-1), that you said was the best part of her is something you can get by giving people (other, non-Marle, people who will all be better) Haste Helms. Speed>Status Protection (which you can also get elsewhere)>Defense. The best defense is a speedy offense (remember offense? Marle doesn't).

I was mostly just kidding about the critical hit stuff because Robo's is terrible throughout whereas Ayla just gets better (a status along with an awesome critical hit %?!) until she hits the Bronze Fist (I wish there was an option to switch back to Iron even though that doesn't make sense because they're her fists...). But anyways, it's mostly redundant because how many things are you just attacking anyways? Techs seem more effective over time than trying to rely on Critical Hits. Also, Gold Studs 4 Life.

I'm fairly sure that you don't need Mega Elixers for either form of Zeal. Ethers, yes. Only Single-Target healers fear Hallation (again, you would be right if still speaking about 1-on-1). :P

Robo's real flaws are a low starting Speed (there are Speed Tabs EVERYWHERE) and his low M. Def (oh no! not the first stat everyone **s! plus, he makes up for it by maxing his HP before everyone).[/offtopic-ish]

...and Magus!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:47:08 pm by V_Translanka »

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 08, 2011, 05:09:27 am »
All of this stuff keeps making me wish I could hack the game into doing a solo campaign for the game. I mean, once you get into high eighties, low nineties, everything is still shit in comparison to any of the characters. Whatever it is, it gets curb-stomped. I actually think it's kinda funny how Queen Zeal, who's supposed to be Lavos' lackey, is harder to beat than he is. A one-on-one between Magus and her would be very meaningful, not to mention difficult, even if he had ** level or something.

I actually remember seeing on YouTube at one point this guy who hacked into CT and did a mano-e-mano thing between him and Lavos, and he actually did pretty good. Again, also hacked it to have max stats and a healthy supply of Elixirs, but I don't think he had to use them all that much. The Doom Sickle was pretty nuts on damage, especially since it was just one person, and since the game wouldn't normally be able to have only Magus on his own, it registered that the other two were "dead," which gave his a serious boost in damage. Kinda chaeting on that part, but meh.

As for the offense, yeah, she'd have a terrible time with that. In the DS, she gets a bow called the Venus Bow, which is a guaranteed 777 damage on each hit. As long as you kept her health up, you wouldn't have to worry too much about consistency, it would just be that the rate of damage would be amazingly sluggish. I hear you on that, at least. Magus can at least whip out a thousand damage (roughly) with a physical hit, and I've got his Dark Matter doing well over 3000 now. He would just fry Lavos, even if he's not at ** yet.

I do find it funny that Glenn is supposed to be Magus' rival. I can hardly get Glenn to do 1000 on a critical, even with the Masamune (II), whereas with Magus + Dreamreaper, his crits do anywhere from 3200-4000, with the x4 critical damage.

Even with that grade of equipment though, I still think that Crono is amazingly powerful, even compared to someone like Ayla, who does just as much, if not more, than Crono physically. He's like Magus backwards, but if you were to also give a hefty boost to his Magic as well, which I've done with just about all of the Magic Tabs/Capsules that I find. Crono's magic is right around the low nineties now, and he does over 6000 with Luminaire. Very scary damage. The only thing that Magus has had over him is that his Magic stats max out very early, long before even Lucca's, and that's kinda become a moot point now. As I said before though, he's just a touch faster than Crono, and even then I've seen Crono get the jump on him as well.

I think the reason why people find Magus so great is because of his significance in the storyline. Sure, he's still able to keep up with the rest of the crew in battle, but he's still not all that great in-game. Better fighters exist elsewhere, although he's still not all that bad. Not a team player, though. But with how big of a part he plays in the narrative part of the story, having him on your team is kinda gratifying. It would be like if you could have had Golbez on your team in FFIV, even if it's as late in the game as the end of the Giant of Babil. Magus comes in late himself, just about as late by scale as when Golbez's mind is freed, since by then it was perfectly canon to go and beat Lavos at that point (almost, actually, since you still have to resurrect Crono). His relation to Schala, who happens to be the character that everyone likes the most, simply adds more to his charm, and how he interacts with other characters makes him seem like so much more. He's an anti-hero, which really stands out from the rest of the group, and it makes the idea of having someone to add to the group's diversity all the more attractive.

Lady Marle

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Princess Nadia of Guardia a.k.a. Marle
    • View Profile
    • find me on deviantArt
« Reply #473 on: February 08, 2011, 04:35:36 pm »
I have a question on what everyone thinks of Magus's personal life, so to speak. I've read a lot of different theories and observations from various sources. Some are as simple as he has no interest in anyone, he's just motivated to do as he wills (i.e. Locate Schala especially) and others will find him interested in just about anyone or create an OC for his interests.

I found him an interesting character because he can go so many different ways. As Manly Man said, he's very much the anti-hero, but many people like him. Personally speaking, I always found him to be more dark then most people would've, twisted even to the point he was only concerned with getting what he wanted regardless of who or what got in his way. I've noticed a lot of people, especially from the Eastern cultures seem to share the thought process of him having some major issues, not to mention being in love with his sister, hinting potentially evening manipulating Queen Zeal when posing as Prophet. Psychologically, one might be able to justify such a claim. As a child, Janus was not considered much of anything by the kingdom or those around him, aside from his visions and intuitive nature. The only 'friend' he had was Alfador, and the only person we can assume ever really showed him true kindness and love was Schala (he was the prince, naturally some brown-nosing probably occurred). Because he was thrown back into the Middle Ages, thus continuing the strand of cruelty and ostracizing probably at first by Ozzie and company, evolving somewhere into a superiority complex as he rose in his power and status. Long story short, he never experienced the normal things we would as people growing up in a social environment, love, friends, relationships, etc, therefore potentially something got "stuck" in his social development. I think this is where people get the idea that he was so desperate to find Schala, more so then most because of a deeper love then just a sibling bond.

The guy has mommy issues regardless. I can only imagine what one might consider his psychological profile to be upon deeper analysis if we EVERYTHING that happened to him, (i.e the untold chapters of his life both while in Zeal and the time frame and process of him going from Janus to Magus).

Either way, he's clearly demented in a frighteningly genius way, I think it's apart of his charm though :)

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 08, 2011, 11:40:03 pm »
This might sound like a joke answer, but consider Batman. There's a very basic canon there that most everyone knows about, Bruce Wayne's parents are murdered and he grows up to fight crime as The Batman, and people take it hundreds of different ways. The direction he takes in an individual story and the believability of that development largely depends on the writer.

To answer a more specific question, I think Magus having a romantic interest or obsession with Schala is perfectly believable, but I don't think it can be said that finding her was his sole purpose throughout his life. After all, he did put destroying Lavos above protecting Schala during his time as the Prophet, even if he later regretted it. There are bits and pieces of canon that can be ignored for the sake of a good story, but every time I read a sentence like "I ONLY EVER THOUGHT OF YOU SCHALA, THROUGH ALL THE TORTURE AND MURDER AND RAPE, AND HOW YOU WERE DEFINITELY STILL ALIVE AFTER 12,600 YEARS AND A REASONABLE GOAL, ALSO I WANT TO LICK YOUR PRETTY PRETTY FACE", it rings about as true to me as "also Magus and Frog were totally making out in the Epoch" in every other fanfic.

That's probably why my favorite Magus in a fanfic doesn't have any internal dialogue shown. He just acts, and do what a Magus do.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 09, 2011, 01:56:39 am »
I'm not much of a shipper, and don't really care who people ship, but I don't understand the reasoning behind "Magus wanted to find and save Schala, so he must be in love with her."  If people want to ship Magus and Schala that's fine, but his determination to find his sister doesn't prove he was in love with her.  I'd go through hell and back (and pretty much have) if it meant protecting my two siblings.  We're a very close family, and I've gone to extreme lengths to keep my brothers out of harm's way.  Maybe Magus loved Schala in more than a sibling way.  Maybe he didn't.  I have no idea.  I just know that I'd do whatever it took to rescue my brothers, and all that says about our relationship is that I care about them, I love them as a sister, and I want them to be safe.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 09, 2011, 09:28:39 am »
I don't think it's about absolute proof, just that if Magus was gonna be in love with anyone, it might as well be the person you actually know he cared about. I like the idea of a close sibling relationship between Magus and Schala, an older-younger sibling (almost uncle-niece) relationship between Magil and Kid, and a channeling his severe sister-complex relationship between Magus and Marle. "UNCLE MAGUS" is just fun to say.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 09, 2011, 01:12:56 pm »
Guh, I started to post a big post about Magus' intentions and then realized I've been posting the same thing over & over in this thread...

We know he wants revenge and obviously feels something for the only person he ever really liked (his only friend aside from his childhood pet)...So what? Did that revenge burn in him the entirety of his time in the late 500's? It's easy to see him as a Redeemer because if he truly wants to save Schala and maybe help avert the future he was stuck in (non-Magical earthbound humans at war with monsters with a clear advantage) then his path of revenge is his only option: Lavos must die. The path to hell is paved with good intentions, after all...

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 10, 2011, 07:31:20 pm »
Quote from: DK
"Now, my young master," Ozzie hissed, floating above the ravenous crowd. "Your eightteenth nameday marks your acension into manhood and your blooding as a Mystic warrior. But first, you must pass the final rite."
"The Final Rite!" Howled the Nagaettes in brittle glass voices. "The Final Rite!"
"Yes, my fleshy lump," Ozzie continued, pulling away the coverlet from the table to reveal a sugar glazed bundt cake. "It is time. It is time."
"It is time to
FUCK
THE
CAKE"
The Henches roared in an orgiastic frenzy
"FUCK THE CAKE"
"FUCK THE CAKE"
Magus whipped his codpiece away with a flourish that he didn't feel. As he mounted the cake, somewhere deep inside him, Janus cried his last tear and tucked himself away from sight, hidden, separate and divorced from the arcane, murderous cakefucker that Magus had become.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 10, 2011, 10:16:11 pm »
...The fuck?

The cake, I mean.

It should have totally been red velvet. I'd have laughed even harder at that.