Author Topic: Chrono Trigger's "Swallow"? My Theory.  (Read 5056 times)

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger's "Swallow"? My Theory.
« on: April 13, 2008, 11:00:33 pm »
I recently discovered a secret weapon you can get for Crono by opening one of those black boxes, and it is called a Swallow.

I'm sure you all know that Serge weilds a numerous amount of Swallows in Cross. But I have a theory:

The black treasure boxes are branded with the insignia of Zeal, which you open with The Pendant.

However, you cannot actually open the boxes until Schala dissapeared, correct? No one knows where Schala went, and It isn't explained until Chrono Cross when she was saved by Serge and fused with Kid.

Perhaps seeing the events of Chrono Cross, Schala traveled to the past sometime after CC and placed various sealed boxes in every era in order to Help Crono and the rest of the party on their quest. And one would be Serge's Swallow.

But why then would it be the second most powerful weapon in the game? one answer: It's the Mastermune.

The Mastermune is the second most powerful weapon you can use in Cross, right below the Spectra Swallow. This is the same with "Crono's" Swalloe, right under the Rainbow Sword which is also forged from Rainbow Shell like the Spectra Swallow. However, after all that hard work defeating Dario, you can't take it into a new game plus.

Why? Simply because Schala (the fused being) takes the Mastermune to give it to Crono.

But that doesn't explain why the Swallow in Trigger was the shape of a Katana. My conclusion to this is that Schala reformed it in order to fit Croo's fighting style.

But what doe severyone else think?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Chrono Trigger's "Swallow"? My Theory.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 05:05:34 am »
Crono's Swallow

Nice theory, but it doesn't look like it cuts the mustard. Also, the second most powerful sword isn't the Swallow...>_> It's the Shiva Edge: 170 ATK & 4x Critical Hit DMG! The Swallow only has 145 ATK & SPD +3. Slasher 2 also beats out Swallow w/155 ATK. Kali Blade, another sealed chest sword, has 150 ATK...

The sealed chests are weapons & items scattered from Zeal.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 11:01:00 am »
And not only that, as interesting of a theory as it is, it wouldn't necessarily fit...

That's because Chrono Cross happened as a result of Chrono Trigger's finale (the destruction of Lavos and the creation of a new future).  Assuming that Schala, as a part of the Time Devourer, created these chests to help aide Crono and Friends, takes on a view of Fatalism (of sorts), particularly that all the events will happen despite the outcome (it all is 'destined' to happen and will happen as such, no matter what).

It's a GOOD theory!  It's pretty interesting, too!

It just isn't viable with what we know...

Sorry homeslice...  Nice to see you're being proactive, though!  Sometimes it takes people a while before they feel comfortable enough to jump on in!  Keep it up!

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 07:44:07 pm »
Thanks. And about the Swallow not being the second most powerful weapon in the game, I've only played through Trigger once, as opposed to playing through Cross twice. So I'm not really too familiar with every weapon. :/

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 09:40:19 pm »
Understandible mistake. But if I might make a suggestion, a little research goes a long way.

But you're thinking creatively, I like that. Keep it up.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 10:02:19 pm »
Yar, I love going through the Compendium cause I love the fact that it has all the item/weapon/armor/etc images! Great resource. It's a MUST USE!

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 05:31:30 pm »
I would use it moar if I knew how to insert images. :/

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 07:42:33 am »
I enjoyed reading that.  fyi, though, you can open those black chests before Schala disappears. 

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 03:50:05 am »
What? But you have to have already powered up the Pendant to open them, which you can't do w/o having seen Schala.

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 07:55:51 am »
However, you cannot actually open the boxes until Schala dissapeared, correct? No one knows where Schala went, and It isn't explained until Chrono Cross when she was saved by Serge and fused with Kid.

in this context, disappeared refers to when she dies at Ocean Palace.  When I first played the game, i was so antsy to open the locked doors and chests that I opened them all right after Magus kicked me out of Zeal after fighting Golem.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 06:38:46 am »
Oh, my bad, I read that wrong, I guess...I thought that you said before Schala appears...whoops.

deviant_ambition

• Guardian (+100)
  • "Reality is irrelevant; Perception is everything."
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 07:23:48 am »
And not only that, as interesting of a theory as it is, it wouldn't necessarily fit...

It's a GOOD theory!  It's pretty interesting, too!

It just isn't viable with what we know...

Sorry homeslice...  Nice to see you're being proactive, though!  Sometimes it takes people a while before they feel comfortable enough to jump on in!  Keep it up!
QFT.  Very good theory.

When I first played the game, i was so antsy to open the locked doors and chests that I opened them all right after Magus kicked me out of Zeal after fighting Golem.
hehe me too!  "Hurry up and wait", they say.

Deezer509

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I enjoy it.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Clad - become a fan
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 11:39:15 am »
The black treasure boxes are branded with the insignia of Zeal, which you open with The Pendant.

I believe you can open those boxes after having charged the pendant in the M.Machine, just like the doors in 2300 AD.  So it's correlated with the M.Machine as opposed to Schala's specific disappearance.

yujinishuge

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 02:15:16 am »
There is no Swallow.  It's a name given to the sword by Woosley.  The Japanese name of the sword isn't Swallow.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 04:12:54 am »
I always thought it was a dumb name for that sword since it's not even a swallow sword but just a katana. Another one of Woosley's bad translations.